Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows what are the criteria for a helmet to get DOT approved and how they're tested.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key,

That was definitely what i asked for, but that kind of legal style of language is a little too much for me. i was curious because i was watching bears and packers on MNF and thinking about the amount of force those helmets go through repeatedly and if they would pass the DOT testing. what are the thoughts?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
My thoughts are the Packers Suck ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
:agree:with scup about the packers and about the helmets i have 2 boys who play football we live in a small town and when i take them to practice on the bike i let them wear their football helmet i fig their probly rated higher than the dot helmet they wear every other time their on the bike

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Quite a bit of difference between getting hit by a 300 lb. lineman versus a 3000 lb vehicle.:roll:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
I would guess no, they would not pass DOT tests. Football helmets are made to absorb repeated blows to the head, but those blows are much lighter. Vehicle helmets are made to absorb 1 heavy impact and in doing so, the material is made to destroy itself to absorb that impact and spread it out to the surrounding material to disperse the energy. This is why it is recommended that if you were to drop your helmet onto the pavement, you should send it back to the company(If they offer this ) to have it inspected.

·
Senior Pirate
7,737 Posts
What Spike said.

Football helmets will NOT meet DOT impact criteria. DOT and SNELL have much higher impact and puncture tests which football/sports helmets don't require. So no, wearing a football helmet on a m/c is not smart or legal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts