Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the more I've been looking into the different models of the 1800's, I've come to realize how much I hate the rear fender on the C models. Just not a fan of the massive gap between the fender and the tire and I don't want to sacrifice the suspension of the bike to give it a more tucked look. Anyone have any insight on what fenders will fit from potentially other models such as a "N" fender. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
Any VTX fender will fit the frame. BUT, you will have to change a bunch of other things to get them to work. Like the inner fender rails, the chrome fender struts, the seats and even then the seat from other models won't match up to the tank perfectly. Top all that off with the fact that the other fenders are mounted the same height you still have that gap, but it's harder to see with the larger fenders

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
you are thinking this wrong.

you want the tire/fender gap to remain more constant while the suspension is working..

have the fender mounted to the swing-arm... not the frame.

otherwise you must have a very Deep Fender..

or go the Hard-tail look... no rear suspension movement.

this link shows all the VTX models
https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/honda/vtx/

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I was under the impression that you could mount it to the swingarm due to the frame design?
Sorry couldn't**

why NOT... weld tabs onto both sides of swing-arm...

and make fender struts.... like old bicycles with fenders..

you can even make brackets that mount onto axle and another 1 or 2 on the front of the swing arm.

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
I was under the impression that you couldn't mount it to the swingarm due to the frame design?
Yes, and no.

Sure you "Could" mount the fender to the swingarm. BUT you will have to make a seat perch to hold the rear passenger part off the fender and you'd have to stiffen the driver seat to work as a floating seat. Otherwise, your whole seat will go up and down with the swingarm and be very uncomfortable to ride.

If you do the above, then you'll have a space between the seat and the fender and IMHO it look worse like that ill fated attempt by Harley the Rocker

·
Old Goat
24,191 Posts
My EX-wife to this day is a tiny little thing and even she couldnt fit on that passenger pillion.....>:) ....no thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kinda like the look of that Harley personally, and as I have no intention of riding with a passenger I would just eliminate the passenger seat all together. I will have to further look into the schematic to see what all parts would need changed out if I go the 1800R fender route, and if I just do the fender mount to the swing-arm ill have to see how much the seat will actually move with the rear fender removed. I'll probably get into taking the rear fender off and testing the seat rigidity without it today. Hopefully it doesn't move at all lol. If anyone has any pictures with something they have done that would be awesome. I think it would be pretty sweet to have the fender mounted to the swing-arm. Hopefully its not to much of a hassle to do so and make it look good.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

<< Search >> is your friend..

I googled,,, photo of VTX with bobbed rear fender.

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
The seat pan is a thin plastic not meant to hold all the weight without sitting on the fender. So, before you go test riding, I'd bounce on it in the garage, it will probably break/crack in the center. You will need to make a support for it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts