Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noted in the last couple of weeks several of my regular fuel stops are now selling all ethanol blends. Anyone else noticing this around here?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some stations around the Grand Island area offer all the blends. Just depends on how their stations are set up. I don't use ethanol in my VTX but do in the Goldwing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Are you talking about E10 and E85? I know up here in Omaha, E10 has been available at damn near every station for almost 10 years now. E85 is still rare though. Either way I still stick with the 87 octane, get better fuel mileage since it's not an oxygenated alcohol blend.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about E10 and E85? I know up here in Omaha, E10 has been available at damn near every station for almost 10 years now. E85 is still rare though. Either way I still stick with the 87 octane, get better fuel mileage since it's not an oxygenated alcohol blend.
E10 is what I am seeing. I was avoiding and ony using ethanol free 87. I had read on this board that the E10 blends gunked up carbs. Several of my regular fueling stops have changed to all ethanol blends.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hello ALL!

Only using E10 for the last 67k and still running strong for what it's worth. Well I did use 85 octain in Colorado and 87 when I found it cheaper. Being cheep I do it for cost and the manual says it's OK. But not E85, hope their using a seperate hose for that stuff! I think that would melt the molybdenum bore coating in my Throttle body.:yikes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hello ALL!

Only using E10 for the last 67k and still running strong for what it's worth. Well I did use 85 octain in Colorado and 87 when I found it cheaper. Being cheep I do it for cost and the manual says it's OK. But not E85, hope their using a seperate hose for that stuff! I think that would melt the molybdenum bore coating in my Throttle body.:yikes:

I think they actually have to have a separate hose for the E85, but the more you idiot proof something the quicker they come out with a better idiot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VTXHOGG - What I read was that ethanol blends tended to gunk up the carburetors. You 1800 fellas, with that fancy fuel injection don't have to worry about that problem.

I'm not sure that it really is a problem or not, but I try to use Stabil or Sea-Foam with every fill up this time of year so when I shutthe bike down for the winter it has 'treated' gas in it. I do tend to try to buy non-ethanol blends when I can. There are still a fewstations around, but I noticed several have now switched to all ethanol blends .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Been running E-10 for well over 20 years here in northern Indiana..Not much choice in the matter, as it's all that available except for one station about 20 miles east of me, and way too far out of the way to go for fuel...And in all that time I have yet to have ONE SINGLE issue with any of my cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, snow blower, chain saw, etc...No gunked up carb, engine problems, or anything due to the fuel...I had a varnish issue with a '67 VW Beetle I bought (had been sitting for about 4-5 years), but I had to rebuild the carb due to Seafoam loosening up crap in the fuel system and it made it's way into the bottom of the float bowl...Nastiest orange crap I'd ever seen in a carb...Was surprised the car ran at all, as the main jet was completely plugged...100% gasoline will turn to varnish over time just the same as E-10 will...The only negative thing attributed to ethanol is that it attracts moisture, and that can lead to rust in the gas tank...During riding season the bike doesn't sit still long enough for the fuel to go bad, and in the winter I treat it with Seafoam...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello ALL!

What I read was that ethanol blends tended to gunk up the carburetors. You 1800 owners, with that fancy fuel injection don't have to worry about that problem. I'm not sure that it really is a problem or not, but I tend to use Stabil or Sea-Foam with every fill up this time of year so when I shut the bike down for the winter it has 'treated' gas in it. I do tend to try to buy non-ethanol blends when I can. There are still a few stations around, but I noticed several have now switched to all ethanol blends

1 - 9 of 9 Posts