Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
go out riding just enjoying the day in the countryside and the x starts to spit and spudder, so you reach down to put it on reserve and its already on reserve..AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH crap well i get off and start to push it(the x pushes real ez thought i had my hd back.)only had about a mile to the gas station, well i went about 10 ft. and a suv pulled over to give me a ride great! they said nice bike , it would be better with gas in it,thanks. so i had a 16 0z. water bottle and filled that up at $3.12 a gallon it took 44cents ,wow the water cost $1.19 so gas is cheaper than water . :shock:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had it happen, but I was in the middle of nowhere.....Finally was able to walk to a house with someone home and the guy actually worked for a gas company and hooked me up with 5 gallons of gas for free. My fiance took him some cookies a week later since I would have been SOL if he was not home.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have kept pretty close eye on my Odom so i have yet to need to put mine on reserve, but with what you just wrote i might think about a gatorade bottle full in the saddle bag for when i am on a trip might come in handy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The other day she started to act up, gas station right there, what the heck, I figure I just fill it up now instead of hitting the reserve. Fill up ride home. Now my baby needs a bath. Oh whats this I was already in reserve! :shock: That was close. I suddenly remember I switched to reserve two days ago on my way to work! :shock: Some days I can be a real bone head! :lol:
i might think about a gatorade bottle full in the saddle bag for when i am on a trip might come in handy.
would this be safe to do. I thought gas needed to be vented some how when stored?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last week on the way to work, I was a little early so I thought I'll just ride a few minutes. You guessed it - cough, sputter.....already on reserve. I call my oldest son (18, and smarter than you) to bring me some gas. He pulls up and starts yelling at me about being irresponsible, not paying attention, endangering my job by being late, etc. In my world kids don't yell at adults, so I start toward him :evil: . He breaks into this big smile and says "If you think you get to run out of gas, call me out to come get you, and not even get yelled at, you're out of your mind!"...............My exact words to him about 2 weeks earlier when I had to go pull his car out of a ditch! :roll:

Guess what goes around comes around!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Been there before, too. Here's a trick to get you about a half mile or more farther down the road:

Rock the bike back and forth several times, and re-crank it. When it runs out again, repeat. You'll finally run ENTIRELY out of gas, but you'll be much farther down the road.

:)

Eddie

·
Registered
40 Posts
o-jay said:
Last week on the way to work, I was a little early so I thought I'll just ride a few minutes. You guessed it - cough, sputter.....already on reserve. I call my oldest son (18, and smarter than you) to bring me some gas. He pulls up and starts yelling at me about being irresponsible, not paying attention, endangering my job by being late, etc. In my world kids don't yell at adults, so I start toward him :evil: . He breaks into this big smile and says "If you think you get to run out of gas, call me out to come get you, and not even get yelled at, you're out of your mind!"...............My exact words to him about 2 weeks earlier when I had to go pull his car out of a ditch! :roll:

Guess what goes around comes around!
thats a Classic :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Over two years ago when I bought my bike it had been 20+years since I had rode a bike. The salesman told me they would prep it and fill it up for me to pick it up on Sat. It's 45 miles from the dealers to my house. About half way home it runs out of gas. I was so mad about them not filling it up I called them and asked for the salesman. After being on hold for 5 minutes I hung up and told my wife (who was following me in the car) to go get me some gas. Later that evening I sat down at home and was reading my new owners manual and ran across this stuff about the reserve tank. OMG.....I'd completely forgotten about it. Guess you know my wife's response when I told her.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just star riding my BTX 1300 C yestrday after 2 monts riding a Aero 750, on that bike i have to turn to reserve at about 140 to 150 miles, now how many miles can i have in the VTX? on high way driving?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
YMMV....couldn't resist. :twisted:

I think I was at about 160 on Highway a few weeks ago before getting sputtery.....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I came around a curve the other day in my truck and there on the side of the road was Yamaha cruiser with no rider. There he was walking with helmet in hand and head down. I pulled over and he jumped in. Not much was said except that he could get a ride back from a friend who he was going to call to bring a gas can. I told him about my 1300, and he told me about his Yamaha.I dropped him off at the nearest gas station and drove off. Some things like, "How did you run out of gas" are just not talked about.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Took a long road trip, solo, from Jacksonville, Fl. to the north Georgia mountains. Refreshing mountain air, very few cars if any on the route I chose. In fact nothing but road, mountains and wooded mountain passes. It was a late evening on a Sunday, about 10:00 pm. Cough, sputter, sputter, and of course I had forgotten about the reserve already engaged. Coasted to the side where I was overlooking a beautiful sunset barely peeking through the mountain valley where it disappeared turning the sky red, orange, purple, then eventually black. Very black, no moon, no street lights. Freakin' hoot owls in the distance echoing for what seemed miles away. Only light I had was my headlight and the stars. Turned the key off on my bike, lights out... Absolute silence that was almost deafening. Pulled out the cell and no signal. At least 30 miles from the last known civilization. At least I had my leathers with me. So I pulled on my jacket and chaps. Still, no sound at all, except for those damn owls way off in the distance. Had been pretty warm during the day but the mountains get cold at night, very cold... After considering a hike to find fuel and then eventually discouraging myself from venturing too far dressed in all black leathers at night I decided to camp out with the X. At approx. 3 am monday morning I was awaken by the unmistakable rumble of motorcycle pipes, I listened intently, sometimes straining, could they be on another road in the distance going in the opposite direction ? Did they already pass me while I was out cold ? Finally after 10-15 minutes they got louder until about a 1/4 mile away I saw a reflection of chrome and light, then it went out of sight, then to my relief I saw another bike coming down my road in my direction. Thank God !! And guess what.... It was a dude on a VTX riding in to his job. I waved him down and after expressing my appreciation for stopping and explaining my predicament he reached into his saddlebag and handed me an aluminum camping stove fuel bottle, about a quart in size, full of that sweet nectar called Unleaded gas. He said that I can keep the bottle because he has plenty of them at his disposal from his job. This little adventure happened about a year and a half ago and to this day, I still have that bottle and I keep it FULL and tucked away in my saddlebag. So go buy one at your sporting goods store, they come in all sizes and are designed for fuel storage. Fill it up and keep it in your bag. Oh, and by the way, keep a flashlight in there too...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thunderangel you should write a book ,that was awsome! :lol: dont have saddlebags cant find a set i like on the c model

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
gildagu said:
I just star riding my BTX 1300 C yestrday after 2 monts riding a Aero 750, on that bike i have to turn to reserve at about 140 to 150 miles, now how many miles can i have in the VTX? on high way driving?
I had the 04 Shadow Aero, nice bike. You should have been getting better mileage than that on it though but I guess it was only two months old so the better mileage may not have kicked in, in that time... The VTX, you should get about 32-38 mpg for the first little while if it's brand new, but once it breaks in, you should be reaching between 140 to 160 per tank depending on your type of riding. The X can reach up to 55 mpg (that's the best I've heard of anyway). Have fun with it. :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was doing a lot of in town drivin a lot of idle time before that, then went crusin and didnt put brain in gear duh :oops: i actually put it on reserve a couple of days earlier just forgot

·
Registered
152 Posts
kb9ylu, In response to your "not having bags" try a handlebar bag or a skinny tool bag. Should be enough for a small fuel bottle and 1 small but strong LED flashlight. Just an idea...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I flip the gas cap lock cover open when I switch to reserve. Reminds me I'm on reserve and need gas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts