Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
You could probably strap one to a luggage rack...but why would you want to. If you get stuck just bump start it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You can put an auxiliary battery on any bike, would require mounting inside a saddlebag or trunk. I have an auxiliary battery installed on my Concours, which has a notoriously low capacity alternator. Requires a marine battery combiner and some wiring. PM me for more details if you want them.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
North Dakota, probably wants to install either ALOT of heaters or a snow depth finder with search and rescue beacon, and heaters.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a radio,amp,xm radio or occasional itouch,just installed electronic cruise control on my bike,would one battery handle it?if yes then i don't need xtra batt.don't know about bike charging capability

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
i have a radio,amp,xm radio or occasional itouch,just installed electronic cruise control on my bike,would one battery handle it?if yes then i don't need xtra batt.don't know about bike charging capability
You shouldn't have any trouble with that, and if you did, I would replace the standard bulbs with leds and the headlight with hid ( to save power) before I would consider an extra battery.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Battery capacity is kinda meaningless, its the charging system you dont want to overload. You need to calculate your loads and go from there, just another battery wont do it.........

·
Registered
276 Posts
North Dakota, probably wants to install either ALOT of heaters or a snow depth finder with search and rescue beacon, and heaters.......
:D :D :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Battery capacity is kinda meaningless, its the charging system you dont want to overload. You need to calculate your loads and go from there, just another battery wont do it.........
Correct, if you're pulling more amps than the stator can keep up with then you'll simply drain two batteries instead of one...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Extra battery

I added a seperate fuse block and a glass mat 360cca motorcycle battery in the trunk of my trike to be sure my bike would crank after adding to many toys. I put my GPS, stereo, 300 led's accent lights, and a cell phone charger complete with a trickle charger pigtail on the auxillary battery. This way all I have to do is take the battery in the motel room or the garage and charge it back up. This way I can leave everything turned on at shows and rally's and not worry is she going to crank when I get ready to go home. I also made a pigtail where I can connect both battery's together should the primary battery not want to start. Works great and you won't overload the electrical system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tricle charger

You just add a pig tail to the battery with a diode in each lie to the charger and plug a charger in during the sitting time and have the charger to charge them both.:p

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
If all accessories are ran threw a relay so when you shut the bike off there is no battery drain you should not have any problems. Also adding a heavy duty plug behind the side cover so you can plug in a jumper cable, there are plenty of Car/Trucks to get a quick jump off of. This is how I have mine wired and I carry a set of jumper cables in my saddle bag that just plugs into the bike.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just remember a battery is ALWAYS a load on a charging system, 2 batteries will be twice the load. Batteries start the vehicle and supply power when the vehicle is not running. When it is running the batteries ALWAYS require being charged. A battery at rest is around 12.5V to maybe 13.5V in a lithium. A charging system will be 13.5-14.5 and always charging the battery (in other words, the battery is a load, not a supply).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just remember a battery is ALWAYS a load on a charging system, 2 batteries will be twice the load. Batteries start the vehicle and supply power when the vehicle is not running. When it is running the batteries ALWAYS require being charged. A battery at rest is around 12.5V to maybe 13.5V in a lithium. A charging system will be 13.5-14.5 and always charging the battery (in other words, the battery is a load, not a supply).
Bravo correct!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Change every light to LED. Either switch to HID or VTX Daymaker headlight, buy a 240 cc Battery, and carry a "jump start" battery plus jumper cables. These VTXs are great motorcycles but electric power houses they are not. As Enduro said the limiting factor is the stator.

Somewhere on the forum is the output of the stator and wattage needed just to run the vtx. I used this to calculate if I had enough "juice" to power auxiliary lights and the little amount of electrics I use. after going to LEDs I have enough output to power my 3 H4 headlights and on occasion electric bib and gloves. Now that I have switched to LED auxiliary H-4s and the LED VTX DAYmaker i should have some left over.

H-4 headlights are 55 and 60 watts. Running lights I believer are 8.3 watts each without running the turn signals. So times 4 that is over 25 watts. I changed the license plate light to LED also. Every little bit helps.

BTW: I have had terrible luck with lithium battery as a starter battery at temps below 60, at 40 forget it.

So yes you can run two batteries but still the stator is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,
before having the VTX1800 I had an APRILIA 1000 V2 it was a big battery consumer (permanent computer), now the VTX 1800 also needs a big battery power, so for 6 or 7 years I put lithium batteries and I have never been bored again, where I park my motorcycles in winter I have no electric source to put a permanent charger and in winter I do not ride, however I wake up the battery of time in time and that is enough.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
ah,

without a battery isolator,
one battery will pull down the second...
and you can drain.. both to nothing soon also.

with 2 batteries... always keep a 120 volt powered charger on the 2 batteries when NOT riding...
to lessen the demand on the stator..

Harley guys have been doing this since the 1960's....
no disrespect Harley guys.
now for the battery
to keep a battery healthy..
do NOT drain below 50 percent... or battery will not fully recharge .. FACT.
so your 300cca battery can only offer 150cca....
look into, battery powered gulf carts, battery powered fork lifts. 50 percent.

fyi.. the 1960-1980's.. my cars I equipped with 2 batteries...
2 of them I also ran 2 alternators.. .with isolators..

many ambulances run 2 and 2 from the factory.
Ford offers ambulance rollers with (2) 200 amp alternators.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts