Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m sure this has been covered before, but no luck using the search. Local Honda mechanic (same machinist that designed the prototype for the X Hinge, I'm told) recommended switching to DOT 5, as I am very hard on the brakes in the mountains. He said I would gain a higher operating temp. than with 3 or 4. He also cautioned that it was imperative to get all the stock fluid flushed out, but that otherwise, it would be fine.

I have gotten solid advice from Ken before, but it never hurts to double check with the experts, and someone mentioned that they thought there might be an issue in using DOT 5.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
I don't see that it's necessary or worth it unless you're completely redoing the entire brake system anyway. I am thrilled with the performance and lifetime of Valvoline Synpower (you'd think I worked for them, lol...) and it's only DOT4. DOT5 requires COMPLETE draining and flushing of the old stuff before replacement, it's just a lot of work for something that I don't think you'll see a noticable difference from.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use Dot 4 Brake Fluid

I totally agree with Bare. I use the Valvoline fluid also and it works great. One quart does all the fluid in both my bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Pit's Rule said:
I"m sure this has been covered before, but no luck using the search. Local Honda mechanic (same machinist that designed the prototype for the X Hinge, I'm told) recommended switching to DOT 5, as I am very hard on the brakes in the mountains. He said I would gain a higher operating temp. than with 3 or 4. He also cautioned that it was imperative to get all the stock fluid flushed out, but that otherwise, it would be fine.

I have gotten solid advice from Ken before, but it never hurts to double check with the experts, and someone mentioned that they thought there might be an issue in using DOT 5.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
You CAN obtain a CONSISTENTLY higher operating temperature with DOT5 than your average DOT3 or 4, but there are numerous DOT3/4 that are rated higher temp than some DOT5. The point is moot, IMO, because you're not going to get near those temps anyway on the VTX. I changed to DOT5 when I installed braided lines, because I spent a nice piece of change on custom paint, and anything other than DOT5 will EAT your paint (I direct you to the manifold under the lower tree. Aftermarket lines don't have crimped connections, and will likely leak until you get everything tightened up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i went with dot5 in my vtx. just clean all the old fluid out first. i did it to my old bike that i had for 23 years. the same fluid was in the system for the 23 years with no problems. i never changed it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I learn a lot every time I ask something on this board. In the case of brake fluid, sounds like the temp. rating is far more important than the DOT #

Thanks again,

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts