Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to buy new head light bulbs 4 my 1300s and my daughters Aero. They did not have the 55 watt bulbs in super white like we wanted but the real experienced guy there showed us the super white that was 100 watt. He said that he sells them to bikers all the time and they love them cause the put out a great deal of light. I asked if the system could handle it and he said ya, sure no problem. So we bought the two lights. After a week we were on a long freeway drive and my daughters aero lost the headlight so we stopped at a gas station to check out the problem. When we were told that they had no light bulbs we were going to go to the next town where there were more stores. Guess what? when we tried to start the bike we found that the starter switch had melted and would not move. to MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT WE HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED AND HONDA REPLACED the switch and some wireing. I pulled my light out of my 1300s to get rid of it before it melted down my bike and I had hell getting the bulb out of the socket as all the wireing had melted together. Moral of the story.... Be careful what you are told cause they may be full of (whats that word I'm looking for) oh yeah, IT.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Bummmmmerrrr, dude. That sucks. Different subject, how does your daughter like her Aero? A riding buddy, Yamaha rider... poor soul, is thinking about "letting" his wife get her own bike and I recomended the Aero to him over the V Star 650. Told him just because he's suffering with a yammerHa that was no reason to inflict one on his wife! 8)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aero

This is the daughter who ownes the aero.... Actually my father purchased it for himself after trying out harleys, yamahas, etc. knowing full well what he has always known, We have had nothing but the best with Hondas and after he purchased the Aero and I drove it around it became mine!! So I made him go purchase another bike, although he wanted more power for himself so he purchased a VTX. I am thrilled with the areo and very comfortable on it...Even at our local dealer we talked another female into purchasing an areo. On my areo I feel more like I have control of the bike than vise versa.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
XRiderChuck said:
Bummmmmerrrr, dude. That sucks. Different subject, how does your daughter like her Aero? A riding buddy, Yamaha rider... poor soul, is thinking about "letting" his wife get her own bike and I recomended the Aero to him over the V Star 650. Told him just because he's suffering with a yammerHa that was no reason to inflict one on his wife! 8)
I upgraded to a VTX from an "04 Aero. That bike was the best, "Get back into riding" bike! Very well balanced, very comfortable and well, not to mention it's a Honda, "nuf said! Your friend won't go wrong "Letting" his wife get her own bike, but be careful, after a while on the Aero, she might "Let Him" get back on his X...............after she's done with it! 8)

·
Registered
686 Posts
XRiderChuck said:
HEY NOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sadly, Honda puts only the minimal wiring. I noticed car manufacturers do the same thing. Guess it is cheaper and lighter. Some wires must be 64 guage and are as thin as a strand of hair.

Also, the switches can not handle even 25% additional load before they melt.

Also note the alternator has very little excess wattage. Worse of all, in case you have not notices, the headlight AND reflector are made of plastic. You are lucky the wiring got fried. If by chance the wiring held on for another while you would have a melted reflector.

Guess that is the nature of the beast. Honda wants to make a chromed bike without using metal, for both cost and weight considerations.

As for the light - the only one that puts out like a 100 watt and consumes only 60 is PIAA but those suckers are aye xpenseev (about 40 dollars each.)

JJ

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm cornfuscated

How did a headlight melt a starter?

Not saying it didn't, but a starter switch is just 2 tiny contacts that go to a relay on the starter. The relay does everything else. The switch carries no juice unless you press the button. If it was the bulb, the wires in the headlight shell or the headlight relay should have melted, not the starter.

100 watts shouldn't have melted anything, though. That's ROUGHLY 5amps vs 8amps. Usually, these are fused with a 10amp fuse. My two 25watt Hondaline "Chrome Lamps" on the lightbar add more than that total to the bike's entire electrical load. Some people up these 2 lamps to [email protected], adding 110watts to their system with no problems.

If the starter switch melted from electrical overload, the contacts should have fused, together, turning the starter on permanently. The starter overrunning clutch should have been shrieking.

We need a more experienced mechanic than me to step in here. Sounds more like Honda has some defective starter switches. Anything on the Aero boards?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Who said the starter melted? The switch did. Not the starter itself.

The headlight and reflector are made of a plastic compound and will melt when exposed to excessive heat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
PickyPickyPicky People

Gee Jeffrey, EXCUUUSSSEEEE MEEEEEEE! :oops:

How did a headlight BULB melt a starter SWITCH?

Now, is that better?

Re mike149's headlight shell and wiring melting, that's a different deal. That is expected. The greatest heat would be where the hot bulb and overloaded wiring come together. That I understand.

My point was that there seems to ALSO, be a starter switch problem that could happen again even with the smaller bulb.

And while it's been awhile since I looked at an Aero, I don't remember the starter switch being in the headlight shell.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Jeffrey said:
As for the light - the only one that puts out like a 100 watt and consumes only 60 is PIAA but those suckers are aye xpenseev (about 40 dollars each.)
JJ
As you mentioned, the PIAA's are EXPENSIVE! As an alternative, I personally had great success with a 55/60 Watt EUROLITE Plasma bulb on my previous Suzuki Volusia after nearly frying the wiring in a day of running a 90/130 Watt Halogen Bulb. The EUROLITE I used had a very slight mauve tint on the envelope and produced a nice white light. It was way better than stock and I could notice little lighting difference between it and the 130 Watt unit. Cost me about $35 Canadian for a pair at a local speed shop. They're DOT approved and Street Legal.

You can see the lights at the link below and they're widely available on eBay.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1841_57294371

Haven't upgraded the VTX to this bulb yet as the stock headlight with lightbar is already pretty decent and I don't ride much at night anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been using a Sylvania SilverStar 100w bulb in my headlight for a year, now. It's a nice, white light. Unfortunately, I had the stock bulbs in the driving lights. So, my nice white headlight was surrounded by dull, yellow lights. Last week, I upgraded to 55w SilverStars. They melted the lightbar switch, very quickly. With help from a neighbor, we did a little creative wiring and wired it directly into the headlight. Worked great.....until the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse with the 7.5 amp with a 10 amp and everything seems to be fine.

Now, I have plenty of light to see.....and, more importantly, BE seen. :shock:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lights

I do not know the answer to Bouxdaddy's question. all I know is that Honda said that the 100 watt bulb was the cause of the problem. I hope they are correct. If not why would the starter switch melt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts