Honda VTX Forum banner

EPA raises standards on motorcycles in 2006

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  wildabouthorses 
#1 ·
...looks like we won't be able to do a certain mod on the VTX after 2005! I know it will sound like old news but many bikers don't know about it yet and it takes effect next year!

Check out this link http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm and click on the pdf file...
"Major Steps of Certification and Compliance for 2006 and Later Model Years Highway Motorcycles (Draft)"

Here's something I found online about it in easier terms...

December 23, 2003

EPA ISSUES NEW STREETBIKE EMISSIONS RULES

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports that road-going motorcycles nationwide will be required to meet new strict emissions standards beginning with the 2006 models, under rules released by the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

But the new rules, issued December 23, give small-volume motorcycle manufacturers a break in meeting the new standards, and provide for exemptions for certain motorcycles.

The EPA rules set new emissions standards that are the same as those adopted by the state of California, but will go into effect two years after California's standards. The first tier of the new national standards will go into effect in 2006 and a second tier in 2010.

The new national emissions standards are expected to result in an increased use of fuel injection and catalytic converters on new motorcycles. Some motorcycles sold in the United States already meet California's strict 2008 standards, which are the same as the planned federal EPA 2010 standard.

The California standard that begins with the current model year, 2004, and the federal standard that will take effect for the 2006 model year, require new motorcycles to emit no more than 1.4 grams per kilometer traveled of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide.

Before passage of the new federal rule, federal emissions standards for street motorcycles were 5.0 grams of hydrocarbons and 12 grams of carbon monoxide per kilometer traveled.

Under the new rule, manufacturers who build fewer than 3,000 motorcycles a year, and who have fewer than 500 employees, don't need to meet the first-tier emissions standards until 2008. They also aren't required to meet the second-tier standards.

The EPA also provides certain exemptions for "kit" and custom motorcycles.

Nothing in the new rules changes what owners may do legally to customize their motorcycles.

See less See more
#2 ·
The nice thing is none of us care about the EPA anyway :lol:

Seriously, many of the mods we already do violate the EPA "rules" but we do them anyway. I guess one day if states do start doing emissions testing on motorcycles we'll have to watch what mods we make but I don't think the testing will come anytime soon. (I hope anyway!)

Thanks for the headsup though, guess pretty soon all the VTX's will have evap canister for us to all remove! :wink:

#5 ·
txvtx1300 said:
Read the last line of your post.....
"Nothing in the new rules changes what owners may do legally to customize their motorcycles."

This only applies to the manufacturer.

Key word there is "legally"

If you look at aftermarket pipes, they say for off road/show use only. Pretty much all of them cause your bike to exceed the legal decibel levels.

The same off road/show use only label applies to some other common modifications too.

#6 ·
Jynxx said:
txvtx1300 said:
Read the last line of your post.....
"Nothing in the new rules changes what owners may do legally to customize their motorcycles."

This only applies to the manufacturer.

Key word there is "legally"

If you look at aftermarket pipes, they say for off road/show use only. Pretty much all of them cause your bike to exceed the legal decibel levels.

The same off road/show use only label applies to some other common modifications too.
Not really true.......you would be suprised at the proposed legal decible limits. I think it is like 105 at 50 feet? Anyway I had mine measured at my last inspection and my HK 3" Straights were under the limit at point blank range. The inspector said the only ones he had seen that may exceed the proposed limit were pretty radical straight pipes. Most of ours that come with baffles are going to be ok in the decible dept. Considering the pipes do not clean the exhaust w/o a catalitic (SP) converter and our emissions are already under the limit by a good margin it is unlikely a set of pipes will be a violation for the emissions either. We shall see though if it really ever comes into fruition and our bikes are not grandfathered in!

#7 ·
txvtx1300 said:
Not really true.......you would be suprised at the proposed legal decible limits. I think it is like 107 at 50 feet?

Legal decibel limits are more complicated than that...it's a state by state setting. Some states are 80, a few are 95...Colorado is 99db.

And in some instances, it's by city.

#8 ·
Jynxx said:
txvtx1300 said:
Not really true.......you would be suprised at the proposed legal decible limits. I think it is like 105 at 50 feet?

Legal decibel limits are more complicated than that...it's a state by state setting. Some states are 80, a few are 95...Colorado is 99db.

If you noticed I was referring to TX which was where it was inspected.....happens to be the same proposed for NH too. I made no inferrence that was nationwide :wink:
It is not really complicated.....it is just different levels for different areas if and when it actually becomes enforceable.
Since you have that list please share each areas DB limits with us and the criteria for measuring in each area. I would like to know where 80 is proposed especially..... :wink:

I guess you missed the point anyway. They say there will be db limits.....everyone shudders thinking thier pipes are too loud because thay are aftermarket......not many know if thiers will really pass or not because they have not had them measured them with a db meter at 50 ft or whatever thier areas proposed criteria is. They may be suprised that thier pipes might be ok! (referring back to my first line!)
That is all I was trying to say............

#9 ·
txvtx1300 said:
If you noticed I was referring to TX which was where it was inspected.....happens to be the same proposed for NH too. I made no inferrence that was nationwide :wink:
It is not really complicated.....it is just different levels for different areas if and when it actually becomes enforceable.
Since you have that list please share each areas DB limits with us and the criteria for measuring in each area. I would like to know where 80 is proposed especially..... :wink:

I guess you missed the point anyway. They say there will be db limits.....everyone shudders thinking thier pipes are too loud because thay are aftermarket......not many know if thiers will really pass or not because they have not had them measured them with a db meter at 50 ft or whatever thier areas proposed criteria is. They may be suprised that thier pipes might be ok! (referring back to my first line!)

You started talking about your own state later in the posts. The original discussion was based on the EPA and what owners could legally do in modifications to their own bike, as opposed to what the manufacturer could do. Nobody but you mentioned only Texas. You lost yourself somewhere along the line.

You just happen to live in a state that's lax on motorcycle noise. Yes, there are several states that are lenient but several (including mine) are quite strict.

If you really want to know each state's legal limits, look it up yourself.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... asp?state=

#11 ·
Jynxx said:
txvtx1300 said:

You started talking about your own state later in the posts. The original discussion was based on the EPA and what owners could legally do in modifications to their own bike, as opposed to what the manufacturer could do. Nobody but you mentioned only Texas. You lost yourself somewhere along the line.

You just happen to live in a state that's lax on motorcycle noise. Yes, there are several states that are lenient but several (including mine) are quite strict.

If you really want to know each state's legal limits, look it up yourself.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... asp?state=
Sorry....like I said you missed the point. Thanks for the condescending remarks though. As far as the part you want to nitpick I inferred TX as it was the inspection station I went to......I did not visit every one nationwide so I was not commenting on everywhere at that point. I would have been more specific if I thought it actually mattered or that you would not be able to understand something so simple.
Again.....the point was.....how many really know the decibel reading of thier bike as measured by thier applicable local laws? Some may be worried for nothing!
That is as simple as I can put it.....hope you understand that or can find someone to explain it to you if not :wink:
:?

By the way.....I don't "just happen to live in a state that's lax on motorcycle noise", it was a choice :wink:

#12 ·
Hey TXVTW1300 are you normally this uptight or are you just being an ass for us tonight?

#14 ·
I didn't miss any point, TX. You changed the subject and started talking to yourself. Your original "point" was - quote "you would be suprised at the proposed legal decible limits. I think it is like 105 at 50 feet" Actually all you'd do is surprise yourself if just check the website I posted. Most of the states are not 105 at 50 feet, they are 82 at fifty feet. That's basically your stock pipe and nothing more.

I never attacked you. You started with the condescending tone and cute winks beside all your snide comments. I can see you're trying real hard to put me down, and act like you're smarter than me (you're not). But that's okay, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

All in all, my point stands. There are no differences in to what individuals may do to legally modify their bikes in the new laws from the EPA. And each state has their own laws in effect to regulate the level of noise your modifications put out.

That's all.

#15 ·
txvtx1300 said:
Jynxx said:
txvtx1300 said:
Not really true.......you would be suprised at the proposed legal decible limits. I think it is like 105 at 50 feet?

NH is 106db at 20 inches from pipe @ 45* angle.

Nate

#16 ·
Jynxx said:
I never attacked you. .
Did I say you attacked me? I was talking about Larry. Please try to keep up.......

All in all, my point stands. There are no differences in to what individuals may do to legally modify their bikes in the new laws from the EPA. And each state has their own laws in effect to regulate the level of noise your modifications put out.
Thanks for making your point again and thanks for pointing out the obvious. I guess you just want to fight and you don't get it.....oh well!

I can see you're trying real hard to put me down,
No, I am not trying hard at all.....

and act like you're smarter than me (you're not).
Just by making that statement with what little you know about me proves you are not a MENSA member.

I'm out....this is just silly. You guys take this way too seriously!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.