Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not that kind . . . I've already done that. A friend with a V-Star 1100 loves the sound of my Clayton drilled pipes. Like me, he didn't want to buy new pipes but wants to get a sound similar to mine. Has anyone had experience drilling a V-Star? Will the results be anywhere near my 1300? Thanks in advance.
Geezer

·
Registered
286 Posts
About two weeks ago, I drilled my buddy's Road Star. I have (7) 15/32" holes in each pipe (Clayton mod) and like it. We put six in his. I think it's too many for those pipes. Should have done 4, tried it and then gone to 5 if he wanted more. With 6, it's so low sounding that there's not enough "bark" in the sound. We also had to turn up his idle because it wouldn't idle at the previous setting. Sounds great at idle, but lacks the guts my X has when I twist the throttle. Should have got an X 8) ... but his bike is really nice too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So I guess to do the Clayton Mod on a VTX you have to remove the Baffles? There is noway to remove the baffles on my 1300. The pipe is seamless and welded to make one piece. How do you get the baffles out? or do you leave them in and just take the pipe off the bike? The instructions are not clear on that procedure.

tlyoungb

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll pass it along. The best advice would be for him to trade that V-Star in on a VTX. :lol: :lol:

As to the baffles and the Clayton mod . . . the drilling is done through the back plates and can be done on the bike. Pretty straight forward procedure.
Geezer

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So there is no need to remove the exhaust system at all then. Would it make it simpler to do by removing the exhaust system? or just leave it as is and drill the holes. I see some where you have to drill all the way thru using a 6 in drill bit and such.

tlyoungb

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You don't remove anything
just drill through the end plate
a 6" or longer bit just makes it easier if you have
a Retro, 'cause the endplate is recessed.

http://www.vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS. ... stockpipes

I ride and work around Vero ALOT, glad to see
more 1300's in the area.
Spencer :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts