Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 1800s and have owned the bike since 2007 with only 1200 miles on it. When ever I do an oil and filter change I am only able to put in 3 quarts of oil. It's done in the garage so I know the bike is level and the dipstick indicates it's at the proper level. Are the dipsticks for the 1800 and 1300 the same and if not is it possible that the dipstick I have is for the 1300 and not the 1800. I am at 20,000 miles with no issues with the bike just concerned with the oil capacity.

Thank you,

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
3.9 quarts oil and filter change.
I use the entire 4 qts.
Do you have an owner's manual???
The dipstick is NOT screwed in for oil measurement.
The dipstick sits on top of the threads, with VTX vertical for the measurement.

The oil quantity is the important item, whether the stick is right or wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Agreed with Hans, are you measuring with the dipstick RESTING on top of the threads? And with the motorcycle upright, not on the KS?
And did you open BOTH drain bolts?
I realize these are newb questions but we need to establish a baseline here. We do not mean to offend, we mean to collect information to help you.

I just did oil change on my 1800 a week ago. Opened both plugs, drained via oil filter plumbing as well. Let it all drip out for a while. Put in 3.9 and am right on the dot on the dipstick.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
When draining the old oil, did you drain both the front and rear sump? There are two.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
This sounds like the dipstick is being screwed all the way in to check the level

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed with Hans, are you measuring with the dipstick RESTING on top of the threads? And with the motorcycle upright, not on the KS?
And did you open BOTH drain bolts?
I realize these are newb questions but we need to establish a baseline here. We do not mean to offend, we mean to collect information to help you.

I just did oil change on my 1800 a week ago. Opened both plugs, drained via oil filter plumbing as well. Let it all drip out for a while. Put in 3.9 and am right on the dot on the dipstick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drained from both plugs, dip stick not screwed in but the bike is on the side stand. owners manual said level but since i don't have a bike stand the bike is not vertical. If that is the case then that would account for the difference.
You would have thought Honda would have taken that into consideration when manufacturing the dipstick that not everyone has a bike rack to put the bike on. It will give me an excuse to buy a bike rack.

Thank you all,

·
Registered
395 Posts
It doesn't mean to put bike on a rack, just straddle the bike and hold it vertical, putting the bike on a rack should make it level side to side, not necessarily front to back.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
When I drain oil on the kickstand (usually), after it runs out I then straddle the VTX and hold it up
vertical between my legs and let more oil out. A little side to side movement then hold at
center to let more oil out.

If I do the oil change on a stand (rarely) then no shifting of VTX from side to side.
4 quarts or one gallon jug it all goes in. The reservoir is large enough to handle it.
I also pre-fill my oil filters! That is the way I have been doing it for years.

Reactions: Jim Travis

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Drained from both plugs, dip stick not screwed in but the bike is on the side stand. owners manual said level but since i don't have a bike stand the bike is not vertical. If that is the case then that would account for the difference.
You would have thought Honda would have taken that into consideration when manufacturing the dipstick that not everyone has a bike rack to put the bike on. It will give me an excuse to buy a bike rack.

Thank you all,
Each time you left in 9/10 quart dirty oil? I'd sue the [email protected]$tards!!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an 03 1800s and have owned the bike since 2007 with only 1200 miles on it. When ever I do an oil and filter change I am only able to put in 3 quarts of oil. It's done in the garage so I know the bike is level and the dipstick indicates it's at the proper level. Are the dipsticks for the 1800 and 1300 the same and if not is it possible that the dipstick I have is for the 1300 and not the 1800. I am at 20,000 miles with no issues with the bike just concerned with the oil capacity.

Thank you,
Are you screwing the dipstick in, or just setting it on the hole? Don't screw it in.

Check out the specs, there is a link to download an 1800R manual, engine is the same. Search for 1800R manual here.
Specs are different for changing oil, changing oil and filter, or rebuilt (new) engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you screwing the dipstick in, or just setting it on the hole? Don't screw it in.

Check out the specs, there is a link to download an 1800R manual, engine is the same. Search for 1800R manual here.
Specs are different for changing oil, changing oil and filter, or rebuilt (new) engine.
Also your engine should be hot, so the oil drains completely.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts

Thank you all,
Get a friend to straddle the front wheel and help hold the bike upright while draining. Or tie off the handlebars and the back somehow to keep it vertical. You can make a stand easily from 2x4 scraps and a box of long screws, but you will have to buy a lift/ jack to get it in the air. Something you really should consider for the long run.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
987 Posts
Here is my oil change routine. I place a wide but short pan than can slide under the frame. Drain the two plugs and when it starts to slow drip , I straddle it upright for a few minutes. New filter,plugs installed and four quarts Amsoil....done. First things first, I heat the oil up to drain better by ridding around the block. I don't even bother to check the dipstick.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
33 Posts
It doesn't mean to put bike on a rack, just straddle the bike and hold it vertical, putting the bike on a rack should make it level side to side, not necessarily front to back.
Yes this. That would definitely account for your misreading the oil level. And by the way any motorcycle with a dipstick (or a sight glass) requires you to stand the bike upright whether you are straddling it, or holding it or putting it on the center stand. That’s the way the engineers designed the oil sump to be when it’s being checked. Otherwise if it’s on the side stand, what if the side stand on one bike leans further than on a different bike?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I did something years ago to help read the oil. Once I knew I had the correct amount I put the bike on the side stand then checked the oil again. Then marked the stick and took a file and filed a little notch. I'm able to check the oil on the side stand now. Not taking credit for the discovery, read it here years ago. I do check it when I put it on the jack for other things.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
3.9 out...3.9 in I dont see the problem/confusion.....unless bike smokes like a diesel....gooooooooood Luck...

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I did something years ago to help read the oil. Once I knew I had the correct amount I put the bike on the side stand then checked the oil again. Then marked the stick and took a file and filed a little notch. I'm able to check the oil on the side stand now. Not taking credit for the discovery, read it here years ago. I do check it when I put it on the jack for other things.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Reactions: gesedl

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
3.9 out...3.9 in I dont see the problem/confusion.....unless bike smokes like a diesel....gooooooooood Luck...
Some owners use a slightly longer filter which holds a small amount more oil. 4 qts. with a new filter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts