Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I have to pull the clutch a few times to finally be able to get my bike to go into gear. Common issue? Suggestions?

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Roll it some. But also might as well check the adjustment too. Better save than sorry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only time I have had an issue was trying to down shift to first after coming to a complete stop. Quick fix seems to be releasing the clutch just enough to feel the engine drag then try again. It pops right into first on the next attempt. Almost like something isn't lining up just right. It doesn't happen all the time and usually I'm in first before coming to a complete stop (never had it happen while still rolling) but every once in a while those stop signs sneek up on you.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Thirsty said:
Sometimes I have to pull the clutch a few times to finally be able to get my bike to go into gear. Common issue? Suggestions?
Common. If you come to a stop and are in higher gears (3,4 or 5) you may need to engage the clutch slightly to align the gears so you can downshift all the way to 1st.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Scar said:
This is a joke... right??? Bikes are Sooooo easy to shift... is this thread a scam or what??
either trolls or the clutch doesn't have enough slack adjustment keeping it from engaging.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Its been suggested its the way the gears are machined :?: ,downshift before you come to a complete stop and this want happen,worked for me havent had a problem since. Good Luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
Upshifting: Right before you pull the clutch lever in to upshift put slight pressure on the shift lever with your foot, then pull your clutch lever in and shift the gear at the same time, this is done in all one motion basically.

Downshifting: Pull your clutch lever in and hold it, downshift at the same speeds that you normally upshift, it will fall right into gear with no problem. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
842 Posts
TennX - downshift before you come to a complete stop and this want happen,worked for me havent had a problem since. Good Luck
That is exactly what I do. I have had this problem until I did that.

Now I am ready to run and no worry about taking off in 2nd from a dead stop.

OhioBob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts