Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 1800 Retro HK Sideburners

I did the desmog test this week end. Just pluged the hole with a "000" rubber stopper and then rode about 70 miles. The tone did change to a little deeper and sounds great at startup, idle and highway speeds. Problem is I am getting even more decel popping now though the popping is not as loud as before but allot more now. It is very anoying through in town driving.

Was there something else I needs to do? Really do not want to get a HPP or PC if I do not have to.

When I changed the pipes I did add new gasgets and have torqued them and retorqued.

Any other suggestions ??

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
NCBEAST said:
2002 1800 Retro HK Sideburners

I did the desmog test this week end. Just pluged the hole with a "000" rubber stopper and then rode about 70 miles. The tone did change to a little deeper and sounds great at startup, idle and highway speeds. Problem is I am getting even more decel popping now though the popping is not as loud as before but allot more now. It is very anoying through in town driving.

Was there something else I needs to do? Really do not want to get a HPP or PC if I do not have to.

When I changed the pipes I did add new gasgets and have torqued them and retorqued.

Any other suggestions ??
I can only say that the de-smog coupled with the air intake (plastic cut-away) enlargement and Bosh Plus 4 4419 plugs did me good. A little popping now and then but with standard air intake and V&H pipes it got me 99.2hp to the rear tire , this past Saturday.

Some say don't de-smog others of us like it???? go fig? PR

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
There might be a small leak at either the exhaust ports or around that plug. If you can get a cigarette run it around the exhausts to see if the smoke gets sucked in. Wow, I'm beat :shock:
The air may also be coming from the pair hoses. You may want to cap the valves or do the whole removal before going to a fuel manager. 8)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
NCBEAST said:
All I did was the plug. Was I suppose to do something else just for the test?
No, if you had done more it could have possibly caused other problems.

Recheck the exhaust for leaks, it's possible that with the PAIR disabled you're getting lower pressure in the exhaust from increased exhaust scavenging. This in turn could pull more air into the exhaust and potentially cause what you're experiencing.

Check for leaks using some smoke and see if you can find the culprit. If there are NO leaks and you're still popping then it might be time to get a dyno pull to see where your A/F ratio is. Not a custom map, just a pull to gauge your A/F ratio - it's possible you could be too lean. :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I am lean, the only way to fix that is with a fuel manager...correct?

Can I get by with a Cobra or the TFI?? Was hoping I would not have to add one of those.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
NCBEAST said:
If I am lean, the only way to fix that is with a fuel manager...correct?

Can I get by with a Cobra or the TFI?? Was hoping I would not have to add one of those.
I'm not saying you will need one, test for exhaust leaks first. If you DO need one then you could get by with a TFI type unit but I wouldn't. Power Commander and HPP units can do so much more than the TFI types, I just think it's worth the extra bucks. :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked last night and retightened the acorns again. They are really tight.

I will check tonight with smoke to see if I can see a leak.

About the fuel manager. I do not need any more performance....this beast has plenty of power. Just want a smooth ride with a no popping.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
NCBEAST said:
I checked last night and retightened the acorns again. They are really tight.

I will check tonight with smoke to see if I can see a leak.

About the fuel manager. I do not need any more performance....this beast has plenty of power. Just want a smooth ride with a no popping.
That's just it, the PC3 and HPP units aren't all about performance - but they do give you MUCH more opportunity to dial in your bike and get it running smoothly. I compare running a TFI versus the other units to running a PC3 with the wrong map... The bike runs but it really isn't nearly as smooth as it could be. There are many people that run the TFI type units and LOVE them, I am merely stating my opinion - I wouldn't run one when I could spend a few more bucks and get the bike dialed in just right. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I have same setup bro..the desmog helped, but i still added a fuel manager...(cobra FI tripod 2000

remember, some decel is not neccesarily a bad thing...

you should also post this over on the tech board..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the smoke test last night and no leaks.......

Guess next purchase will be a fuel manager to smooth out the ride.

Just have to decide between the Cobra, PCIII?

G

·
0 Posts
NCBEAST said:
Did the smoke test last night and no leaks.......

Guess next purchase will be a fuel manager to smooth out the ride.

Just have to decide between the Cobra, PCIII?
the cobra is cheaper, but trust me you want the PCIII....

If i had to do it over again, is the one i would get...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts