Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...
Just got my bike reassembled last night. Broke a bolt on a valve cover and had to strip what I could so the dealer wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg to drill out the hole. They didn't remove the engine block, I"m told they simply tilted it while in the frame to drill out the broken bolt. I reassembled it. Engine runs fine. But what I discovered last night was that when I put it in 1st, clutch in, kickstand up, it immediately kills the engine. To repeat, I do not release the clutch lever. While holding it and putting the bike in gear, it kills the engine. It was late last night and I was to0 pissed and bummed to do any true troubleshooting. I also don't remember there being anything in the manual in the the troubleshooting section that described anything like this.

I'm not looking to bash the dealers wrench, just want my machine up and running. It's supposed to be 70+ degrees this weekend. Would really appreciate some suggestions regarding what I should check before I go bitch to the dealer this evening.

Cheers mates.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would check that all the wires were put back correctly. Sounds like it could be something that simple. I bet it's an easy fix. Just take some time and look it all over.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
It's most likely a safty switch out of whack. Check the connections and operation of the sidestand and clutch switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the safety switch theory, if i hold the clutch in on mine and try to put the kickstand down with it in any gear it will kill the engine immediatley. There might be an adjustment for the switch or a foreign object in the switch. or worse case the switch is bad. :cry:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Safety Switch

Poison and badandy have given you the most likely answer. Tilting the engine could have detached a wire (from the gearbox?). It might look connected, but not be making good contact. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Same response as above, stated another way:

It sounds like it's somewhere in the kickstand safety circuit. Trace the wiring from the kickstand back to the wiring harness.

Eddie

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Re: kickstand

Twodogs said:
Is your kickstand down. Safety feature wont run with kick stand down

Mad Hatter said:
Hi all...
Just got my bike reassembled last night. Broke a bolt on a valve cover and had to strip what I could so the dealer wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg to drill out the hole. They didn't remove the engine block, I"m told they simply tilted it while in the frame to drill out the broken bolt. I reassembled it. Engine runs fine. But what I discovered last night was that when I put it in 1st, clutch in, kickstand up, it immediately kills the engine. To repeat, I do not release the clutch lever. While holding it and putting the bike in gear, it kills the engine. It was late last night and I was to0 pissed and bummed to do any true troubleshooting. I also don't remember there being anything in the manual in the the troubleshooting section that described anything like this.

I'm not looking to bash the dealers wrench, just want my machine up and running. It's supposed to be 70+ degrees this weekend. Would really appreciate some suggestions regarding what I should check before I go bitch to the dealer this evening.

Cheers mates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts