Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is anyone that hasn't done it yet and want to buy some plates let me know.
I make them from stainless then polish them so they look better than the "store bought" black plates.
I made some bungee hooks for caps from stainless that look like this....(got some of those too if anybody needs).

·
Registered
573 Posts
I used Tomm's desmog plates & they work great! Nice fit & they look nice. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
xpodell, something was fubarred in your return PM, so I couldn't open it.

How much for a set 'o them fancy plates or the bungey hooks?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything from HDL is free shipping........if you buy more than $100.
Also as you can see, the surface shows that they might have been tumbled to deburr them, but they are not finished. Nobody bothered to polish them. Here's why.
Stainless steel is much harder than mild steel. Takes a lot more time to polish. 1 pair probably takes me an hour to polish. If a person doesn't care if they're polished or not I can sell them for $10. They don't look as nice, but they saved some $$. I didn't think $10/hour is too much to polish them. Most people make more than that at their regular jobs.
Also, I figure if I'm going to put parts on my bike, I'd like to know I'm getting parts that look good, and my friends think look good. The last thing I want to hear is "yeah the desmog makes the top of your motor look less cluttered. Too bad those black plates don't blend in with the chrome." or even "yeah they look better than the black ones, too bad they don't shine like the rest of the chrome. I guess you could say I'm into detail. Even the things that aren't readily seen on my bike I think should look good. Chances are if the $15 plates were polished, they'd be more expensive than the black aluminum plates.
If you look at the picture of the plates in the link you posted and the picture of the hooks I posted, there's a bit of a difference.
The other thing I noticed is, they look kinda thin. Hard to tell from the small picture. If they get hot there is more of a chance they'll discolor from the heat if they're too thin. Thicker metal won't discolor as easily. Would be a shame to go through all the trouble to put shiny plates on and have them all discolored after only a few miles.
If you want to save a few bucks, buy the cheaper plates. If you want some shiny ones, let me know.
I've made a few sets of these, and by no means am I making any huge profits from this. Just offering something I think is a better alternative.

P.S. Hooks are $10. I've got 2Xs and have them on both. Can't imagine not having them.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Yeah...I was just commenting to steve-o about the fact that HDL now charges a $7.50 handling fee on orders under $100. Tomm's plates are by far better than any on the market and he should be asking more for them. Tomm is very meticulous about everything he makes, and he wouldn't sell them if they weren't killer. You got some pictures of your plates Tomm?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
MnXRider said:
Yeah...I was just commenting to steve-o about the fact that HDL now charges a $7.50 handling fee on orders under $100. Tomm's plates are by far better than any on the market and he should be asking more for them. Tomm is very meticulous about everything he makes, and he wouldn't sell them if they weren't killer. You got some pictures of your plates Tomm?
heck i would buy it from Tomm for two reasons 1. he is local, not some big company that don't care about me 2. and knowing him and meeting him he defiantly cares for his bikes which says a lot about the stuff he makes!

so yeah basically i am just repeating what Rob said... :roll:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to get some pics of them tonight after work.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
xpodell said:
Everything from HDL is free shipping........if you buy more than $100.
Also as you can see, the surface shows that they might have been tumbled to deburr them, but they are not finished. Nobody bothered to polish them. Here's why.
Stainless steel is much harder than mild steel. Takes a lot more time to polish. 1 pair probably takes me an hour to polish. If a person doesn't care if they're polished or not I can sell them for $10. They don't look as nice, but they saved some $$. I didn't think $10/hour is too much to polish them. Most people make more than that at their regular jobs.
Also, I figure if I'm going to put parts on my bike, I'd like to know I'm getting parts that look good, and my friends think look good. The last thing I want to hear is "yeah the desmog makes the top of your motor look less cluttered. Too bad those black plates don't blend in with the chrome." or even "yeah they look better than the black ones, too bad they don't shine like the rest of the chrome. I guess you could say I'm into detail. Even the things that aren't readily seen on my bike I think should look good. Chances are if the $15 plates were polished, they'd be more expensive than the black aluminum plates.
If you look at the picture of the plates in the link you posted and the picture of the hooks I posted, there's a bit of a difference.
The other thing I noticed is, they look kinda thin. Hard to tell from the small picture. If they get hot there is more of a chance they'll discolor from the heat if they're too thin. Thicker metal won't discolor as easily. Would be a shame to go through all the trouble to put shiny plates on and have them all discolored after only a few miles.
If you want to save a few bucks, buy the cheaper plates. If you want some shiny ones, let me know.
I've made a few sets of these, and by no means am I making any huge profits from this. Just offering something I think is a better alternative.
You are right, it makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Ervin

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a picture of one of my block off plates with a bolt on top to show the reflective surface.
There is NO chrome on these plates. Plating stainless doesn't work.
What you see here is polished stainless that wont rust or oxidize.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Man that camera works good Tom! I got to get you to shoot my bike!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx fer thu kynde werdz gize. 8)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Where do the bungee hooks mount? Got a pic of them on the bike?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thunk these up to help cary stuff if you don't have any other means of hooking bungee straps to your bike without hooking directly to your fender.
I've got no sissy bar, lugage rack....nothing to hook onto, so anything I cary, uses them. I use them every day I take my bike to work. They hold my lunchbox. :eat1:
Here's what they look like on the bike.

They're nice to have, as they aren't real obvious and don't stick out when not in use.
They're a bit tricky to instal however. Mechanical ability is a requirement at this level.
It requires that you remove and re-install your top shock mount bolt. :shock:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hey Tomm,

One set of desmog plates please!

I agree, from the photos and the earlier posts - you take pride in your work sir!

Please let me know how you'd like to recieve payment and we can figure out the delivery.

Thanks,

Pappy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a picture of one of my heads withone of my plates installed (pay no attention to the fingerprints).
Blends right in with the rest of the chrome on the head. 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts