Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andrea (my wife) rides a 1300C. She's been riding it since last July and has just over 5k miles on it.

About 2 months ago, while riding down one of our great canyon roads here in Colorado, she noticed a major change in engine performance. She says the engine just doesn't feel the same. The way she describes it is that it feels like it's skipping 2nd gear. At speeds where she used to use 2nd gear, it now feels like 2nd is too high and 1st is too low, and there's not an in between where the bike feels comfortable. She also feels that the bike just doesn't have the engine breaking ability that it used to when downshifting into second. And, she now feels "comfortable" staying in 2nd until 60-70mph, because it's lugging when shifting into 3rd.

I've ridden it and just can't feel what she's feeling, but I ride the 1800. However, 2nd gear ran all the way up to 83mph before the rev limiter kicked in... is this normal? Another rider who rides a 1300 rode Andrea's bike and says there's a noticeable difference... but the Honda dealer says "nothing wrong with it".

Anyone else experience this or hear of such an issue????

Looking for advice... thanks for your help!

GnA
(George and Andrea)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 1300 will go to 80mph in 2nd. I tried it yesterday!
As for the engine not feeling right, start with the easy stuff and check that you have spark to both cylinders. Take all 4 plugs out and make sure they all look good and are the same color. You will be able to tell if one cylinder is not firing.
If that all checks out do a compresion test and adjust the valves.
If that still doesn't help check the intake system for vaccume leaks and do a leakdown test to check for bad valve seats, piston rings etc.
Good luck. Hope you find the problem.
Dave

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave Blackburn said:
The 1300 will go to 80mph in 2nd. I tried it yesterday!
As for the engine not feeling right, start with the easy stuff and check that you have spark to both cylinders. Take all 4 plugs out and make sure they all look good and are the same color. You will be able to tell if one cylinder is not firing.
If that all checks out do a compresion test and adjust the valves.
If that still doesn't help check the intake system for vaccume leaks and do a leakdown test to check for bad valve seats, piston rings etc.
Good luck. Hope you find the problem.
Dave

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts