Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright a question for all you guys, would it be worth it to make a kit "plug and play" ready to install for the cruise control that I did a write up on?
I would need to make it plug and play (as far as connectors).
and the mounting points so that it would be solid on mounting.
I have also been working on a custom switch for the front of the bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, I would be interested.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah I've been wanting to add one for many years now. I'm a very serious do it yourselfer and was going to look into getting one from another bike such as a Goldwing or Harley and see if I could adapt it to fit the X. I also know that Audiovox sold one but not sure if it's still available though. Keep me posted I'd love to know what you come up with

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the write up for a rostra model that works perfectly (thanks to another vtx'er that helped tremendously, you know who you are)
I found that on a few bikes I will have to make a vss signal amp and a custom style switch.
I am actually waiting on parts (waterproof switches) to show up from the distributor to make sure my schematic works. and it passes my throw it in a bucket of salt water overnight and see if it works in the morning test. figure if it passes that, then Ill go to the next revision which is finding a shop that will make a outer casing for the switch and the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Cool Danater, You have some skills. I can swing a pretty good hammer to a nail but that does nothing for inventing/fixing anything on my bike.
I will always own my X and a cruise control plug and play would very much interest me..
I am a big user of cruise control in my car, in the big trucks I drive, conditions permitting of course.
A 100 horsepower super cruiser like our X's with cruise control. Works for me!!!
Keep us posted with the development..

REAPS

·
Registered
669 Posts
+1 I'd be loving a Cruize Control

I would be interested as well. Throttle locks are great but can't match an active cruise control for stable speed.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
Easier install would be great for most. LOVE my cruise control. Seems like your salt water test us way more than needed. I'm using the stock unit filled with pooky and it has been working for 6 years in Seattle. I don't ride in the rain all the time but it has been way more than wet on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
electronic cruise

i would be all over that if you decide to do it i would definitely intersted

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easier install would be great for most. LOVE my cruise control. Seems like your salt water test us way more than needed. I'm using the stock unit filled with pooky and it has been working for 6 years in Seattle. I don't ride in the rain all the time but it has been way more than wet on numerous occasions.
I tried the pooky and the unit died within 3 weeks, so I embarked on making it work and not look pretty. So I am now back to the drawing board, to make the whole thing work and it should be pretty easy just gotta get the right look now.

edit: I have built up a switch so it works well, now I need to built a latch into it so I can use smaller momentary style push button switches and the "cruise engaged light, and cruise on light". Also I will be tackling the problem some people have with the speedo not working or the fi light coming on after an hour or so of riding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Very interested !!! With the research & development you putting into this thing it should be pretty good. You are just like me , I over-engineer things as we'll just to be on the safe side. Keep us posted !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,181 Posts

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
A million is a little steep for my budget. Once they get in to a somewhat normal price range let me know I am interested.

Daryl
I think smoke is going to buy the only one! :lol:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol I dunno about 1 million dollars (tho wow I could pay my college loans off and retire OMG) but if its what I think its going to be id say around 500 depending on cost and r&d and what I can get the parts that I need made for it. I personally prefer not to have "shipped from china" on stuff sent to my house but electronics you sometimes just have to.

Anyway.
I have 2 options that im considering.
1) you decide how to mount it and route the harness and all that.
it will include oe style connectors, you can use or not use up to you
my personal style switch and im thinking some zip ties and shrink wrap and such
as in a parts box basically.

2) I decide where to mount the unit how its routed and I will build the harness accordingly
I will have oe connectors plug and play style
my personal style switch.
goal is to have no "splices" into the factory harness that are permenant. as in you can remove and throw at someone
if you so choose with no ill effects on the bike.
obviously I will have you route the control cable, pick the connection point for the throttle and you set it up to your preferences.
basically it will be able to be put on with minimal effort.

opinions are more than welcome.

·
Registered
529 Posts
lol I dunno about 1 million dollars (tho wow I could pay my college loans off and retire OMG) but if its what I think its going to be id say around 500 depending on cost and r&d and what I can get the parts that I need made for it. I personally prefer not to have "shipped from china" on stuff sent to my house but electronics you sometimes just have to.

Anyway.
I have 2 options that im considering.
1) you decide how to mount it and route the harness and all that.
it will include oe style connectors, you can use or not use up to you
my personal style switch and im thinking some zip ties and shrink wrap and such
as in a parts box basically.

2) I decide where to mount the unit how its routed and I will build the harness accordingly
I will have oe connectors plug and play style
my personal style switch.
goal is to have no "splices" into the factory harness that are permenant. as in you can remove and throw at someone
if you so choose with no ill effects on the bike.
obviously I will have you route the control cable, pick the connection point for the throttle and you set it up to your preferences.
basically it will be able to be put on with minimal effort.

opinions are more than welcome.
Maybe you could offer two different setups. A simple more out of the box plug and play with minimal technical how to by the person who installs it. then you could have one that is more for those who are more tech savy and may want to do a bit more custom install. This could mean just allow for some basic wiring for controls and some basic switches without a mounting box.

One other option is to come up with different available options that you could add to build your own custom setup.

One thing you might consider since I haven't seen this anywhere. (maybe I should shutup and do this myself)

I know of no other affordable system that can be added aftermarket that allows an owner to customize there bike with a more factory like cruise control and full stereo-MP3 and GPS controls. I know that this would require much more extensive work to come up with.

It would definitely add the ultimate cool factor to any scoot!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe you could offer two different setups. A simple more out of the box plug and play with minimal technical how to by the person who installs it. then you could have one that is more for those who are more tech savy and may want to do a bit more custom install. This could mean just allow for some basic wiring for controls and some basic switches without a mounting box.

One other option is to come up with different available options that you could add to build your own custom setup.

One thing you might consider since I haven't seen this anywhere. (maybe I should shutup and do this myself)

I know of no other affordable system that can be added aftermarket that allows an owner to customize there bike with a more factory like cruise control and full stereo-MP3 and GPS controls. I know that this would require much more extensive work to come up with.

It would definitely add the ultimate cool factor to any scoot!:thumbup:
Alas, im a poor college student, I dont get to play with cnc machines and metal saws lol. (dont I wish)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Plug and play set up with minimal fuss would work best IMO. Don't overestimate an average individual thinking that they can solder split wiring harnesses etc. While some can , most don't or don't feel like doing it.
Make the harness a little bit longer so folks can route it differently if they wish. I'm not sure what kind of set up you going for , but have in mind that some folks have CB radio's , so the cruise control unit should be mounted below the light switches and be thumb operated while CB radio control unit goes above light switches since it's index finger operated.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Can you post the link to your cruise control install write up.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts