Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 1300C and it's a daily commuter (most days) because as long as the roads are dry I ride. South Carolina makes it easy to do. I do all the maintenance on my bike, it's just part of the fun of being an enthusiast for me. The problem I'm having is The lights on my speedometer would occasionally flicker and that's been going on for months. It never happened for a long enough period to trace it down so I figured something was loose and it would show itself. About 2 weeks ago I jumped on my bike and the speedometer and odometer did not work. I checked the voltage at the green plugs under the tank going to the gauges and it was normal. Checked the ohms on the ground and it was good. Since then I have no lights on gauges (except green neutral light), no left turn signal and right turn signal works as a running light and as turn indicator. I have checked fuses and battery connections and I can't see where all these would be connected except through the instrument cluster. I don't care so much about knowing how fast I go because it's never fast enough and I seldom look at it but I do want all things working properly.
ANY IDEAS as to where I could start checking?
Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Did you look at both of the plugs? There are two that go to the dash.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Two plugs under gas tank toward the front. Some time's they can come lose. There is one if it come's lose the bike will not crank. I use a tie wrap then electrical tape them together.:tools1: I do not know if this is the problem, but I would check there. Charlie D could answer this question.:smile2:

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
The Neutral indicator works because it gets a Ground from the Neutral switch.

The TS/run lights have a Green ground wire common to the headlight.(6pin Blue connector in headlight bucket.)
Check your left TS bulb.

The speedo unit has a separate Ground wire at the "Common Electronics" Ground bolt on the Front Ignition coil.

I would check the Speedo Ground (Green/Black stripe) at the coil and at the Green connector.

Do you have any added fog/halogen driving lights?

Reactions: jimamiah

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Neutral indicator works because it gets a Ground from the Neutral switch.

The TS/run lights have a Green ground wire common to the headlight.(6pin Blue connector in headlight bucket.)
Check your left TS bulb.

The speedo unit has a separate Ground wire at the "Common Electronics" Ground bolt on the Front Ignition coil.

I would check the Speedo Ground (Green/Black stripe) at the coil and at the Green connector.

Do you have any added fog/halogen driving lights?
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have checked the 2 green plugs several times and they appear to be good. I will check the 6 pin connector in the headlight as well as the green/black stripe ground at the coil however I did check continuity of the ground pin to the frame of the bike. It that ground at the forward coil?
I do not have any additional lights on my bike however last year I installed an LED light strip for brake and turn signal however the brackets didn't hold up so well so I ended up going back to the stock system. They were only on my bike for about 3 months before I changed back in May of last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE- I checked the green plugs yet again with a close eye on the individual pins and sure enough 1 was not fully engaged. Once I corrected it then all the lights began to work properly however the speedometer and odometer still are not working. I also checked the wires under the seat and the ground wire at the coil. It's looking more and more like the sensor (sending unit) so that's my next challenge. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over the summer I broke down and ordered a new speed sensor and installed it.... Yes that corrected my problem.... It's nice to have access to the speedometer even though I rarely use it....

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
1300 VSS failure is rare.
Same part on a 1800 and the failure rate is higher.
I use the GPS speedo and the VTX odometer.
Thanks for updating your thread, always good to see the end result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts