Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewere on this site that Honda intentionaly made the 2003 and later vtx models vibrate more to make them "feel" more like a machine. Does anyone know for a fact if this is true ? Sounds dumb to me but who knows ? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
They didn't add vibration ,they just didn't remove it all.... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
I think he means that on earlier models they put extra stuff on to cancel out the vibrations, and then 2003 and later they just chose to leave it off...I likes me vibrations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vibrations.

OK. Is this a known fact. Does anybody know for sure ? Or has anybody driven a vtx before 2002 and a different one after 2002 model and felt more vibrations ? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
Claude said:
I read somewere on this site that Honda intentionaly made the 2003 and later vtx models vibrate more to make them "feel" more like a machine. Does anyone know for a fact if this is true ? Sounds dumb to me but who knows ? Thanks.
Here's the article that you probably read that discusses vibration in the VTX engine:

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,763 Posts
I've read something to the effect: Honda has engineered silkier/smoother v-twin engines in the past.

They chose not to go through the same lengths to engineer-out the shake on the vtx motor.

Could be true...I suppose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
I heard they put special mirrors on 2003 and up so it looks like more vibration :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vibrations.

Thanks "highplainsxer" , That thread is not where I read about the "added vibes", but that is probably where the other thread got his info. OK, so now I know Honda made the VTX vibrate on purpose. I am taking delivery of my new (04 VTX 1800N) this Thursday. I hope I enjoy it. I like a smooth running engine but from what I read it's not to bad. Thanks alot for the link, it cleared things up for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
highplainsxer said:
Claude said:
I read somewere on this site that Honda intentionaly made the 2003 and later vtx models vibrate more to make them "feel" more like a machine. Does anyone know for a fact if this is true ? Sounds dumb to me but who knows ? Thanks.
Here's the article that you probably read that discusses vibration in the VTX engine:

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
Excellent article! Thanks for the link. :p
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Claude said:
...that Honda intentionaly made the 2003 and later vtx models vibrate more to make them "feel" more like a machine...
simple answer




NO :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
BS abounding

If Honda wanted to ADD vibration, they could simply take out the counterbalancers. Fitting counterbalancers ain't cheap. Honda could save a bunch of $$$ on engines and give you the shakes.

The basic truth is that when you have the reciprocating mass of the 1800 Vtwin, it's gonna shake. Everytime one of those HUGE pistons (Remember, one 900cc cylinder is equal to all 4 cylinders in my son's old 900RR, which would do 200mph.) reverses direction, you get a big jerk on the pin/rod/crankpin.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: BS abounding

Bouxdaddy said:
If Honda wanted to ADD vibration, they could simply take out the counterbalancers. Fitting counterbalancers ain't cheap. Honda could save a bunch of $$$ on engines and give you the shakes.

The basic truth is that when you have the reciprocating mass of the 1800 Vtwin, it's gonna shake. Everytime one of those HUGE pistons (Remember, one 900cc cylinder is equal to all 4 cylinders in my son's old 900RR, which would do 200mph.) reverses direction, you get a big jerk on the pin/rod/crankpin.

My bike has a big jerk on the Sumo X seat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vibrations

Sure its a big motor. But according to that article, Honda wanted the bike to have a bit of "shake".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,766 Posts
Re: Vibrations

Claude said:
Sure its a big motor. But according to that article, Honda wanted the bike to have a bit of "shake".
I think the whole idea behind a V-twin is to have more of a mechanical feel to it (vibration) If honda was simply going for the most power and the smoothest running why not just use the goldwing engine. it is a much better design performance wise, just doesn't look and feel like most people want a cruiser engine to look and feel. marketing plays a huge role in all this!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Oops!

Sorry, I forgot that articles are never opinion, but always pure fact.

I hate to break this to some folks, but Honda did use the Gold Wing in a cruiser. It's called the Valkyrie.

But, if anyone wanted a Classic V-Twin, with the benefits of narrow width (The Valkyrie looks as wide as some cars!), Low end torque, balance, sound, and looks, that's a different case altogether.

I repeat, Honda could have saved hundreds of $$$ and made it shake just by leaving out the balancers. Bearings, shafts, counterweights, drive gears, driven gears, bigger cases, etc.etc.etc.

Oh yeah, and Pete said "No." If Pete said the VTX was made out of cheese, I'd bring the crackers. :eat1:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top