Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey thanks for all the info so far.

I have another problem possibly to ask you all about.

I bought the Hondaline light bar and a Back-Off brake light modulater and had the dealer install them for me.

The dealer wrench told me that the light bar would only work with the low beams. I thought it would work when ever I turned it on. Anyway I let it pass and took my bike home 250 miles by trailer.

When I take it out of the garage last night to get some pictures I decided to check out the light bar. It came on but I had no headlight. I checked to see if it would work on high beam, nothing. I check the fuse box and the fuse is smoked and the extra fuse isn't there.

Tonight I will buy some fuses on the way home and see if it smokes another. I hope not but if it does I'm thinking of calling the dealer and telling them about it. I figured they should be willing to let another dealer that is local to me fix it and pay them for it.

Does anyone have any ideas what this would be if it still blows the fuse? Where could I get a wiring diagram of the bike if I have to fix it myself?
I plan on buying the service manual but at the moment I can't swing the $60.00. Hell I needed chrome!

Thanks all.

Bill

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Gotta do this first:

JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP....man this is fun! :lol: Just like one of those big bouncy rooms like the kids play in at the fairs!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Sorry about that...that was my evil twin replying :twisted:

Ok...my thoughts are that you'll be very hard pressed to get them to let you take it to another dealer and have them pay for it. That probably ain't gonna happen. HOWEVER, I would dump it back off on them and make them make it right. The hondaline lightbar just plugs into a factory provided socket that's already there in your headlight. They must have cobbled something up to make it blow the big 30amp jobber. My guess is that you've probably got two of the 10 amp fuses blown as well. Should be alright to get it there on low beam once you've replaced all the blown fueses, but take your receipt for the fuses and make them reimburse you.

With the Hondaline lightbar, they shouldn't be splicing wires. Something's wrong there. Might be they could have shorted out something with the back off module.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Cody450 said:
Easy on the caffeine there Rainman! 8)
Well....he did say to JUMP on this thread (in the thread about conflicting advice from the dealer wrench). Sorry...just havin a little fun on a boring Thursday afternoon. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Experience has taught me to check everything the service dept. has done before I get too many miles away

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rainman,

Thanks.

I should have been more specific about the fuses. It was the 10amp that was blown for the headlight.

As far as taking it back to the dealer goes, I wouldn't be able to do it until the middle of May as my friiend with the trailer is going to MO turkey hunting for a month.

If I had some miles under me on it I would ride there but I don't have much ridding time on me and it is a 5 hour drive. That and I wanted to do the break in at home.

Bill

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
GA Rainman said:
Cody450 said:
Easy on the caffeine there Rainman! 8)
Well....he did say to JUMP on this thread (in the thread about conflicting advice from the dealer wrench). Sorry...just havin a little fun on a boring Thursday afternoon. :D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............what was that? :lol:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
bowsrus said:
Rainman,

Thanks.

I should have been more specific about the fuses. It was the 10amp that was blown for the headlight.

As far as taking it back to the dealer goes, I wouldn't be able to do it until the middle of May as my friiend with the trailer is going to MO turkey hunting for a month.

If I had some miles under me on it I would ride there but I don't have much ridding time on me and it is a 5 hour drive. That and I wanted to do the break in at home.

In that case, then yeah...I might make a little more of a stink about them letting another dealer fix it and them pay for it. Sorry, I was going from my own eperience in which I've got about 4 dealers...all within about an hour of me.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts