Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy...My 2002 VTX 1800C runs at idle for a minute or two then dies. I am kinda thinking the fuel filter is clogged and starving the bike. Any thoughts? Regards, Jack

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
There have been many Fuel Pressure Regulators that have died from old age beginning is 2013.
Is it running rich?? Does it run at speed?? If it runs at speed not a fuel filter problem. IMHO.
1800C had problems on hard decel at half full tank or less caused by fuel sock de-lamination.
Ground Fix in 1800 Step by Step board is worth doing. 1800 ECM needs clean Grounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is running rich. It runs at speed but at a constant speed it sputters. Haven't noticed anything wrong with acceleration or deceleration. So if I am reading and thinking right what could be happening is the FPR isn't opening and letting fuel back into the tank and building up fuel in the throttle body and flooding the bike out.

I might start with the vacuum line from the throttle body to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I mean the bike is only 18 years old. What could go wrong with it? :oops:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Close - the failure mode is that the vacuum diaphragm fails in the FPR and fuel is dumped through the vacuum line directly into the manifold. Check your FPR by pulling the vacuum line and looking for fuel there. If it hasn't been changed, I might think about changing it out pre-emptively. When mine went, the bike wouldn't idle at all but would absolutely scream at WOT. There's a good write up in the how-to step be step board on how to change it and what to do, 1st rule is stop riding it till you get it fixed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to yall for the help. I will pick one up tomorrow and swap it out.

Do you know the actual o-ring size (i.e. 1/2"OD x 3/8"ID x 1/8"W ? I might have one in my garage instead of having to buy one.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
If you buy a FPR an O-ring comes with it. part #18 on the parts fiche I am looking.
#19 is the O-ring only.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
order it by Honda part #. Or, if you've got someone you know at the municipal garage they will have a metric '0' ring kit. Match it up.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Ace hardware has orings.
Take the old FPR with you.
It has to compress to seal. Several sizes of thickness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out when you take the black debris plug out of the FPR that an oring is there. I was fussin for nothin. A bit difficult swapping them out and should have drained the tank more. But fixed my problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Howdy...My 2002 VTX 1800C runs at idle for a minute or two then dies. I am kinda thinking the fuel filter is clogged and starving the bike. Any thoughts? Regards, Jack
Note everyone else and do not forget to change plugs. It might be running bad and you cannot tell it is time to change plugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts