Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an relay inside my headlight (so I could connect a NC lightbar). How do I know if I hooked it up correctly? All the lights work, and when I hit the starter switch the lights go off to start up. Is this right? I wasn't sure which blue/white wire was going to the hi/low beam switch, and which one went to the start switch headlight contacts. Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
BikeMG said:
I installed an relay inside my headlight (so I could connect a NC lightbar). How do I know if I hooked it up correctly? All the lights work, and when I hit the starter switch the lights go off to start up. Is this right? I wasn't sure which blue/white wire was going to the hi/low beam switch, and which one went to the start switch headlight contacts. Help is appreciated.

Yes, you want the lights to go out when starting.

Here is the link ( for a site that has some really good information on a couple of set ups. It also talks about relays and the proper uses.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/foglites.html

If go through the rest of the site, you will find an article on a head light mod that takes all of the load, or draw as it is called, off of the starter switch.

Hope that this helps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I installed the relay as it is shown in the Rattlebars Alternate Option: Headlight (and Light Bar) using the diagram labeled START SWITCH SAFEGUARD. I know I got the power (black/red to terminal 30) and the ground (screw at back of headlight to terminal 85) right, and I added the light bar wire to the output (terminal 87) with one side of the blue/white wire. I just wasn't sure which side of the blue/white wire that I cut went to the (87-Output from the Hi/Lo switch), and which side of the blue/white wire went to the (terminal 86 from the wire that goes to the start switch headlight contacts.
This is confusing to read and I know what I did. :oops: Maybe it would be easier to ask if I connected the blue/white wire in reverse of the diagram would it work properly and still protect my starter switch? Hope this makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts