Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I admit it, I'm dumb when it comes to electrical wiring. Bareing that in mind, does anyone know if I can use the same 2 wire connectors that are connected to the stock horn on the VTX 1800, to reconnect to the aftermarket Stebel Nautilus compact horn? I plan to remove the stock horn. By the way, if anyone is interested, I found a supplier on the east coast ($39.95 + S&H)

thanks

livfree

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
horn relay

Bare

I checked out the Rattlebars link to "Hooking up Extra Horns". Looks like some good info. Will be reading it today.

thanks

livfree

·
Registered
841 Posts
One of these?

I thought that the Stebel comes with a relay. Either way, I don't think you'll be bale to mount it in the stock location.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Gotta admit I too have also been "wiring challenged". After reading Bare and Rattlebars posts, now I'm a solderfreak.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stebel horn relay etc

Yes....the Stebel Horn does come with a relay, but the question is, do you really need it. Why can't the horn be connected to the same 2 wire connectors as the stock horn. I tried it out last night, and it does work without the relay. The Stebel horn wiring diagram requires a 20 amp fuse on the positive wire from the battery. The VTX wiring diagram in the manual shows a 30 amp fuse in that location.

Secondly, you are correct, it won't fit in the same location as the stock horn. That part is O.K. with me as I'm not crazy about the stock horn location. I plan on mounting the Stebel horn to the underside of the NC Paladin highway bar, near where the highway bar is secured to the frame. This will lift it up about a foot, getting it further away from road crap.

P.S. I still have to take the time to read the Rattlebars write up on "How to hook up a horn" http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/hornrelay.html
At this point, I am not convinced that the Stebel relay is needed. Stay tuned.

livfree

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you're changing out one for one the stock setup will work fine. I used a relay because I hooked up 6 hi-way blasters using stock for trigger. Gets everybodies attn. believe me. :wink:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latest info

The data on the back of the stock horn leads me to believe it only draws 4 amps. The stock horn part # is MBL-2E12C12V4A108DB21Z. I think that the 12V4A108DB means 12 volt, 4 amps, 108 decibels. Of course, I could be wrong.

The Stebel Nautilus is specified as drawing 18 amps. The installation instructions show a 20 amp fuse inline on the +12V wire from the battery to the relay. If that's the case, then maybe the relay that comes with the Stebel horn should be used after all, so as not to burn out the horn switch, since it appears that the Stebel horn draws 14 more amps than the stock horn.

livfree

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like...

a train is about to ride up your butt (139 db). Go to the website below. Click on "Products", click on the "Motorcycle" icon, click on "Nautilus Series", and try the sample sounds. The horns come in red, black, and chrome. They are about 25% larger than the stock VTX horn, but much loader.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm

livfree

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Re: stebel horn relay etc

livfree said:
Yes....the Stebel Horn does come with a relay, but the question is, do you really need it. Why can't the horn be connected to the same 2 wire connectors as the stock horn. I tried it out last night, and it does work without the relay. The Stebel horn wiring diagram requires a 20 amp fuse on the positive wire from the battery. The VTX wiring diagram in the manual shows a 30 amp fuse in that location.

Secondly, you are correct, it won't fit in the same location as the stock horn. That part is O.K. with me as I'm not crazy about the stock horn location. I plan on mounting the Stebel horn to the underside of the NC Paladin highway bar, near where the highway bar is secured to the frame. This will lift it up about a foot, getting it further away from road crap.

P.S. I still have to take the time to read the Rattlebars write up on "How to hook up a horn" http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/hornrelay.html
At this point, I am not convinced that the Stebel relay is needed. Stay tuned.

livfree
The bike has 2 30A main fuses that feed the rest of the bike - it's not just the horn getting fed through that 30A. Use a relay - if you're drawing that much power you WILL trip some fuses in the "regular" fuse box and if nothing else you'll be exceeding the load that should be placed there. Use the relay, pull power direct from the battery or a small fuse block:

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/p ... =698932574

And then you won't have to worry about it. :wink:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
install horn relay

I agree. The relay sounds like the right way to go. I plan on installing the 4-posted relay that came with the Stebel horn. I just need to pick up a 20 amp inline fuse at Radio Shack, and I'll be ready to start wiring. I'll post the results when I get it installed.

Thanks
livfree

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice site there livfree. Although I liked the sound of the TM 80 Magnum series better. Sounds like a big honkin Buick.

The JM2 truck horns were awesome but where to hide/mount an 18" long horn? :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts