Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
"Checks" is just a term that also covers direct deposits in the Stimulus conversation.

Last time i was in a Bank was 2017 when i sold my last bike.
When he talks about "Checks" it means "Direct Payments". No paper involved, are you kidding, this young kid probably pays for things with his phone. Checks = Direct Payments

·
Premium Member
6,773 Posts
Maybe it’s a Yankee thing. I’ve not had any problems with paying for goods and services in NC and TN with cash. Haven’t traveled more broadly than that since late February.
Locally here, cash is not accepted. I believe, however, that cash is the one form of payment that cannot be legally refused. It is the only legal tender in our economies. It's odd because Canada now has plastic bills. Should be easy enough to sanitize.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Locally here, cash is not accepted. I believe, however, that cash is the one form of payment that cannot be legally refused. It is the only legal tender in our economies. It's odd because Canada now has plastic bills. Should be easy enough to sanitize.
Interesting. I guess it could be another sign of the coming wave of “progress”

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
my stimulus checks.. were Real paper checks... came by USPS... in a mail box.
I still have a check book... with paper checks to write..:)

Cash... I might use 20 dollars in cash a year...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sanitize money, that's called Money Laundering.
THE expert here in the US is the Clinton 'foundation', you'll get ten cents on the dollar back for each 'donation'.
Any gift to this 'foundation' is tax deductible so adding it all up you'll get your ten percent from the 'foundation' and an other 30% percent back on your taxes. That's not bad at all.
😯

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
my stimulus checks.. were Real paper checks... came by USPS... in a mail box.
I still have a check book... with paper checks to write..:)

Cash... I might use 20 dollars in cash a year...
Yes, i know you got a check. I still have my checkbook in the Bills "clip" (Huge Paperclip on a stand for holding bills) BUT, i haven't written a check in years, do everything online.

But again, my point was that "Checks" = direct payment = direct deposit or paper check or any method to directly pay people in this case (the Young Mans terms in the orig video).
His generation has seen very few paper checks, so few that the word "Check" has taken on a new meaning for them.

I do agree with you 100% the Paper Checks, Paper billing and paper communications are going the way of the buggy whip, heading for obsolescence. It's interesting when hearing national stats on number of Americans using technology, there are always a certain percentage of people doing things the old way. There are people still watching "Tube" TV's,
writing checks monthly, do not have internet at home, and yes, a percentage still use a buggy whip i imagine....

It's still taking me awhile to go totally paperless with bills although a few i have. This pandemic will convert a lot more people to paperless i bet.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming all the way, flog me within an inch of my life, and threaten harm to my wife before I will.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
all my 'stuff' is electronic... banks, bills, etc.

aka paperless.. about 4 years now.
oh, I am 68-ish.. :)

been on-line since the early Commodore 64 days.
I have been using the same e-mail address.. since 1989... ( started for work )

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
all my 'stuff' is electronic... banks, bills, etc.

aka paperless.. about 4 years now.
oh, I am 68-ish.. :)

been on-line since the early Commodore 64 days.
I have been using the same e-mail address.. since 1989... ( started for work )
Do you have any theories as to why you got a paper check??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
my guess....
2018 I had to pay them. thru TaxAct.
2019 I had no pay or refund.
So are you saying that if someone files a return and didn't indicate their Banking info, the Fed ignored your SS banking info and defaulted to check?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
The way I understood it, they only looked for electronic banking information for refunds (not for paying taxes)on 2019 returns. If the information wasn't found there, then they looked on 2018 returns. If the information wasn't on either of those tax returns, then you could have used their app to submit your banking information. If that didn't work for whatever reason, then they used your mailing address on the most recent 2018 / 2019 tax returns. Sounded like they didn't use any banking information from SS.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The way I understood it, they only looked for electronic banking information for refunds (not for paying taxes)on 2019 returns. If the information wasn't found there, then they looked on 2018 returns. If the information wasn't on either of those tax returns, then you could have used their app to submit your banking information. If that didn't work for whatever reason, then they used your mailing address on the most recent 2018 / 2019 tax returns. Sounded like they didn't use any banking information from SS.
"Sounded like they didn't use any banking information from SS." ......IF...... you filed those Tax returns, right???

My understanding was people who didn't file at all but who were on Direct Deposit with SS, got the stimulus via direct deposit.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
"Sounded like they didn't use any banking information from SS." ......IF...... you filed those Tax returns, right???

My understanding was people who didn't file at all but who were on Direct Deposit with SS, got the stimulus via direct deposit.
not in my case..

my SS has been direct deposit.. as is my wife's SS... and has for a few years..
I was not able to get the IRS bank link to work... as it asks for amount refunded... no refund.

also.. wife and I get SS... to same bank.. but under each of our own names.

the stimulus paper check came in BOTH of our names.. on one check.
as we file as a married couple.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
not in my case..

my SS has been direct deposit.. as is my wife's SS... and has for a few years..
I was not able to get the IRS bank link to work... as it asks for amount refunded... no refund.

also.. wife and I get SS... to same bank.. but under each of our own names.

the stimulus paper check came in BOTH of our names.. on one check.
as we file as a married couple.
Okay, well we all got the payments, the rest is academic.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts