Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I don't think I can go back to wearing one.

I just can't STAND the weight, wind resistance, buffeting, heat, smell, pain in the ass to carry around $400 bulky piece of shit. Not to mention how it feels 1000 times better to ride without it. Thank God I live in Texas.

I know I'll want it when I start to go down, but I just can't bring myself to put it back on. Plus I've got this sweet Ace Ventura hair do thing going on when I get off. :mcrider:

·
Registered
8,223 Posts

... try to keep an open mind ...

opinions vary ....

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crew said:

... try to keep an open mind ...

opinions vary ....

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

That's what she said...

·
Registered
514 Posts
FRIORIVERAT said:
And I don't think I can go back to wearing one.

I just can't STAND the weight, wind resistance, buffeting, heat, smell, pain in the ass to carry around $400 bulky piece of :cus:. Not to mention how it feels 1000 times better to ride without it. Thank God I live in Texas.

I know I'll want it when I start to go down, but I just can't bring myself to put it back on. Plus I've got this sweet Ace Ventura hair do thing going on when I get off. :mcrider:
Same here. I used to use one, but after going without for a while I've come to the conclusion that they're more dangerous than not using. You forgot to mention the fact that they muffle your hearing and impede your peripheral vision, all while your head is getting jerked around violently by air drag. I can see using a bean protector, but a full face helmet is hardly effective protection for street riding.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I will never understand the statement that helmets are heavy. Did you have a carved out piece of granite or are you so underdeveloped that someone has to hold your head straight for you??

Not trying to start any arguments here. just some sarcastic ponderings

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
I've come to the conclusion that they're more dangerous than not using. You forgot to mention the fact that they muffle your hearing and impede your peripheral vision, all while your head is getting jerked around violently by air drag. I can see using a bean protector, but a full face helmet is hardly effective protection for street riding.
LOL....That's funny!! anyway to each their own, good luck..

·
Registered
514 Posts
biod929 said:
I will never understand the statement that helmets are heavy. Did you have a carved out piece of granite or are you so underdeveloped that someone has to hold your head straight for you??

Not trying to start any arguments here. just some sarcastic ponderings
He didn't say it was too heavy. He said he doesn't like the added weight. I agree, the added weight is annoying, especially when you fator in wind drag with the enlarged surface area of the helmet. Helmets suck, plain and simple. I highly doubt they save that many more lives either.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Im not going to try and argue the pros and cons of wearing a helmet,if its just you fine but if you have loved ones or people that depend on you is it really fair to them. .02 Have a safe helmetless day.

G

·
TennX said:
Im not going to try and argue the pros and cons of wearing a helmet,if its just you fine but if you have loved ones or people that depend on you is it really fair to them. .02 Have a safe helmetless day.
Overall you're probably better off if you wear one, maybe, but why do helmet wearers "just know" that wearing a helmet is good, and not wearing one is bad. What studies can you cite? Just because someone, or an agency thinks you're better off, doesn't make it so. If you broke your neck BECAUSE you're wearing one, was it fair to your loved ones that you did so?

I know it's cliche, but I like being "in the wind" and wearing a helmet just doesn't do it for me. I feel like I'm encapsulated. If I wanted that feeling, I'd buy an MRI machine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The problem I see with this issue is like all the other so called "we're doing it for your own good" laws that get enacted: Apathy. Too many people just don't give hoot, and are in favor of big government mandating this and mandating that, and before your know it we're all suckling at the teat of big government cradle to grave. I for one do not need the government telling me how live every aspect of my life, including riding my motorcycle. But once these laws get enacted it is nearly *impossible* to get them repealed because people are apathetic. If you want to wear a helmet, then by all means, please do. But do you really need to be told that you *must*?? People need to stay vigiliant on these issues. Motorcyclists are a minority and they don't stand a chance in hell of beating out legistlation once the majority comes to believe helmets are necessary. Next they'll be coming to take your guns away, then it's off to the gulag for you ...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
The problem I see with this issue is like all the other so called "we're doing it for your own good" laws that get enacted: Apathy. Too many people just don't give hoot, and are in favor of big government mandating this and mandating that, and before your know it we're all suckling at the teat of big government cradle to grave. I for one do not need the government telling me how live every aspect of my life, including riding my motorcycle. But once these laws get enacted it is nearly *impossible* to get them repealed because people are apathetic. If you want to wear a helmet, then by all means, please do. But do you really need to be told that you *must*?? People need to stay vigiliant on these issues. Motorcyclists are a minority and they don't stand a chance in hell of beating out legistlation once the majority comes to believe helmets are necessary. Next they'll be coming to take your guns away, then it's off to the gulag for you ...
Sounds like words from a past, present or future a.b.a.t.e. member, let those who ride decide. Ride safe.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Glennok said:
Overall you're probably better off if you wear one, maybe, but why do helmet wearers "just know" that wearing a helmet is good, and not wearing one is bad. What studies can you cite? Just because someone, or an agency thinks you're better off, doesn't make it so. If you broke your neck BECAUSE you're wearing one, was it fair to your loved ones that you did so?
Personally I don't care what any study or statistics say. I had a car turn in front of me and I T-boned it. I flew 75' down the road and landed face first on the asphalt. My full face helmet was broken in 3 places but other than a concusion my head was fine. I can't say for sure that it saved my life, but I'm convinced that it did. I can say that it prevented injury. I daon't really care whether you wear a helmet or not, if you prefer to ride without one that's your choice. But to say they don't help in a crash is is just plain ignorant IMO.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can only speak from experience. Was wearing a full face helmet when I too t-boned a car. If I hadn't had it on I wouldn't be hear to offer my .02. As it was I still broke the bones of my face and shattered my lower jaw. Without it I would have been DRTBFO (Dead Right There, Brain Fell Out). Still wear a helmet but have moved on to a half helmet. It still should be the riders decision tho, IMHO.

·
Registered
514 Posts
black hills said:
Personally I don't care what any study or statistics say. I had a car turn in front of me and I T-boned it. I flew 75' down the road and landed face first on the asphalt. My full face helmet was broken in 3 places but other than a concusion my head was fine. I can't say for sure that it saved my life, but I'm convinced that it did. I can say that it prevented injury. I daon't really care whether you wear a helmet or not, if you prefer to ride without one that's your choice. But to say they don't help in a crash is is just plain ignorant IMO.
Again, I don't think anyone said "they don't help in a crash." What I said was that I don't believe they save *that many* more lives. Two totally different statements. And factor in the number of accidents caused by have hearing and vision impeded by them, and you're likely to find that they're just as dangerous as going without.

If you were in an accident and the helmet helped you out, that's great. Lucky you. But I'd bet if the truth were known, you weren't being vigiliant enough in your driving and probably could have prevent the accident from happening by driving more safely and being more aware of what was going on around you. Whether or not your wearing the helmet impeded your ability to do that, or whether you were just too lackadaisical on your bike that day I'm sure we'll never know. But I don't think you can conclude that just because your instance worked in your favor that we should all be forced to wear helmets now.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ok ! I want this to stay clean !! No name calling or holy-er than thou stuff. Protect yourself at all times.

I can say If I would not have been wearing a helmet...I would not be sitting here in this hospital bed right now.
I know how wonderful it is not to wear one. Me and my girl used to talk about how great it felt not to have on that thing. My girl's hair would be messed up and she wished she could go with out it when we went out !! I'm glad now that "Big brother" made me wear one.

I was broken up in the wreck real bad...from the waist down. No damage at all in the chest or shoulder area......except the helmet, my helmet has ons big scrape right on the top center. It looks as if someone took it, held it firmly and drug it on that real ruff concreat all the way to the seems. My dad thinks that I might have slid down thr road on the very top of my head ????? Kinda weird huh ??

Oh well, it's your decission...and it will affect those who love you just as much as it affects you if you wreck, remember that. I wish you all the happy riding you can have. I hope you last longer than I did.

ps There was nothing I did nor anything I could have done to make this wreck not happen.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Same here. I used to use one, but after going without for a while I've come to the conclusion that they're more dangerous than not using. You forgot to mention the fact that they muffle your hearing and impede your peripheral vision, all while your head is getting jerked around violently by air drag. I can see using a bean protector, but a full face helmet is hardly effective protection for street riding.
I agree that wearing a helmet should be at the discretion of the rider and not the government. However, stating that wearing a helmet is more dangerous because of impedement of peripheral vision and weight is completely false. My full face helmet does not impede my peripheral vision and wearing a helmet will always be safer than not wearing one and there are multiple tests to prove that fact.
Like I said before though, I am not trying to say that everyone should wear a helmet, I believe in freedom of choice as long as it doesn't hurt others.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 471 Posts