Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to tune my bike. '08 1800F2

I'm going to be changing the intake/fuel management/exhaust.

From my searches I have read to "make sure you have your bike dyno'd by a competent tech".

My question is: "How do I figure out if my tech is competent?"

I have used the phrase "He knows enough to be dangerous but not enough to be intelligent." to describe a few people in my life and I'd rather not trust someone like that if they are able to say things that may sound good but not be true.

How do I separate the people posing as mechanics from the real brains?

:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
63,995 Posts
Call the shop. Make sure they use a "Load dyno" and that they use an air/fuel sniffer to read your exhaust gasses and make changes accordingly. A true custom map session should run more than 2 hours and do many dyno runs. If they tell you they can do it in an hour. All they are doing is downloading a map from the net, just like you can do, and then make guesses as to what your map needs.

·
Super Moderator
63,995 Posts
You can also ask on your state board for better local help as I'm sure someone knows where a good dyno guy is in your area

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Call the shop. Make sure they use a "Load dyno" and that they use an air/fuel sniffer to read your exhaust gasses and make changes accordingly. A true custom map session should run more than 2 hours and do many dyno runs. If they tell you they can do it in an hour. All they are doing is downloading a map from the net, just like you can do, and then make guesses as to what your map needs.
bingo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts