Honda VTX Forum banner

desmog

700 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ISKIVT 
#1 ·
I have am 1800 retro with a HK side burner. Getting alot of popping.

Just printed Bare's (Burgly) instructions and read through them....22 pages.

I am not a very experinced wrench but have added all of my acessories so far with the new pipes being the hardest but not too bad.

These instruction have really scared me.

Can I get some people that have done this to let me know how it went for them and how long it took them.

Also will this have any effect if I go with an after marker air filter later on??

And will the dealer have problems getting the NC inspection passed?

#2 ·
NCBEAST said:
Can I get some people that have done this to let me know how it went for them and how long it took them.
First time I did it, took about an hour and a half, but I was going very slowly and cleaning parts that have never seen soap.
NCBEAST said:
Also will this have any effect if I go with an after marker air filter later on??
No, all aftermarket intakes have you disable the pairsystem anyway.
NCBEAST said:
And will the dealer have problems getting the NC inspection passed?
This one I can't say for sure, one way or another. Most have said they have no problem passing because they check the emmisions levels at speeds, not on decelleration when the pair system works. 8)

#3 ·
Yea I agree it sounds and looks intimidating on paper but it is not that hard, order Petes reed valve block off plates and get a couple of 1/4 in rubber caps for the intake manifold nipples. Make the tank support tool from the web site ya just printed from and it should take about 45 min start to finish the first time. Will not affect any air intake mod ya want to do that I know about. As far as your state insp check with some VTX riders in NC that have done it, if ya have emmission testing may be trickey. :wink:

Be Safe

#4 ·
The instructions were excellent. I just did this last week. Might have taken longer than 45 minutes though but I was also doing the ground fix and fuel line quick disconnect (tank off) and bar swap. It seems to me that 2 of those lil screws that hold the pair valve on took longer than the rest of it put together. Keep with it, they will come out and cuz that honkin valve is gone they go back in very easy.

I couldn't locate a 1/2" vacuum cap so I used the clear tube found on the back of the airbox for that and put a 3/8" vac cap in it's place. The only other slow part (3 minutes or so vs. 3 seconds) was disconnecting that front connector. The write-up on Bares page addresses this so it wont be a big surprise.

#5 ·
The desmog is very easy to do with the great instructions supplied by Biglry/Bareass. If you get your stuff together and just go after it, I don't see why it would take over an hour. Like Chicago-Spike, I also cleaned stuff that has never seen soap and it took me about 2 hours. And I am a complete MC wrenching newb. Go for it. You won't regret it.

#7 ·
I saw some carbon on the front, not so much on the rear.

My hearing is shot but with a stock exhaust I do get a peculiar sound at takeoff. Sounds like a whale farting underwater. :shock: Once past that speed it's gone. The intake has a nice sound at 90mph and up. That bad boy must be sucking some air. :D

#10 ·
Dont let the write up Scare you it very simple I did mine in about 30 minutes. i studied the write up for a while until i got the nerve to do it. just work at your own pace and if you run into problems set down take 5 and read somemore, or post your confusuion on this board.

#11 ·
I tried to make the instructions comprehensive because everytime I post something that's missing info I get a ton of emails. I didn't intend for it to be intimidating, as it's not - I just wanted to be complete to that guys will feel more comfortable doing it because they feel like they have a better grasp of the entire project.

Biglry's original mod consisted of about 10 or 15 sentences and some pics, I was trying to make it a bit better to prevent confusion so that everyone would feel comfortable trying and completing it. It is NOT hard, just do as was suggested - work and if you stumble a bit take 5, think and read it over. :wink:

#13 ·
Took me about an hour. I had a couple of problems.

1. When taking one of the reed plates apart I snapped the gasket piece in half. After much thought I ordered a new one. While waiting for the new plate, I practiced with my dremel tool and a cut off wheel to cut the screw off and had problems with melting rubber gasket. So when I got the new plate I took a 7/64's drill and drilled out the screws, using the center of the phillips head cross on the screw as a guide. 30 seconds later I had all 3 pieces in my hand, no fuss no muss.

2. It was very time consumming to get the forward bolts in place and started on the block off plates, especially with my not so dainty meat hooks. I dropped the forward cylinder bolt about as dozen times, but finally got it.

As for popping, it has all disappeared on my bike. I have a CDS intake and Jett Ink modified pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.