Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1300 is noisy 1100 miles had it at the stealer again he thinks its ok i dont think its valves i dont hear ticking when cold or hot its more like a dull light knocking noise worse when hot under light to medium throttle in the 1500-3000 rpm range if i let off the throttle its gone in higher gears cant hear it above the wind noise at higher speeds all stock noticed noise about 500 stealer did valves at 600 mi service thought it was ok then but has gotten louder the last 500 i haven't been around any other 1300's to compare to seen some posts about it being noisy

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Its normal ,kinda sounds like a little man with a hammer inside the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You beat me to this question, I have about 1400 miles on my 1300 C, and it also makes the noise that you talk about. I wear a full face helmet when it is cold so I didn't really notice the noise that much until I changed to my shorty helmet a couple weeks ago. It really doesn't sound like valve train noise, it is more like a "rod knock" noise which I am sure it is not. The bike runs great so I am curious what other 1300 have to say about this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a ticking also. I thought valves, but it runs great and looks better so I really don't want to mess with it. Unless someone thinks there could be a problem starting. Otherwise I ride today and pray for tomorrow.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The only thing that appears certain is that the noise you are experiencing is NORMAL for THIS engine. Some say it is a symptom of single crankpin engines. However, I've never detected it on test rides of other Honda single crankpin (ie 750) engines.

Has anyone ridden a Harley and noticed a similar hammering noise from the engine? What about the single crankpin Kawasaki's?

I know Honda was trying to make a more visceral motorcycle with the 1300 VTX but if they think riders actually LIKE this noise, which sounds like its gonna throw a rod at any moment, they're sorely mistaken. It ranks amongst the highest complaints for this otherwise fine motorcycle. Louder pipes help to bury the cacaphony but they're no cure.

G

·
0 Posts
Harleys have their own set of knocking sounds coming out of the engine. The VTX has a noisy engine and is also considered normal. I have both. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You don't know how relieved I am reading this, Great! Thanks guys.

I have 2500 on my bike (as of today) I don't hear anything on idle, and only hear it when I have a helmet, I think due to Wind resistance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the begining when I first got my 1300 retro the noise bugged me to no end. I took the bike to three different dealers and they all said the noise was normal so I put Double D American Classic Straight pipes on the bike and ignore the engine noise while riding. My bike ran like poop before the exhaust change and now it runs like it should! :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Adjust the carbs?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I came home after a ride last night, and while the engine was still warm and idling, I adjusted the throtle stop screw on the lower right side, and had it idling just above a stall. Of course I'm listening closely to the bub-bub sound and enjoying it, but the knocking was noticeable, and a sound like a sewing machine was heard when I was on the bike. I couldn't hear the noise from a few feet away, so I'll just consider it normal and enjoy the rest of this great bike. We're not nuts, just a little paranoid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts