Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have talked to 2 people who have had some fitment issues when they added our spacer to the SUPER-HUB when it is mounted on the Dunlop 250 tire.

Here is some information that may be helpful to some of you:

240 Metzeler on rim is 9.5 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Avon on rim is 9 5/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Dunlop on rim is 10 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

260 Metzeler on rim is 9 7/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

In the photos below we installed the Metzeler 260 today on our VTX1300. This is not a prototype, it is the DOT approved tire so the dimension is correct.

The gap between the left side edge of the tire and the drive shaft tube is shown by the thickness of two credit cards stuck in the gap. This is 60/1000.

We installed the wheel with a spacer of 145/1000 added to the spacer that is present in the basic SUPER-HUB. The spacers we had been supplying were 500/1000, less the removal of the stock SUPER-HUB spacer which is about 150/1000.

So we will be building new spacers that will not move the wheel to the right as much as our present spacer setup. I am sorry for the delay that this has caused in finishing your projects but I hope we can get the spacers done and out to you as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions please call me so that I can clarify anything you may want to know. Sometimes the leading edge is the bleeding edge and thats about where I am today.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hal, I completely understand. Sometimes being one of the 1st to have a new product also means being part of the R&D process :) I hope I did not come across as being difficult or giving you a hard time on the phone yesterday :oops: My VTX and I eagerly await the new parts so the beast may be complete. I must say that the RC Components Royale rims are the cats meow! :D

You and your team are the best,
Jim

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. We just need to get this fixed so everybody can get their bikes out on the road.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
No problem. We just need to get this fixed so everybody can get their bikes out on the road.
So Hal,
it sounds like the Drive side shim S/B .301 thick?
We also need crush tubes .145 longer?
Are these # just for the RcComponets Rim's?
Sounds like the PM & Weld Wheel Rim's will need a .145 Thk. Shim also?
Is this correct?
Big Joe.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Hmmm this may make me look like an idiot, but does this mean when i order the Super-Hub/Rear wheel Combo that the Dunlop 250 will fit? Cause that looks really tight?

Hal with all the tires you have access to what would you put on a widened swingarm for a 1300C???

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a 1300C in the pictures with the extra wide custom swingarm.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Hal,
it sounds like the Drive side shim S/B .301 thick?
We also need crush tubes .145 longer?
Are these # just for the RcComponets Rim's?
Is this correct?
Big Joe.
After having slept on it I think that today I will get the Dunlop 250 put on the rim so that I can be 100% sure. I was very surprised to find the Metzeler 260 to actually be smaller than the Dunlop 250. I used the Metzeler because I just "assumed" that it would be bigger based on the prototype tire.

So I will have those dimensions tonight.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this correct?
Probably but we are going to need to wait as I am waiting on 50 sets of PM wheels and also the production version of the Weld Wheel SUPER-HUB. We will fit all of those when they arrive.

I just want to get everybody who has the Dunlop 250 on the RC wheels to be able to finish up their projects and get back on the road.

We will install the Dunlop 250 this afternoon to check everything one last time.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I try to get all my PMs and e-mail done before I leave the house cause once I hit the office the phone doesn't stop ringing.

But this isn't early. Its 8:15AM here. When you see me posting around 5AM or so then thats early and I rarely do that.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_ ... fl_060.wav

adam said:
I try to get all my PMs and e-mail done before I leave the house cause once I hit the office the phone doesn't stop ringing.

But this isn't early. Its 8:15AM here. When you see me posting around 5AM or so then thats early and I rarely do that.

i've seen you posting at 5am before. in fact, i'm watching you right now. look behind you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have talked to 2 people who have had some fitment issues when they added our spacer to the SUPER-HUB when it is mounted on the Dunlop 250 tire.

In the photos below we installed the Metzeler 260 today on our VTX1300. This is not a prototype, it is the DOT approved tire so the dimension is correct.
I'm no math guy but I'm trying here. Ok, let me get this straight... If the 240 is 9.5" wide and the 260 is 9.7/8" wide, that would make the difference between the 240 metz and the 260 metz only .3/8"...correct???
According to my tape measure, that would mean that .3/8" is "slightly" equal to only 10mm..........Metzeler is a weird bunch HUH :roll:

·
Registered
124 Posts
X1800C said:

I'm no math guy but I'm trying here. Ok, let me get this straight... If the 240 is 9.5" wide and the 260 is 9.7/8" wide, that would make the difference between the 240 metz and the 260 metz only .3/8"...correct???
According to my tape measure, that would mean that .3/8" is "slightly" equal to only 10mm..........Metzeler is a weird bunch HUH :roll:
I think that part of it is that Hal most likely mounted the 260 on an 8.5 inch wide rim. If you went with the 9.5 inch wide rim would probably get the 259mm max width listed by Metz. Now Metz does say either rim is acceptable.

I have the Dunlop 250 on my bike and it looks great. It took a lot of additional modding to get it to work but I really like it. If you are looking for a simple bolt up, definitely go with the Metz 240.

·
Registered
990 Posts
VTXrage said:
I think that part of it is that Hal most likely mounted the 260 on an 8.5 inch wide rim. If you went with the 9.5 inch wide rim would probably get the 259mm max width listed by Metz. Now Metz does say either rim is acceptable.

I have the Dunlop 250 on my bike and it looks great. It took a lot of additional modding to get it to work but I really like it. If you are looking for a simple bolt up, definitely go with the Metz 240.
Is that the 250 Dunlop on your bike that Hal was sayin it's bigger than the 260 Metz?

What extra mods did you have to do, to get this 250 in there. I just want to be for-warned...... Thanx

·
Registered
937 Posts
So Hal... does this mean my 200 will fit... :lol:

Good Luck folks, hope all is worked out if I ever decide to change!

RKip 8)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is that the 250 Dunlop on your bike that Hal was sayin it's bigger than the 260 Metz?

What extra mods did you have to do, to get this 250 in there. I just want to be for-warned...... Thanx[/quote]

Yes, I have the Dunlop 250 Hal spoke about on my bike. Below are some of the major mods that needed to be done.

1. Shimming the wheel over to eliminate any rubbing on the left side of the swingarm.

2. Due to the tire being shimmed over and the fact that I have 11" shocks I had to cut the frame rails off just aft of the shock mounts. If not done, I would have rubbing on even small bumps.

3. Again, due to the tire being shimmed to the right I also had to shim the fender out to the right. Not only for looks but also to eliminate rubbing on the rigth side of the fender.

I hope this provides some insight into the process. Now if you go with the Glacial Graphics fender you are already going to cut the frame rails off. I have the Mongo unit where normally you keep the rails intact. The only reason I went with the Mongo fender is I really like my corbin seat. Good luck in whichever route you go and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jim :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts