Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to encounter more and more LEOs driving with a cell phone stuck to their ear. Just saw another one an hour ago when I was out for an evening ride. A lady officer, with a male officer in the front passenger seat, was taking a corner, crossing my path, one handed, chatting on her cell phone.
If it's Police business, can't they at least get the patrol cars a hands free setup? If it's personal, pull over. I've been nearly hit a few times by people who were taking corners, while yakking on their cell phones. Sad to see our finest doing it.

-S

·
Registered
958 Posts
They talk on cell phones so the public can't use scanners to pick up what is going on sometimes. It is also a way for them to check with their buddy or boss when it comes to some info they need, but do not know, and do not want to ask over the radio. I have asked my neighbor who is currently in IA for my local Police Dept. The cell phones are used to keep the radio open for urgent needs.

I agree though, if there is a second officer, why is the passenger not making the call. I would almost love to get sideswiped but a LEO who was talking on the phone.

My best advice to you is to write a nice letter or call your local Police Chief and or section of town Commander (my city has 4 divisions). Be very polite and make sure you have car number, exact time and place. Don't ask for the officers head, just let it be known they were on their phone and out of their lane, weaving etc.

The local trend here is to pull over people anywhere. Very busy streets during rush hour, right hand turn lanes, shouldr of highway where shoulder is not wide enough for the car, so they are blocking 1/2 teh right hand lane. Why don't they walk up, take the license, and direct them to move to next parking lot, side street or safe place.

My two pennies

·
Registered
753 Posts
Better yet make a trip down to the local PD or Sheriff's office and ask for a ride along. Take a ride with them for 8 or 12 hours and see what they deal with. If its a supervisor he'll have about 10 calls, read about 20 computer messages, and send and receive 10 radio transmissions.....per hour. THATS ALL WHILE DRIVING! If he is a beat officer cut that by about 30%.

Like it or not, that patrol car is a cop's office. He/she is a master at multitasking. Accidents are gonna happen. Its a reality that isnt going away.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
astros50 said:
Better yet make a trip down to the local PD or Sheriff's office and ask for a ride along. Take a ride with them for 8 or 12 hours and see what they deal with. If its a supervisor he'll have about 10 calls, read about 20 computer messages, and send and receive 10 radio transmissions.....per hour. THATS ALL WHILE DRIVING! If he is a beat officer cut that by about 30%.

Like it or not, that patrol car is a cop's office. He/she is a master at multitasking. Accidents are gonna happen. Its a reality that isnt going away.
There is no such thing as multi-tasking.

There is no such reality in nature as something for nothing ....

If he/she imagines him/herself a master of anything ... they've probably been smoking the evidence ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Which may explain the chronic calls ... (pun intended) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You get what you pay for ... on a good day.

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
astros50 said:

meh. It may be an increasing reality, but if it starts to be a problem, there will be consequences.

life has a way of balancing things out, if not for the individual, then for the masses.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The way things are going in a patrol car, they need 2 LEOs to operate it. Kind of like an F-18.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
+1 on avoiding scanner land.....
We've gone away from using our truncated frequency for "unhearable transmissions," simply put, anyone can hear our tranmissions now, we used to use the truncated for alarm calls, our CAD-computer assisted dispatch system isn't up to speed nor in all cars, and to save lengthy air time dissertations, we use the cell for all the above mentioned situations.

I use my bluetooth but honestly I have burned through the touted 2 hr talk time it provides in one shift......3-11's is a bitch for patrol. Such is life. I get looks and gestures when my phone is to my ear, but I write very few cell phone tickets, mostly friendly warnings except those that warrant a ticket or arrest, ie accidents or dwi's........I know first hand the necessity for my job, let alone others.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Scanners don't work in my county. Almost all channels are encoded.

Check the Bluetooth speaker-mic: Motorola #T305.
14 hours of talk time.
200 hours of standby.
Clips to the visor.
You could probably clip it anywhere else you want.
It comes with a car charger.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I have to laugh when people say it's a necessity. How did the LEO's get along for years before the technology existed, never mind datastations in the cruisers now.

I have been there and know that a good majority of the calls officers make on their cell phones are personal and not a necessity of the job. It is that it's so much easier now for them to use them, rather than to go to the station to make or recieve a call. I'm not trying to bash the LEO community here, but to say that it's a necessity is hogwash. I hear that all the time about different things that departments want, it's a necessity, yes it would be nice to have and makes life alot easier, but you can do the job just as effectively without it. There are scramblers for police radios and the newer ones are digital and scramble the voice automatically, so it's not for privacy, although you will hear that over and over. I do understand that there are people out there that have scanners that can hear digital radios, but they are probably the same people that are listening to the cellular phone calls, which tend to be far more explicit than 10 codes.

Times are changing, in New Hampshire it's illegal to have a television forward of the drivers view and i've heard rumbles that the mdt's are violating that, they do play movies on the built in dvd drives. I'm sure that when someone challenges the LEO community on it, there will be a new amendment in the law. I know it's policy of some departments right now to have them closed while the cruiser is in motion.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash the LEO community, but lets face it, anything can be justified for use or purchase if you think hard enough and that is what we are seeing. It's easier to use them, than do it the old fashioned way. Part of it is society, we want everything now, so yes it's quicker for them to call from the cruiser, instead of waiting for an officer to get to a phone to accept the call or make it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
btalon said:
I have to laugh when people say it's a necessity.
Yes you may laugh, but instead of returning to the station or going to a payphone or business to "borrow" a line, it saves time, saves unecessary air time, and is cost effective. So something that does all that isn't a necessity?

I have been there and know that a good majority of the calls officers make on their cell phones are personal and not a necessity of the job.
I'm not trying to bash the "citizen community" here but to say the majority of calls are personal on an officer's cell phone is something you've been there and know.......why would our department issue cell phones to all division staff and unit staff if it weren't a current necessity??? And just to clarify, you've been there because you were on the job, if so just as if you weren't, you are entitled to your opinion, I'm just curious as to the angst if you are retired from LEO recently??

I'm not trying to bash the LEO community here, but to say that it's a necessity is hogwash.
:roll: I see a pattern here

There are scramblers for police radios and the newer ones are digital and scramble the voice automatically, so it's not for privacy, although you will hear that over and over.
Yes there are scramblers, however when more and more agencies go to central dispatch, the cost to support truncated systems for specific agencies on a centrally located dispatch for municipal, county and state agencies are so high that these frequencies are abandoned because of cost effectiveness.

I do understand that there are people out there that have scanners that can hear digital radios, but they are probably the same people that are listening to the cellular phone calls, which tend to be far more explicit than 10 codes.
With the advent of digital technology for cellular communication, and now the digital cable equivalent of cellular phone capabilities, the availability of monitoring devices, especially those designed for PTT digital comm. are both very expensive, and not plentiful for smaller departments with smaller budgets, let alone the scanner land listeners who are lucky enough to catch cell phone calls on analog frequencies, and some digital frequencies. Wire taps for departments can run well over 60K for dedicated land lines and cells, a cost that requires multi-jurisdictional cooperation at the very least.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash the LEO community, but lets face it, anything can be justified for use or purchase if you think hard enough and that is what we are seeing.
I'd like to stress that I'm NOT bashing the citizen community, but let's face it, anything can be justified by Joe Citizen as to why we're enforcing the "Sayso Laws" ie Because I say so.............

we want everything now, so yes it's quicker for them to call from the cruiser, instead of waiting for an officer to get to a phone to accept the call or make it.
To put it simply, we're expected to be out on the street as much as possible, it's a simple formula, the more you're out there, the more you see, the more the public sees you, the more Joe Criminal sees you. Research shows the more you "show the flag" the less crime happens.

If this saves me from getting grief from a boss, saves me getting grief from the complainant that I didn't get there in time or that I didn't see who they described to a "T" to the dispatcher leaving in a vehicle after committing a crime, blah blah blah......you're right btalon, both you and I can justify anything for any reason........I guess I'm hoping people see two sides to this, and appreciate the fact that we're out there. Times are changing, criminals evolve, get smarter, get faster, we have to keep up, this is one tool to do so. Just my $.02. Sorry for the lengthy rant.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Driver, and rider for that matter, distraction is a major problem. It is pretty hard to rationalize needing to have a conversation while driving and holding a cell phone to your ear. Cops should pull over just like the rest of us.

·
Registered
782 Posts
HuzurPapa said:
Cops should pull over just like the rest of us.
^ That was all that was needed to be said.

Cops are people too, they have lives, families, and businesses...
they use cells just like me, and yes, sometimes in the car.

Just pull over when you get the chance.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Pull over like the rest of us? who does that? They should be illegal while driving period

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Wow, all BigVTXMan was doing was expressing a concern about the LEOs with cell phones to their ears and asking for a little advice. What it looks like it turned into is a 'let's stick up for the LEOs no matter what they do wrong' thread. He even went as far as to call them 'our finest'.

Let's be a little realistic here, if we aren't supposed to be driving with cell phones to our ears, are they? As for the security of their radio transmissions, I can agree that their are many conversations that shouldn't take place on the air waves, secure, or not. All of our radios are secure using a cryptogaphic key and we also keep our radio transmissions to mission essential as much as possible. If the cell phone is so important to the officers job, it was probably issued from the agency. If so, for safety reasons, it should be equipped with hands free devices.

'To protect and to serve'. Not 'Do what we want if we can get away with it'. I have much respect for officers of the law, even if they happen to be giving me a citation.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
mick114 said:
+1 on avoiding scanner land.....
I get looks and gestures when my phone is to my ear, but I write very few cell phone tickets, mostly friendly warnings except those that warrant a ticket or arrest, ie accidents or dwi's........I know first hand the necessity for my job, let alone others.
+1

I have no problem with cell phone use... I have a problem with TEXT Messaging at 65mph :roll:

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Oh Boy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not yet another LEO Bashing :wink: :wink: :wink: hehehehehehe

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didn't mean to stir things up, just expressing concern/disappointment over the trend I'm seeing, and wondering why the P.D.s don't install hands free cell setups. There are a lot of hands free solutions out there, and many that don't rely on a Bluetooth headset.

I'm sure that it's true that the average LEO has a lot more equipment and information to deal with in their cruisers these days, so ALL the more reason to free up the hand holding the cell to their ear.

Here's one, inexpensive, solution, but I'm sure there are better ones: :lol:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/l ... 254266.php

BTW, I have done a few "ride-alongs" with local PD's, including when my cousin was a LEO, and I know they have a lot to manage at times, which is why they should have better tools to do it with. I'm pretty sure that a decent hands free solution would cost a tiny fraction of what the other communications equipment in a typical cruiser costs. I'm just saying..............

-S

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got a question for a LEO...who's cell phones are they? Are they personal or provided by the PD?

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
I answer my cell phone sometimes while I am riding my X....and I do not have Blue tooth or a headset.....Only when I am doing a slow cruise though...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got a question for a LEO...who's cell phones are they? Are they personal or provided by the PD?
Both. My department issues cell phones to everyone with the rank of sergeant and above. Every department is different.

Didn't mean to stir things up, just expressing concern/disappointment over the trend I'm seeing, and wondering why the P.D.s don't install hands free cell setups. There are a lot of hands free solutions out there, and many that don't rely on a Bluetooth headset.
BigVTXMan: You didnt stir things up. You just stimulated a healthy discussion. As far as the Bluetooth and other hands free options, they dont do any good with helping to reduce crashes. Its not that the driver doesnt have both of his hands on the wheel while driving that causes crashes, it is that he is distracted while on the phone. The driver isnt concentrating on the road.

I have been there and know that a good majority of the calls officers make on their cell phones are personal and not a necessity of the job. It is that it's so much easier now for them to use them, rather than to go to the station to make or recieve a call. I'm not trying to bash the LEO community here, but to say that it's a necessity is hogwash. I hear that all the time about different things that departments want, it's a necessity, yes it would be nice to have and makes life alot easier, but you can do the job just as effectively without it. There are scramblers for police radios and the newer ones are digital and scramble the voice automatically, so it's not for privacy, although you will hear that over and over. I do understand that there are people out there that have scanners that can hear digital radios, but they are probably the same people that are listening to the cellular phone calls, which tend to be far more explicit than 10 codes.
In some respects you are right. I make a lot of personal phone calls while on duty. But I make 80% buisness related. You are 100% correct that none of this technology is necessary. Ive been around long enough that I worked without a cell phone and a mobile computer. I resisted getting a cell phone for as long as I could.

There was also a time when officers didnt use automobiles and radios. I sure as hell dont want to do mounted patrol and find a call box if I need help! I guarantee that some citizens would be screaming if I had to ride my horse 10 miles to take their report because a neighbor kid walked through their yard. In a car it takes 20 minutes at most. If I'm gonna be tied up on something, I can use my little cell phone device and give em a call to notfy them I may take a little longer than usual. Through the use of the cell phone I am able to give them the level of service that they think they deserve.

All of this technology has increased the level of service that we provide to the citizenry. It simply increased our efficiency..... which was demanded by the people we serve.

Let me say one final thing in this ranting post: In my state, there are no laws restricting cell phone usage while driving. My department places no such restrictions on us either. So if those complaining are living in states with cell phone/driving restrictions, you SHOULD complain. IN MY STATE- Why wouldnt officers be allowed to do the same thing the general public does?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts