Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i ate a little asphalt Friday afternnon. Riding around some and getting ready to spend the weekend at a rally, round the corner, little to much throttle and way to much of that pea gravel crap...lol Back end shot out like someone was yanking it with a rope. Came real close to saving it but in the end it was gravel 1..stupid me zero. Small ding and scrape to my tank , little soreness in my back and ankle is all i got. So not too bad. Whole thing ticked me off more than anything since i turn down that road all the time and should have remebered that spot and went a little wide on the turn and slower.

Hope your weekend went better.......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Too bad experience is our most used learning tool.
I dropped mine about a month ago. just trying to do a u-turn with my wife on ....not enough speed... no counter balance....Busted my pride up more than anything. We knew better. Bike landed on my ankle. Dinged one of the riding lights. The best part, I was able to see how easy it is to pick the bike back up... For some reason that had me concerned. Glad that you are OK.

·
Registered
816 Posts
sorry to here that sic,
here's my bad story to hopefully make you feel a little better. i was going to sell my sportbike to this guy coming to pick it up later that day so i decided to detail it out. after doing that for a hour or so, i thought i'd go give him a full tank of gas so i went to the gas station down the street. well i went around the corner (going slowly), caught some loose gravel and laid the bike down. the mirror practically broke off and i cracked the fairing and turn signal. he ended up buying the bike that day but for considerably less. needless to say i was :cus:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Drops

I've managed to drop mine twice. Once when I was pushing it back into a parking spot I got it leaned ove a little to far and did the slow, lay it on the peg type deal. A sportbike rider helped me pick 'er up (how embarassing is that???) Anyway, the second time I was trying to do a turn around, up hill and didn't make it far enough around, got too hard on the front brake, and, as you may know, a bike with no momentum tends to fall over. Being on the hill, I couldn't hold her up this time so down she went. I didn't hit the ground with it, I ended up heading down the hill. I managed to get her about halfway back up (still on the hill) before one of my friends came to help. Crash bars were my next addition!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Lay down bars

We call 'em crash bars but I like to think of 'em as lay 'er down gently bars.
Just like I tell everybody it's going to, it got away from me at 0 speed. Which if it's gotta go down is the ideal speed.
Once; backin' it into the garage the front wheel dropped off the curb in a cocked position and down she went on the shifter side. Those big ole Lindbys I have? I got 'er picked up and 0 damage to anything, save a little nick in the chrome on the Lindby.
Second time was last week. Pard Herb and me were over in South San Francisco cruisin Skyline Parkway (Rt 53) headin' for lunch at Alices Restaurant. We pull into the parkin' lot and as I come to a rest I put my foot down into a hole, over she goes on the muffler side. Herb couldn't get parked fast enough but a Harley pilot standin' there havin' a smoke and observin' stepped over 'n helped me pick it up. I was so glad there wasn't a big group there eatin'
Again 0 damage to anything except now the Lindbys are balanced.
I consider those episodes gentle reminders. Just my story.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
just glad you are ok brother.
hopefully the aches will go away
and repairs will be light on wallet.

but most important is you are ok.

i had about the same thing happen to me on a intersection
i go thru nearly everytime i go out.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. But I am glad that you are ok, and your bike did'nt get damaged real bad. I hate any type of gravel it is like riding on ice. I hope all goes well for you if you have to repair anything...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry you dropped it brother

Sic,
I too dropped my bike about two months ago. I had the steering lock on and forgot about it. I made a quick U-turn when I started and ....thunk...there she went. I almost saved her..almost. It is amazing how easy it is pick the bike up off the pavement...all 650 pounds. I think it was the combination of adrenaline, embarrassment, and seeing my bike lying on its side and slowly idiling dunk, dunk, dunk, dunk that made my bike lift like a feather. I've become a much more attentive rider since then.
Hope it's not too bad on your wallet.
With respect, I am.............joe clark 8)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I feel your pain! I have about 500 miles on mine and have had two lay-overs. The first one I was turning right from a stop and gave it a little too much throttle. Throw in some sand on the road. I went down hard. One second everything was fine, then all of a sudden I'm on my side and the bike is about 5 feet away from me skidding to a stop on it's side. :evil: Got some scratches to the mirror, floor board, and mufflers with the most damage to top muffler. I planned on getting new exhaust anyway... That was about 2 weeks ago and my ribs are still sore. But I had no trouble picking her up off the ground due to adrenaline/anger. The next incedent was at a stop sign on a hill in a residential neighborhood. It was one of those slow lay-downs. It got to a certain point as it was going over that I knew it was going to be lying on the ground, I just had to bring her down easy. I looked around to make sure nobody saw me :oops: then when I tried to pick her up I was like "Wow this thing is heavy!!" This is my first bike and I know its a little big for a starter but I got her under control now.

Later and ride safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dropped my bike almost a year ago- about three months after I bought it. I was leaving a gas station waiting for a friend in a truck behind me. I decided "Hey I think I'll do a little burn out for fun" I revved it a little and dumped the clutch-needless to say it got away from me. Down it went, talk about embarassing. I hopped off before it hit the ground looked at the bike, looked over my shoulder and realized that I had attracted quite the audiance. Two months in the shop(waiting for parts) and $5000.00 later I had my bike back. I did not go to that gas station for quite a while. Stupidity can be very expensive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too have laid mine down. I had just left for a 350 mile trip and within a mile of starting out I hit gravel coming around a corner. The saddlebags took the brunt of the hit and it did no damage beyond bending my floorboard up and scraping the bags. I have since put an engine guard on and am much more aware going around corners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hear about it, Good, your are Ok Sic,
I’m a new rider 601 miles. I semi-drop twice. I was practicing sharp slow turn to the left at a parking lot. Forgot the throttle and no clutch and BAN bike cut-off. It was a slow lay-down on the left peg. I was surprised, the bike was balanced on the peg without touching anything “well balanced” No damage. I got out the bike to look at it, got back on it and pick the bike up, it was not that difficult. Second, I made a slow sharp turn into a parking spot and try to stop the bike while turning “big mistake” the bike decided to go sideway to the right, another control lay-down, but this time people were around and I was embarrassed :oops: . A good old rider jumped out of his ride and helps me with the bike and told me “Son, New ride right? :oops: Always park your bike backward into the parking spot.” Now, I always do that. I took some time to think about the “WHYs” on every incident and I had learned a lot. That was 370 miles a go. Got me a new set of NC Paladin HW bars.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here's My Testimony

This is the first time I've mentioned this on the board, due to embarassment and too much pride. For some reason, it's not one of my favorite subjects.

Last fall, my son and I took a little detour off the main road to ride across an old covered bridge in this area. On approaching the bridge, I was rounding a slight curve. Although the road was paved, there were loose gravel (famous last words) just before reaching the bridge. In addition, there were some ruts in the road. The combination: curve, loose gravel and ruts proved a little too much for Ol' Orange and me.

I almost missed the bridge. The bike was swaying and dodging like a ship in a storm, but I managed to wrestle her onto the bridge (thank goodness!) The bike leaned over on its right side against the railing of the bridge, but the only damage was a broken turn signal lens, road rash on the airbox and mirror and a bent brake petal. No high dollar damage; however, I've still got a tiny, pea sized fleak on the front edge of my fender to remind me of the mishap. 4 parts and a little touch up paint on the fleak, and I'm back on the road again, a lot more fearful and a little wiser.

Hope your damage is minor like mine. I was a sick puppy until my son andl I (he rides a VTX 1800) could get to get to a good stopping place and assess the damage.

Ride safely and have fun!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dropped mine about 9 months in a decreasing radius turn with a cager :evil: close on my tail..too comcerned about the cager that I looked too late to see the turn coming up..geared down, a little braking, slowed down to about 20-25 mph as I went off the asphalt with a little lean..bike went down in a flash..looking at dirt through my full helmet visor :oops: ..bike on my left ankle..saddlebags saved me a broken ankle..3 people within seconds stopped on lifted bike off my left leg..bike had bent shifter, scratched up windscreen, scratches on tank, scratched up front fender..first bike in 40 years..Glad to hear that you're ok..I ended up with a badly bruised left hip..was able to complete trip but was out of it after getting there for about a week..hip is starting to bother me now but will not give up riding as that is my passison in life now.. :D Keep it blue side up!! 8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
VTX Down

Been there, done that. Jackass jumped parking lanes in a Safeway parking lot and knocked me over, my sweetheart on the back. I saw it coming bout couldn't get out of the way. I muscled her down with all my strength and she went down quietly...without damage. Floorboards and saddle bags saved her.

kmk_vtx

·
Registered
217 Posts
DROP

Well, I have riding for about 10 years, and I have been fortunate enough not to have ever layed down a bike, EXCEPT when I bought my 1994 brand new Yamaha Virago 1100.

Sitting on it in the showroom, I pull the clutch lever in and kick the stand out, but those bikes have a spring that will not allow the stand to be down if the clutch lever is pulled in. I did not know this and down she went as I was getting off . VERY embarassed. I bought the bike anyway (no damage).

·
Registered
973 Posts
So far this is the first bike I've never dropped. Of course I've been so busy since I bought it that I only have 3,000 miles on it so far. My father-in-law got his the same day and has dropped it 3 times, all at low or no speed. One time he forgot to put the kick stand down.

Kfox

1 - 20 of 21 Posts