Honda VTX Forum banner

**EVER WONDER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU'VE SPENT**

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  TennX 
#1 ·
Have you stopped to think how much money you've dropped on bikes , past and present? Probably could have bought and paid for a house or two with what I've spent starting back around 1970 or so buying dirt bikes then moving up to street machines. Never considered the cost and still don't but it is humorous to look back at those fine motorcycles and wonder what color the 'vette could have been. TTT(MIKE)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How much money?
It does not matter to me.
After I threw out my drunk ex-wife and divorced her I was left raising two boys of 8 and 11 by myself.
Divorcing her and then raising these two boys, now 27 and 30, was the best and proudest thing I have ever done in my life.
But I needed some time for myself, bought a Suzuki DRZ400.
Small trips, then two off-road bikes for the little ones. What a blast.
Seven years later I bough my used 2003 1800s with 14k miles. Small trips, but the older the boys got the longer the trips became.
When they were off to college it was DADDY TIME! I have done 103k miles on the VTX and hope to do many more.
How much money?
I don't care. Worth every penny.

#5 ·
Hobbies like classic, hot rod cars and trucks cost a whole lot more than motorcycles which I have never realy been into, just owning stock autos for basic transportation.I've always had a strong interest in motorcycles since I was a teenager. I think motorcycles are a cheaper pass time sport to be in than automotive. Yes I have spent a lot of money over the years on bikes, parts.and tools. I think when you get enjoyment out of something you don't let the money part worry you too much.

#8 ·
I think when you get enjoyment out of something you don't let the money part worry you too much.
Money is a strange beast and it's pursuit can quickly become life's main obsession. Either we have enough or we don't. May we both have enough to keep the tanks well above empty. TTT(MIKE)

#6 ·
nope don't think about it, probably could have retired if I had banked or invested the money spent on motorcycles, hot rods, sports cars, tools, and technology.

but where is the fun in that? retired and sit on my ass doing nothing but have lots of money to do nothing with? its about balance, still make good money, still invest that money, will retire soon and be able to enjoy life, play with my toys, and have some good time and good memories with family and friends to remember me by.

there is an old saying (and a song):. I'd rather take years off my life than take life off my years.

#9 ·
Well, you can spend it in increments, for incremental gratification, or you can live in a cave and spend it all at once on a huge villa. Having survived a cancer scare, I can tell you that there is never a guarantee you'll make it to enjoy the villa. For me, better to enjoy as many of life's moments as possible. JMHO

#12 ·
When you buy a ocean going boat/ ship they say plan for paying out 10% of your purchase price per year on maintainance. I think that on average, motorcycles, (not just the VTX) that works out about right. It is my nature to not give a jot about the money I spend on motorcycles. Money, once passed through your hands, for whatever, is money to be forgotton.

#18 ·
I’ve put a lot of money in every bike I’ve ever had and it was and is worth every penny for me!! I want a newer Spyder before I get too old to hold up 2 wheels but hopefully that is a long time coming! I ride the wife’s Spyder after I service or repair and enjoy the ride but I want the laid out model so that’ll be her next bike. I’ve convinced her that’s what she want too!

#19 ·
You can't get rid of the Spidey-mobile!!!

Reactions: Harkon
#21 ·
I've owned 11 street bikes in about 40 years of riding and I'm confident they've saved me much more money than I've spent on them. Every one I've owned I resold for close to what I put into them, and all the years of buying and owning bikes kept me from doing the same with cars, and I'm still driving the same truck (my '92 Toyota below) I bought back in '93 (29 years ago).

Riding bikes daily allowed me to keep the miles on my truck super low, so it lasted so long, keeping me from having to buy new cars.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: DrDolittle
#27 ·
I put the Progressive shock front and back on hers and greatly improved the ride and it does lean a little more but you’re right it isn’t 2 wheels!! I love the lean but if I ever had to choose 3 wheels or not riding I’d pick riding any day!!

Reactions: rangers4u
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.