Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Kiss Honda the other day for state inspection and asked them about new pipes. Their price was $100 more than online but they wouldn't mind if I brought them the pipes. heir jet kit is $100 and charge 3 hours of labor. Figuring $600 for HK K2s, the thing is gonna cost me close to 900 bucks. I dunno.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Assuming you have a 1300 (jet kit) and it would be my recommendation to get a spare set of stockers.... modify them and get some nice sound (for awhile) After you tire of the noise, you can go back to your stock pipes and save your ears.... :lol: And look at all the money you will be saving.....

G

·
That's a good point.
I am currently thinking about putting my stock pipes on.
Maybe just to humor myself but .......?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Shredder,
I was the Honda dealer today in Chadds Ford having some work done. Another guy was having a set of Sideburners pipes put on his 1300 Retro. His stock pipes were in great shape. The service manager (Patrick) said they were going to hold onto them for a few days and then toss them if nobody wanted them. If they fit your bike may be worthwhile giving him a call.
Joe

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JacII but I am interested in HKs. Not sure another stock Rs are much different than what I have now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd say:

Save some money..... Buy them online, and install them yourself.. ...then only get the Dyno work done if you need to.

I've got a set of stockers with the "Clayton Mod" done on them if you want 'em you can have 'em (shipping not included.. :) ) I'll never reinstall them, as they pretty much sound like what they are......an exhaust leak. They sound better than nothing, but after awhile it'll remind you of a lawn tractor with a bad muffler and you'll end up putting on new ones on anyway..

Good Luck!
Bruce...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More than the sound, I dislike the look of stock pipes so drilling won't help. I am afraid I'll get stuck somewhere in the middle if I do it myself. In fact I KNOW I will. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Did the side burners last year and never touched the carb...just and FYI
Dagrizz

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
TRUST ME...you can definitely do it yourself. I did and the only thing I messed up was when I ordered crush gaskets from HDL, I thought they came in a pair or 2pack....DUH, that makes too much sense. So I had to run to West Hills Honda to get the second crush gasket.

Take your time, everything will fit just fine and you will get er done. I am a mechanical moron and I did it ALONE!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
bmarkey said:
but after awhile it'll remind you of a lawn tractor with a bad muffler
That's what all Honda vtwins sound like in my opinion. I hated the sound of my V&H pipes, but I found if you quiet them down a bit, they don't sound as bad. I have the V&H "quiet" baffles that I modified for better flow & then wrapped with ceramic cloth to muffle them a bit.

Still sounds like a Honda with pipes, just not so obnoxious.

I originally went with the V&H big shots for performance & cosmetics. I was happy with the sound of my original exhaust (some baffles removed - a little louder than stock, but not too loud), just didn't care for the look of a 6" sewer pipe hanging on the side of the bike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
sskillett said:
bmarkey said:
but after awhile it'll remind you of a lawn tractor with a bad muffler
That's what all Honda vtwins sound like in my opinion.
Not ALL Honda's... just those pesky 1800's.. ;)

Just kidding. One of the guys I was riding with down at the Hoot this year had some V&H's with the Loud baffles and it sounded pretty good when he really got on it.

You can definately do it yourself, and if you're still nervous, enlist some help! You know what it's supposed to look like when it's done, just figure out how to get it to look like that! :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
With a name like Shredder, you need the HK SideBurners.... if you have a 1300R or S that is..... and install them yourself. Mine took just over an hour start to finish (with an extra set of hands to help).

Greg

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Installing pipes is not as daunting as it seems. I don't know about you but I don't part with 900 bucks very easily, that's why I perform my own mods. I also question 3 hours labor! Yikes!

If you try it and succeed, it's a wonderful feeling and you'll have saved hundreds of dollars! Be sure to install new gaskets to prevent any leaks.

On my V&H, I installed a couple SS washers to prevent the acorn nuts from bottoming out. Some have replaced the acorn nuts with regular nuts and washers.

Surely, you ride with folks who've done their own pipes? Get a bud to help you and an hour later you'll have a mile-wide grin!

My two cents (or 90,000 cents)! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was at Ken Carr Honda once when they were in King of Prussia. The mechanic had just installed a pair of pipes and was getting backfires. Had a heck of a time figuring it out. What is the risk of this happening to me because I'll be totally lost.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Sure sounds like they didn't replace the gaskets. Replacing the gaskets is a MUST!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts