Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will my stock fender etc.. still work?

You folks have me intrigued, no, make that convinced to give it a shot. Is there a how-to primer in a thread somewhere? I've done a couple of searches with no luck.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Stock fender will work fine as long as you go no bigger than a 205. You will not need to make any mods, with one exception, a few have had to grind down the tabs on their inner fender struts due to some minor rubbing. I am going to do this in the spring as when I ride 2 up and hit some bumps or those quick dips in the road I get some rubbing then. Most do not have to due this.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think it might depend on what model bike you have. I have an 03 1800C and I put on a 205 with no mods whatsoever.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I have installed quite a few (around 15) on 1300 and 1800's for the Central Fla Xers and have to do NO mods! They fit great..

Only trick I have done while installing a tire was to drain all the air out to squeeze it in...

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Nope, no mods. If you need a hand or want to test ride a 205 Darksided 1300C I'm across the bridge from Memphis.:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, Kevin and I put a 205 on my 1300C about 4000 miles ago and we did nothing special to get it in there, with the exception of unairing the tire, and I love it. Thanks again Kevin!

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Yeah, Kevin and I put a 205 on my 1300C about 4000 miles ago and we did nothing special to get it in there, with the exception of unairing the tire, and I love it. Thanks again Kevin!

U are more than Welcome!

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Kevin, do you have an opinion on Dynabeads?

Only used them twice and so far the owners of the bikes say, "They Love Them" Have heard no complaints from them and they have had them for some time now..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kevin, do you have an opinion on Dynabeads?
I'm not kevin, but I got dynabeads in my 1300S and my titan truck. I like them a lot. Before dynabeads, I was having all kinds of trouble keeping the titan tires balanced but not anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone tell me if a car tire place or a motorcycle tire place will most likely be willing to do the installation of a car tire on a motorcycle wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called a local car tire shop yesterday and just asked if they would install a car tire on a motorcycle... After a lengthy confused pause, the guy said "No Sir".

I think I'll nose around the local tire shops for a motorcycle rider who works there and start the conversation with him.

G

·
After going over this and researching for more than a year, putting CT on your bike should not require any mods.

But you should consider more frequent preventive maint. checks on the driveline components. Depending on how you ride your bike the extra weight of a CT will be an added stress on the driveline. From what I gathered the SPLINE should be paid attention to, eveidently some Valkyrie Car Tire riders have been left on the side of the road due to spline failure. Of course they were lax on the drive line PM and many road well beyond the mileage Honda put in the book. Some didn't even do any PM on the drive line because well there was no need to tear it down, because the tire lasted so long.

Now you can see where for them, any money savings in buying a CT was eaten up be the repair costs of the spline.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After going over this and researching for more than a year, putting CT on your bike should not require any mods.

But you should consider more frequent preventive maint. checks on the driveline components. Depending on how you ride your bike the extra weight of a CT will be an added stress on the driveline. From what I gathered the SPLINE should be paid attention to, eveidently some Valkyrie Car Tire riders have been left on the side of the road due to spline failure. Of course they were lax on the drive line PM and many road well beyond the mileage Honda put in the book. Some didn't even do any PM on the drive line because well there was no need to tear it down, because the tire lasted so long.

Now you can see where for them, any money savings in buying a CT was eaten up be the repair costs of the spline.
Thanks, dude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts