Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Rear Flange Bearing Need Grease Packing?

I just got my rear tire changed. Was rolling it back into the garage and heard the sound of something moving around, like metal sound. On closer inspection, I put my finger into the hole where the axle goes. It moves pretty freely, but the sound is coming from what seems to be the ball bearings inside. They seem to be rolling pretty freely in there. Shouldn't this bearing be packed with grease, to where the bearings are not able to just roll around?

If this should be packed with grease, is it a difficult task to do this? I am in a hurry to get this put back together before a trip coming up this weekend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
You are not going to like the answer to that question.

The bearings are sealed and cannot be greased. If they are not smooth, they need to be replaced. I don't remember if you can get just the bearing for the flange. Iirc you need to buy the flange. Someone on one of the boards was doing bearing replacements on a swap out type of deal.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not going to like the answer to that question.

The bearings are sealed and cannot be greased. If they are not smooth, they need to be replaced. I don't remember if you can get just the bearing for the flange. Iirc you need to buy the flange. Someone on one of the boards was doing bearing replacements on a swap out type of deal.
Well I wouldn't say that the bearings are not smooth... It's just that the ball bearings inside seem to just be rolling around. I can hear them moving around as I roll the wheel or use my finger to rotate the bearing. Should they be rolling around so freely in there or should this thing be packed with grease (which it sounds like I cannot do)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like the cage that holds the bearings in place is broken, You should not hear the balls hitting each other at all.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the cage that holds the bearings in place is broken, You should not hear the balls hitting each other at all.
OK, that would not be good. Sounds like I need to find someone that does rebuilds of these bearings -- anyone know who the person is, that might do this? VTXTUGG made reference in a previous response to this post.

Last resort is to replace the whole flange from OEM parts supplier, around $170. Ouch.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
to do the job yourself.. you need the correct size bearing drivers And a hydraulic press..

Contact Jon... he maybe has rebuilt ones in stock.. ready to ship.

OR pay the big money and get one from HONDA.

my original ones lasted 45,000 miles.

, FYI, the photo you provided is not the wheel bearings... they are the Flange bearing and assembly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I have sent Jon a PM to hopefully get this process started. Does he rebuild them to OEM standard or does he make improvements to the design or components (asked him this also)?

I won't have it in time for my vacation but this was only going to be my backup (or safety net) bike for the trip. Now I just need to make sure that the primary bike is ready -- I have been dealing with brake issues on that one and just got my new rotor in the mail today.

Lately I have needed and have been getting a lot of help from all of you here! Thanks very much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts