Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Honda Vtx 1300c. I have stock intake and a vance & hines longshot exhaust. It was running great until I installed the jet kit with DJ195 main jet. I followed the directions exactly. After installation, my bike won't idle without the choke on. Do I have the air-fuel screw incorrectly set? What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
I moved your question to the "1300 Riders" board where you will get faster answers. The "How To;Step-by-Step" board is for posts showing others "How To" do something 8)

Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.
There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”
Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
49 Posts
Remove DJ kit. Stock air box needs NOT to be rejeted. Add K&N filter or aftermarket breather then yes. If you do that I'd suggest a Factory Pro jet kit. Mine had DJ. I replaced with FP. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove DJ kit. Stock air box needs NOT to be rejeted. Add K&N filter or aftermarket breather then yes. If you do that I'd suggest a Factory Pro jet kit. Mine had DJ. I replaced with FP. Good luck
Thanks for the reponse! I will remove it tonight and hopefully that brings it back to working great. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
That 195 main jet flows way to much gas for a stock air box. Put the stock stuff back in and when you change the air box out then use the DJ kit. The DJ kit can be tuned very easy to run in the X.

The thing you need to remember about the different jet kits is that Stock and Factory Pro both go by the size of the hole and Dinojet goes by the amount of flow. The 195 DJ main will flow the same amount of gas as the FP 220 main.

The DJ pilot or idle jet that comes in the DJ kit is way to big (mine was a 65) you will need to go with the stock 55 or the 58 pilot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That 195 main jet flows way to much gas for a stock air box. Put the stock stuff back in and when you change the air box out then use the DJ kit. The DJ kit can be tuned very easy to run in the X.

The thing you need to remember about the different jet kits is that Stock and Factory Pro both go by the size of the hole and Dinojet goes by the amount of flow. The 195 DJ main will flow the same amount of gas as the FP 220 main.

The DJ pilot or idle jet that comes in the DJ kit is way to big (mine was a 65) you will need to go with the stock 55 or the 58 pilot.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts

Spot on.

The folks that don't recommend DJ are the same people who can't tune it. . . . user error can't be blamed on the parts kit.

A stock airbox though needs no rejetting as mentioned.

Don't listen to the folks telling you to buy a factory pro kit, you'll just waste more money on another jet kit you don't need right now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree VTX1300cnme, I've got the DJ installed, starts without choke, no hesitations, and pulls hard. :dontknow: I'm sure there both good kits.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
both kits do work and can be tuned easily if done the correct way. i just had both kits in my bike and got a comparison. although neither kit is the correct one for my engine the both work ok. the factory pro kit gave me more torque than the dj kit with a very similar tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So I just reinstalled the factory jet, spring, and needle. All hoses are in place, everything is back to where it started. I brought the AF screw all the way in and then counterclockwise 2-2.5 revolutions. I still have the same trouble. No idle without choke. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vacuum hose loose , carb not seated in the boot, slide together incorrectly....to name a few.

Nothing wrong with your jet kit, just that you dont need it right now.

Upon removing my intake for the first time I mistakenly adjusted the idle knob. I thought this was how to release it and to be honest, at the time I had no idea what the idle adjustment knob was. I toggled that after reinstalling my factory kit and it runs without choke!!!! I think this was the primary error from the start. Thank you to everybody for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts