Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 03 vtx 1800 last weekned. It is a great ride but it has the stock exhaust on it. I have done some research and discovered conflicting opinions about running new exhaust w/o a power commander. My local shop said the bike would run lean and blue out the headers as well as cause other problems. Some posts on this sight say it is o.k. I plan on installing one later on in the season or next year. I just wanted an exhaust first. Has anyone ever had a problem running a new exahust without a power commander. What could I expect to happen. Also I am looking for an obnoxiously loud exhaust system for around 350 to 450 bucks. I was thinking about samson drag pipes w/o baffles, any suggestions. This is a great sight and it has helped me a lot in making my decision on buying a VTX. Thanks everybody,

·
Registered
178 Posts
I installed Hard Krome 2.5's last night. Stock Air and no fuel manangement system on board. I took it out for 70 miles and it ran as good as stock with no decel popping at all. I think I will run mine this way and save the $$ for now. If they blue, gives me an excuse for new pipes later...

Mine are loud, only thing I have heard that is louder are super trapp mean mothers....

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Exhaust alone won't necessitate a fuel manager (PCIII, HPP, etc) Most pipes are double wall now, any blueing would happen to the inner wall, the heat shield will never blue. (what you see)

You'll be fine. Once you swap intakes you MIGHT need one, but you're not going to hurt anything without it.

Drag pipes with no baffles will rob some of your low end torque because of lost back pressure. You'll have to choose what's more important to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put a set of Samson Shogan Classics on my 2002S two weeks ago. I had to put baffles in them because they were way to loud. I have no fuel management on the bike and I went for a 200 mile ride last weekend and it ran just fine.

Sourdough

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed Jardine Drags on my 2003 vtx R about 2 weeks ago. I chose the Jardines because many people on this site have said that with Jardines, Vance & Hines, and others, you even gain some back-pressure, and usually no fuel management is required. I did not want to do fuel management if possible. I noticed no loss in power, but did have a little decel popping and the exhaust sounded a little "sloppy". Two days ago I did the de-smog mod and no more popping and it sounds much cleaner and maybe a little deeper. I'm very glad I did the de-smog. I don't know about the engine running too lean...it really runs good...I know that. How would you know if it was running too lean? Anyone know? Hope this might help some.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest reading Tapper's article on Fuel Managers. It's one of the articles at the top of the Tech board. Tappers Article should answer all your questions. VERY informative reading. JB

·
Registered
814 Posts
I put Jardines on my 03 1800, and did the de-smog at the same time. Stock breather. After I did this, the decel popping was very noticable and frequent at all ranges coming off throttle. There was none prior to the alterations. I wasn't going to put the smog stuff back on, and the pipes were here to stay (awesome), so I ordered a PCIII and put it on and the popping stopped. Then I got my Hurricane and the bikes ROMPS! Love it. Great combination. Next is a vist to Pflugerville...(Coyote - custom maping and dyno).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard that there some torque cones that you can mount on your head that sits in the headers that increases back pressure for pipes w/o baffles. Do these help solve the problem or are they a bunch of hooey. I have heard mixed reviews. I really don't want to sacrafice low end torque for the sound I want. If it does lose low end torque does the mid and top end have any gains. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts