Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 660 miles on the bike. It clatters during acceleration. Sounds great at idle and no-load revving. Even sounds good at low speed cruising. Why all the clatter during acceleration? Valve problem already? Exhaust leak? Just wondering how many of you have same problem. My '05 1300C never did this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well im not much a machanic r speller but one thing i know for sure ,when i first got my 2006 1300R i was runing 93 octang and she got to chattering in hard pulls and after that tank r 2 i went with the 87 octang and that fixed it. hope thats helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reply to cybrhick

Any speed, any gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine does the same thing from the time I pulled off the showroom floor (ok the parking lot) to now at 1,000 miles and I had my checkup/adjustments done at 900 miles.

???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just type the word `clatter` in the search section at the top of the page and you will find that almost every VTX 1300 has this noise to a greater or lesser degree.It seems that it doesn`t indicate anything is breaking.My 06 has this noise,and after a while you will ignore it.Apparently, these engines are bulletproof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 1300R has it a little even at idle. I think it's normal with the single pin crank engines. I've had a few Kawasaki Vulcans (single pin with counterbalances just like the VTX) and the VTX 1300 sound very much like the Vulcans. If you want sewing machine smooth you need to go to dual pin crank engines.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought I was the only one... My 03 retro does it, I talked to the shop about it and he said not to worry about it. I hear it alot more now that I have me windshield on, I guess I'm just going to have to do a muffler mod to drown out the clatter. LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 06 R also, with about 900 miles, I have an appointment on Tuesday for my first check up. I was having clatter during acceleration, but I was running 89 octane, I then went to 93 octane and it went away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, I have a different read on the clatter issue. I've read about clatter over the last couple of years and never really understood, because my 04 C seemed pretty quiet, as engine noise goes.

Supposedly had the valves checked by the dealer at 4000 miles, still no problem. I just had the valves checked at 8000 miles by a different mechanic, now there is valve clatter, in addition to a ticking noise.

So I'm left wondering why I'm getting clatter / noise now but not before. Just got back from a 1300 mile trip and it continues to run great, just a bunch noisier.

I had to tear it apart after the valve adjustment to clear the crankcase breather hose, but not sure I'm ready to get into a valve adjustment.

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I adjusted mine at 600 miles and they were all tight. I set them all .001 off to allow for more tightening. They were pretty quiet afterwards. At 4k, I checked them again and they hadn't moved so I re-adjusted so they were dead on. Now they make noise. So for my bike, when the valves are set correctly she lets me know it. That's been my experience.

·
Registered
886 Posts
JP33 said:
I adjusted mine at 600 miles and they were all tight. I set them all .001 off to allow for more tightening. They were pretty quiet afterwards. At 4k, I checked them again and they hadn't moved so I re-adjusted so they were dead on. Now they make noise. So for my bike, when the valves are set correctly she lets me know it. That's been my experience.
How will setting them off .001 effect the motor?
Will there be any damage to valves or bad wear if they are set this way?
The honda manual gives a +/- .001 variance.

Another question. when you say set them off .001. that is loose right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
RedVTXRider said:
JP33 said:

1. Setting them off .001 won't effect the engine.
2. It shouldn't damage the valves or anything else cause it is such a minute amount. It does lessen the noise though because the valves are not tapping as loud when they close.
3. They were still within spec because as you said, the manual states +/- .001. I adjusted mine loose .001 to give the valves a little room in case they tightened anymore.

·
Registered
886 Posts
JP33 said:
RedVTXRider said:
JP33 said:

1. Setting them off .001 won't effect the engine.
2. It shouldn't damage the valves or anything else cause it is such a minute amount. It does lessen the noise though because the valves are not tapping as loud when they close.
3. They were still within spec because as you said, the manual states +/- .001. I adjusted mine loose .001 to give the valves a little room in case they tightened anymore.

Thanks JP. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I had a 06 1300R and it didn't clatter at 2500 miles. I'm with cyberhick ....gas problem or to high of gear.

Matter of fact my bike did not have any of the problems that anyone has brought up on this board. I guess I got a good one from HDL.

????? 8)

RIP young [email protected] miles. :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
clatter, clatter

I have a 2007 that has clattered on accelaration through all gears since I have owned it. I have taken it to 2 mechanics/honda dealers, had valves checked and they tell me it is the nature of the beast. If it bothers me, buy some louder pipes or an Ipod. I am getting used to it, but still not happy with it. Apparently the valve clearance is designed negineered loose and thus the clatter, but will lead to longer lasting engine. I guess.

·
Registered
995 Posts
2006 1300R

The only "clattering" I have heard on mine is when I hit the throttle and am geared up too high....4 gear at 30mph for instance. The valve "clattering" to me seems more of a constant and doesn't really change much during operation. And it is more of a pleasant "clicking" more than a clatter! LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had the same concern with my 07 also. My bike "clatters" when accelerating with a load in any gear. It starts at about 2000 rpm and goes away if I let off the gas. It has done this from day one. I have been to two different dealers, listened to bikes at these dealers and every bike I have checked out has made the same noise as mine. It might be hit or miss with other bikes, but I know some do it and some don't. I don't know what it is, but after talking to two different shops, I feel pretty sure nothing is wrong with my bike. I did a search for clatter and engine noise and it took quite a while to go through all of the posts. The one thing for sure is that there aren't many, if any at all posts about engine failure. My new cobra slashdowns should help cover up some of the engine noises.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just the "nature of the beast" for the VTX1300 to clatter.

If you want to hear a noisy running engine, ride a H-D for a few months. You'll think that our X engines are like the old "whisper jets" in comparison. :shock:

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 04 S sounds almost likethe rods are knocking when I accelerate hard. The engine was pretty quiet untill around 4,000 miles. I even rechecked the valves after the dealer adjusted them and they were all within specs. I've now got over 12,000 miles on it. I recently adjusted the valves again myself and the engine still sounds like crap but it runs strong and uses no oil. I have to agree that it must just be the nature of the 1300. By the way, I ride with a bunch of guys who own Harleys. None of which clatter or rattle as loud as the X. :dontknow: Hope you can learn to accept the noise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts