Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this post on VTXOA Facebook page...
Pretty cool.. I'm thinking some of you non-Facebook members might be interested..
I would like to have one on my bike... :thumbup:

vg.jpg vg1.jpg vg2.jpg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's pretty neat.
Now, where to put one on my R?!? Maybe that Honda badge spot...

·
Old Goat
24,071 Posts
I saw that also on FB, goes perfect with a digital dash....I just used a kury on my old R....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
122612 Voltmeter ST.jpg I am using one on my ST-1300 and it's been fine for about three years. It is not waterproof, but I coated the back, ends, and sides with black fingernail polish and the display with clear fingernail polish, so it is now waterproof. I attached one to a cigarette lighter type plug for a voltmeter for the motor home, and use several of them in conjunction with battery maintainers to keep tabs on the battery and charging voltage. I even installed one in the interior wall of the motor home to monitor the state of charge of the coach batteries. They are very nice meters, but do not show at all in the direct sun. They draw about 100 mA, so you can't leave it connected to a small battery indefinitely.

·
Registered
983 Posts
don't need to be water proof, the circuit board that's in there now for the lights isn't... the housing has that clear cover over it...so that protects it... so this will be under that clear plastic as well... I installed one of these (well I got something similar on e-bay - in fact mine only had 2 wires) @ the beginning of the riding season this year on my 1800C... always @ 14.0 when I'm rolling... I did coat the whole back with hot glue though to keep the wire's attached (since it's some small didn't want the wire that are soldiered on the volt meter getting pull/broken off) and to keep it firm in the housing... I must say, it looks factory and came out great.. just took my time with the dremel to do all the cutting/trim work needed to make it fit.... I also tapped into the power wire and ground that are already running to that housing, stripped back the wire and soldered it ect... so everything is contained in there and no extra wires running out of the existing wire harness going to it.... like it said... looks factory.....

IMAG0201.jpg IMAG0203.jpg

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
KenDawg,
That voltmeter looks great on your bike. Was the area where you mounted the meter blank? I have an F and an S so the displays are quite a bit different on my bikes.

Do you have to shade the digital display in bright sunlight to see it?

Nice job.

·
Registered
983 Posts
KenDawg,
That voltmeter looks great on your bike. Was the area where you mounted the meter blank? I have an F and an S so the displays are quite a bit different on my bikes.

Do you have to shade the digital display in bright sunlight to see it?

Nice job.
yeah, it's a blank spot right next to the turn signal light.... if it's birhgt direct sun, yeah...but that not a issue most of the time... but it's not something you need to keep looking at anyway.... just need to spot check it once and awhile is all...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The readouts look cool but here’s another option that uses a little less real estate. I like to just glance to see if everything is ok and want to easily know if it isn’t. I think the led versions and even better yet the tri-color single led versions do a good job of that. I carry a multimeter and electrical diagram for troubleshooting but when I'm riding I really just want to know whether I need to stop or not.

On the X I had a multi-LED kury, the row of LEDs represented a voltage level but I didn’t know what it was, just used the colors as reference. I just looked to see if it was green, if I saw at least one green led I knew there were no issues. If it was yellow, usually after a start on a cold morning, I knew I needed to turn something off for awhile or just keep an eye on it until I saw green again. Never went to red but if it did I think I would notice it right away and get off the road. Also never happened but if the yellow were to stay on indefinitely again I would be concerned, stop, and get out the meter to find out what is going on. With the single tri-color led I get all that same info. I like having to drill just a small round hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts