Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a 2005 vtx 1800 3000 miles the guy never road it. I was wondering if anybody is using any waterless coolant given the fact the bike only has 3000 miles and has been sitting I will be changing all the fluids anyhow. any suggestions as to what I should use? Also hyper charge or not? is it worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm sure a post like this will probably end up a lot like a favorite oil thread. Use good antifreeze and follow the directions. There was a problem with silicate components of some antifreeze damaging the seals. Look for "Silicate Free" in the description. Some folks will tell you that you MUST dilute antifreeze 50/50 with water. I really don't know and I've been pouring it in straight since 1973. That could have been what turned my hair silver. I don't know. Never hurt a car and it surely never froze.

Edit: I didn't see the hypercharger question. Don't waste your money unless you really like the way it looks. It's eye candy. Purely for looks, and a profit. We could debate all day on whether it really adds any horsepower but if it does there's no real way to measure it. On a dyno, the bike is standing still. With a properly maintained 1.8 Liter motorcycle engine you have a huge quantity of horsepower more than is needed.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I use Prestone, but as Beezer said - any quality anti-freeze will do the trick. As far as Hyper-Charging.... in my humble opinion, the bike is strong enough as it is. Sounds like you got a GREAT deal on the bike. Last year I picked up my 2007 1800T - with 528 miles on it. Go figure...........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Antifreeze & Hyper Charger

I'm about to purchase a 2005 vtx 1800 3000 miles the guy never road it. I was wondering if anybody is using any waterless coolant given the fact the bike only has 3000 miles and has been sitting I will be changing all the fluids anyhow. any suggestions as to what I should use? Also hyper charge or not? is it worth it.

Thanks
I researched, read 10 jugs of antifreeze at Auto-Zone, then I decided that I would just buy the crap from the dealer and not worry about it.
I have the Pro-R Hyper-charger and I like it too! Roll with what you like!

·
Registered
9,005 Posts

Thanks
Very first post is an interesting one:

- No on first question...I suggest research the "How To" board on everything you wish to know about the radiator and coolant. It will also help on the "other fluids" as well.

- A hyper can improve numbers...only because more air is allowed in. It is a very small increase...less than 5%. Allowing more air in can be accomplished in many otherways than paying the bucks for a hyper.

Good luck...what I have seen lately is someone will make their first post a question...then never reply back. I hope you get and/or find the answers you are looking for...keep asking.

Bull
-

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
All name brand coolent is silicant free. Color makes no difference. 50/50 mix is recommended by all wrenches and manufacturers. Motorcycle brand name is AD hype.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Evans is the expensive engine ice with same claims. Just pure glycol............

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Get some Long Life or extended Life Anti-freeze and use it for 5 years or whatever is specified...

What concentration of water/coolant???
I saw 63% recommended for cold climates on a jug.

http://prestone.com/learn_more/frequently_asked_questions?select_region=1

Q:
What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I use 100% antifreeze?
A:
We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boil-over protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boil-over protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a Prestone® Antifreeze Coolant Tester.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Exactlt Why

Get some Long Life or extended Life Anti-freeze and use it for 5 years or whatever is specified...

What concentration of water/coolant???
I saw 63% recommended for cold climates on a jug.

http://prestone.com/learn_more/frequently_asked_questions?select_region=1

Q:
What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I use 100% antifreeze?
A:
We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boil-over protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boil-over protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a Prestone® Antifreeze Coolant Tester.
I read all of that too! And rather than become an expert antifreeze, I just bough the right crap from the dealer and I don't worry about anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts