Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at one that was down and it sounded a little loud with a little engine clatter when we started it up. It's been sitting for a while and that could be it but someone suggested that if the VTX lacks such a switch and it was on it's side running for any length of time there may have been some damage done internally. That made sense to me but I knew that the GL1800 Goldwings had a kill switch but wasn't sure if the VTX1800's did or not so I thought I'd draw on the VTXOA brain trust for the answer

If a VTX1800 goes down/over on a side, will it automatically shut the engone down? How does this work and what kind of angle does it take to engage this? Thanks! :D

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
From what I've heard, if the bike goes down, U need to turn off the ignition switch to reset the computer and then srtart the bike after it is on its stand..

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oh sure, like you guys haven't let it drop.

Yes, there is a cut-off switch. It activates at about 50 degrees and you have to turn off the ignition and to restart.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
dd3genrider said:

Yes, there is a cut-off switch. It activates at about 50 degrees and you have to turn off the ignition and to restart.
I've dropped lighter cycles in the past but never the 1800.

Don't you know there's a much bigger incentive to not drop such a heavy motorcycle! :wink:

sooo... I never knew that about the cut-off swith and ignition.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I believe it's called a bank angle switch or sensor, it should be mounted somewhere on the battery compartment/box

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon's1800VTXC said:
I believe it's called a bank angle switch or sensor, it should be mounted somewhere on the battery compartment/box
I think it's called a bank angle sensor on the GL1800 so it's probably the same name if not exactly the exact same technology.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ya, there's something called a bank angle sensor and it's somewhere near the middle of the bike. It cuts the ignition if the bike goes over. This is helpful on a fuel injected bike because they can run for a while on their side.

On the fiche for a 2002 C model it's number 15 in the middle of the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
[quote="Jon's1800VTXC":23ytj03r]I believe it's called a bank angle switch or sensor, it should be mounted somewhere on the battery compartment/box
I think it's called a bank angle sensor on the GL1800 so it's probably the same name if not exactly the exact same technology.[/quote:23ytj03r]

Looks like there are 2 ??? Maybe it's with all the fasteners???

14 SENSOR, BANK ANGLE
35160-MCH-000 001 $61.99

15 SENSOR, BANK ANGLE
35161-MCH-000 00

·
Registered
260 Posts
GeminiII said:
dd3genrider said:

I've dropped lighter cycles in the past but never the 1800.

Don't you know there's a much bigger incentive to not drop such a heavy motorcycle! :wink:

sooo... I never knew that about the cut-off swith and ignition.
You would not believe how light this bike is to pick up after a little embarrassment and anger. Like a feather. :evil: :oops:
Don't ask how I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.