Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 880 Metzler tire for the rear of my VTX1300C and have had a friend (HD rider) tell me I need to also replace the original Dunlop tire on the front. Said it's bad to mix different tread patterens. I'm a new rider who is taking it pretty easy on the road but safety is always a concern. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
The dealer is right...it's terrible for his bottom line financially to have you not replace a front tire when it doesn't need replacing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
No problem, I've been running a Metz 200 rear (radial) with the stock Dunlop front (bias) for about 6k so far this season.
The front is nearly gone, so I will put the matching front Metz when I do change it, just because the Dunlop sucks.

I don't think you can run a radial front with a bias rear tire though??:dontknow:

·
Old Goat
25,651 Posts
new 200/60/16 metz on rear,new 110/90/19 dunflop on front no problems. :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

I'm going to leave the dunny on the front for now, most advice seems to think it will be fine and besides it will leave some cash in my pocket, imagine that!:pepper1:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
No problems, as long as both tires are of same construction(bias ply or radial ply).
Bias ply or radial ply does not hurt anything either, as long as the radial is on the back. Most bike tires are bias ply tires. Car tires are almost all radial tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts