Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 1300C would accelerate without any clatter. Not so with the '06 1300R. The '06 R sounds okay at idle or low speed cruising and does not clatter under no-load revving. But it sure does make noise when accelerating under load. I can even hear it at highway speeds.
It sounds like a valve lifter is sticking, but that would happen all the time, right?. Could engine fasteners have been under-torqued during production? The loose sound is very annoying. I have owned many a Honda bike in my life and none of them did this.
Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Byron, I guess the first questions that come to mind are how many miles has your bike got on it and have you done the valve check/adjustment? I don't mean taking to it to the dealer to have them "listen" to it, I mean do it yourself so you know that it's been done right. I'm not saying that's your problem but it sure would be a good place to start given your symptoms. I recently did ours and 5 of the 6 valves were .001 off. No big deal although I did adjust all 5 to specs but I have seen some posts here where some folks had them much farther off.
If you would like to get together to talk sometime let me know. We could pick a Sonic or anywhere here in town.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Byron, didn't you just get that bike new? If so, I'd let the dealer handle it under warranty - especially if you think it is engine related. But, I can't imagine valve clearances loosening up like that on a new bike.

Here's what little I've learned about valve noise on our X's:

* Some valve noise is normal - these bikes have solid lifters.

* Valve clearances checked on our X's tend to be found tight rather than loose. Don't know if they loosen up or tighten up as the miles rack up.

* Better to have clearances loose rather than tight - too tight (no noise) and it could lunch a motor.

That said, are you sure it isn't a rattle of some sort? Sometimes aftermarket pipes do that.

Also, you're not running premium gas in your baby, are you? Use 87 octane.

·
Registered
36 Posts
engine noise

Hey Byron, I have an 05R and its the noisiest most rattteling bike I have ever had. That being said it is also my favorite, noise and all. If you check out the 1300 board you'll find a lot of guys with the same complaint. They seem to make the same noise even after the valve adjustment. I took mine into the "stealer" and he said it was normal.

However, the vale check/adjustment cant hurt. I would rather check it and find it was good than let it go and take a chance it might be off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts