Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appologies if this has been covered in other threads, but what changes were made from the early 1800's to the last ones off the manufacturing line? Ground fix issues? Spring issues? I do like what they did with the gas tank fairly early on. Did they find any, "yeah, we gotta fix this" for later models? I had a 2002C once upon a time and I did the smog fix, ground fix, replaced the clutch, and added progressive springs, just bought a 2006N3, wondered if there are any major differences.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Appologies if this has been covered in other threads, but what changes were made from the early 1800's to the last ones off the manufacturing line? Ground fix issues? Spring issues? I do like what they did with the gas tank fairly early on. Did they find any, "yeah, we gotta fix this" for later models? I had a 2002C once upon a time and I did the smog fix, ground fix, replaced the clutch, and added progressive springs, just bought a 2006N3, wondered if there are any major differences.
'02 had a different spark plug than later years. '02-03 have the FPR issues adding up due to age. The early years had the flange bearing failures in the finals. The early years have the tank internal fuel pumps. The frames must be slightly different on the early years because later years some after market stuff does not fit. For instance Cobra Fatty engine guards will not fit the early C's. Others feel free to add to the list. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
2nd GEN--- 32 pin ECM connectors, 1 more ground wire to Common Electronics ground bolt.
A Ground wire from Starter Motor bolt to a frame bracket near bottom of radiator.
9 pin Turn signal controller with 1 filament in each front TS bulb.
TS 5amp fuse in a small fuse box(3 fuse spaces).
I believe the ECM was tweaked for better performance.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
2nd GEN--- 32 pin ECM connectors, 1 more ground wire to Common Electronics ground bolt.
A Ground wire from Starter Motor bolt to a frame bracket near bottom of radiator.
9 pin Turn signal controller with 1 filament in each front TS bulb.
TS 5amp fuse in a small fuse box(3 fuse spaces).
I believe the ECM was tweaked for better performance.
I forgot about the early models needing the 'Ground Fix'. Painted over ground-to-frame points, that over time, begin corrosion and causing electrical gremlins.

·
Super Moderator
64,383 Posts
ALL model years need the Common Electronics Ground section of the Ground Fix done.
Where the ECU grounds through the front coil mount there are 3 different metals all in contact with one another and where that meets with water and electrical current and you get galvanic corrosion that weakens the ground. It should also be done every couple years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts