Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, here is a link to what I consider to be one of the best Safety related videos on the net.

The comparisons are eye opening, although not surprising between skilled and beginner riders.

·
Old Goat
25,376 Posts
Impressive video.....God is my Co-Pilot...the few times Ive been in trouble had everything to do with my lack of skills...example...light rain...car stopped suddenly ...rear end came around ...headed for under the car...all of a sudden it was if a hand reached down and righted the bike and and I came to a complete upright stop....:LOL:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Best not do this.:(

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Darkside lockup keeps you straight. The Linked 1800 brakes help too.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I rode for YEARS without understanding the science of emergency braking and how it is supposed to be done. After much reading the conclusion is that most riders in an emergency stop situation will do what 'comes natural' and it's up to the rider to program their mind with practice so what is natural is the right method. This programming can only take place with emergency braking practice. Some safety courses offer training, but at the very least a rider can practice in a safe spot at speeds that aren't going to cause a crash. I've done this spending a weekend in an abandoned parking lot and it helps to boost your confidence.

Key to understand is weight transfer from the back to the front wheel and how this affects braking. The goal is to use both brakes and not lock either up. Seconds count so I always ride with two fingers over the front brake lever. Using 2 fingers instead of the whole hand is supposed to help prevent locking the front brake. Any skidding means lose of braking, so I've read if the front skids, let off and reapply. Many novice riders don't realize how much the bike weight lifts off the rear tire in an emergency and how critical the front braking is by comparison.

Here are some good tips for practice:

A Practice Guide For Braking

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
fyi,,,, a stoppie can be done on a VTX1800, Fact.

Reactions: Blast and rangers4u

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode for YEARS without understanding the science of emergency braking and how it is supposed to be done. After much reading the conclusion is that most riders in an emergency stop situation will do what 'comes natural' and it's up to the rider to program their mind with practice so what is natural is the right method. This programming can only take place with emergency braking practice. Some safety courses offer training, but at the very least a rider can practice in a safe spot at speeds that aren't going to cause a crash. I've done this spending a weekend in an abandoned parking lot and it helps to boost your confidence.

Key to understand is weight transfer from the back to the front wheel and how this affects braking. The goal is to use both brakes and not lock either up. Seconds count so I always ride with two fingers over the front brake lever. Using 2 fingers instead of the whole hand is supposed to help prevent locking the front brake. Any skidding means lose of braking, so I've read if the front skids, let off and reapply. Many novice riders don't realize how much the bike weight lifts off the rear tire in an emergency and how critical the front braking is by comparison.

Here are some good tips for practice:

A Practice Guide For Braking

Yep, after I first got my motorcycle endorsement, I spent a lot of time in the parking lot practicing braking and slow speed maneuvers, Uturns etc. I still go to the parking lot and sharpen up. Timing is everything in braking.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Pretty good, hopefully better with the new rear tire. A couple weeks ago after a group ride a few of us were heading home. One fellas gps told him to turn right. He was in front and to the left of me. I saw the signal go on and not expecting him to turn there it caught me off guard. I grabbed the front brake, the clutch and applied pressure to the rear brake. The rear 8 year old bald tire locked up and started sliding. I was lucky to keep it upright. Luckier the other rider was paying attention and didn’t turn into my path. We survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The first time you take your VTX to try an practice emergency stop you'll be impressed with how poorly it stops and how long it takes to bring all that weight to a dead stop before you reach a marker (e.g.traffic cone set up in a parking lot). You'll also see how hard it is not to lock up the back tire. Anyone who hasn't practiced at least a few time really owes themselves the experience. It's an eye-opener. :eek:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've looked and looked and I can't find my 'emergency brake'! '02 18C, did I get ripped off?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I've looked and looked and I can't find my 'emergency brake'! '02 18C, did I get ripped off?
'Fred Flintstone brakes'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts