Honda VTX Forum banner

Electrical ground problem?

509 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bareass172 
#1 ·
Randomly, my '02 C will act like the battery is low, and be slow to start. Sometimes even will fail. I might try 10 times and it will then kick over. Other times, it starts like there was never a problem. Seems random. I bought it last November, so I don't know the history. I replaced the battery, and had the same problem. Does this sound like a bike that never had the electrical ground fix done?

#2 ·
Yes, sounds like you need to do the ground fix. Check bare's sight for full instructions. www.bareasschoppers.com

Sorry I don't see the fix on bare's sight, but what you need is on tech.vtxoa.com. Thanks spike for correcting me on that.

I thought bare had the write-up on his sight at one time?

#4 ·
CruisinFHG said:
Randomly, my '02 C will act like the battery is low, and be slow to start. Sometimes even will fail. I might try 10 times and it will then kick over. Other times, it starts like there was never a problem. Seems random. I bought it last November, so I don't know the history. I replaced the battery, and had the same problem. Does this sound like a bike that never had the electrical ground fix done?
You may also want to check out your starter relay. I rolled out my 03 Retro today and tried to start her and no go :evil: Heard the relay click but not making the connection between the battery and starter. Jumpered the connections between battery and starter and it started right up. My $0.02.

BGP

#5 ·
Our bikes vibrate enough that the battery bolts will tend to come loose
over a period of time. I would check mine out every couple of months.

Also, if you have a lightbar, don't run it when you are going at low speed.
The extra current draw can pull down the battery.

And it is not impossible that you might have one winding in your
three phase alternator open, or an open diode in the rectifier,
or the regulator not working to spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.