Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Wayne Allyn Root. I'm an SOB (son of a butcher). I understand this "white privilege" controversy like no one person on Earth.

I've never had it. I've never even had a whiff of it. That's why I have no "white guilt." I have nothing to be guilty about. But I have met plenty of privileged white kids. You know what you call them? Liberal Democrats. More on that in a minute.

First, my background. My Jewish ancestors were far more likely to be slaves than to have one. My ancestors were persecuted, abused, robbed, enslaved and murdered by government -- just like Black Americans.

My Jewish grandparents got to America in the early 1900s -- long after slavery. They settled in New York City, not the South. If they ever met anyone from the Ku Klux Klan, it was only because they were being persecuted by white extremists -- just like Black Americans.

My father fought in World War II and faced sure death at Okinawa. Was that "white privilege"? He spent the rest of his life as a blue-collar butcher. He woke at 3 a.m. every day to drive to the meat market in the dark and freezing cold and buy the wholesale meat he'd sell at his shop. My father struggled his entire life as a working-class man and died with an estate of nothing (other than his home).

He worried every hour of every day how he'd pay his bills. No one gave him anything in his life -- let alone because he was white.

So, where was his "white privilege"? Can liberals please explain where all that hidden privilege was? Because my dad's story is the story of most middle-class white Americans. We are the "silent majority" that supports President Donald Trump. We've never caught a whiff of "white privilege."

My personal story is all about Black and white. I attended a rough urban high school on the Bronx borderline that was 90% Black. I was one of the few white kids out of 4,000 students. I was tortured 24/7 for being "the minority." I was beaten a hundred times. I was chased home from school, terrified, fearing for my life. My lunch money was stolen so often I stopped going to lunch. I knew better than to ever go to the school bathroom. That's where kids were terrorized and robbed. I was almost murdered by a thug with a machete. Is that what you call "white privilege"?

But, eventually, I learned to fight, knocked out a few bullies, became an athlete and won my classmates' respect. I graduated valedictorian and was accepted to my dream school, Columbia University.

That's where I first learned about "white privilege." As a matter of fact, almost every one of my classmates at Columbia University had it. They were almost all lucky-sperm-club, spoiled-brat, filthy-rich kids with rich, powerful fathers who opened every door for them, greased every wheel. They had everything handed to them on a silver platter, with no effort necessary.

Now that's white privilege.

Oh, and where did all these little spoiled brats with "white privilege" wind up? Today, my Ivy League classmates are mostly powerful politicians, lawyers and media figures.

So, "white privilege" is real. But it is only enjoyed by 1 percent of 1 percent of 1 percent of the country. And trust me, virtually every one of them is a liberal Democrat. Every classmate I ever met who was born rich was a liberal Democrat who hated Ronald Reagan, hated white people (even though they were all white), hated capitalism and hated America.

Today, they all hate President Trump.

So, yes, there is "white privilege." But it isn't me. Don't try to hang that guilt trip on me. I have no white guilt. This son of a butcher has earned every ounce of my success. That applies to 99 percent of the 63 million Trump voters. No one ever gave us anything. We don't owe anyone anything. "White privilege" exists. But we've never experienced it.

So, it's a free country. Everyone has free speech. March and protest for Black Lives Matter to your heart's content. Just do it peacefully. And understand that the tiny percentage of Americans who actually have "white privilege" are spoiled-brat, Ivy League-educated white liberals.

Whenever you meet a liberal lawyer, powerful Democratic politician or member of the media, there's your "white privilege." They're the ones you should be angry with. They're the ones you should be protesting.

So much for "white privilege."

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
This is extremely weak reasoning. The befuddled author claims that he has never experienced privilege, and then goes on to make the blindly biased claim that only rich liberal Democrats benefit from white privilege. Such foolishness.

There are two popular lies that many people seem eager to embrace almost always.

Some folks totally identify with the myth that they are a victim, and that whatever material advantages or other dreams that have not been fulfilled for them is the obvious evidence of their victimization. Buying into this lie absolves you of accountability for your own weak efforts and poor choices.

Some folks buy into the myth that all the success they have experienced is somehow the sole product of their own hard work, perseverance and intelligence. It might be a somewhat more defensible philosophy than the sad victim, but it’s probably not a fully self-aware assessment. Take the author of the OP for instance... he cites his own Jewish heritage as evidence of his persecution, but fails to credit the cultural emphasis on academic achievement that undoubtedly contributed to his Ivy League educational foundation.

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is extremely weak reasoning. The befuddled author claims that he has never experienced privilege, and then goes on to make the blindly biased claim that only rich liberal Democrats benefit from white privilege. Such foolishness.

There are two popular lies that many people seem eager to embrace almost always.

Some folks totally identify with the myth that they are a victim, and that whatever material advantages or other dreams that have not been fulfilled for them is the obvious evidence of their victimization. Buying into this lie absolves you of accountability for your own weak efforts and poor choices.

Some folks buy into the myth that all the success they have experienced is somehow the sole product of their own hard work, perseverance and intelligence. It might be a somewhat more defensible philosophy than the sad victim, but it’s probably not a fully self-aware assessment. Take the author of the OP for instance... he cites his own Jewish heritage as evidence of his persecution, but fails to credit the cultural emphasis on academic achievement that undoubtedly contributed to his Ivy League educational foundation.
"You Didn't Build That."

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts

I think it's readily understood we all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us. Whether or not his culture helped build his future, I think the message stands. He may have found some privilege somewhere, and those rich kids as well, but it has nothing to do with being white. There are black, brown and Asian Kids born with a silver spoon as well. Whatever privilege he may or may not have had, was granted by his father, mother and heritage. It's got nothing to do with being white, necessarily.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I think it's readily understood we all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us.
Agreed. We all start with certain advantages and disadvantages. So for this particular self-pitying crybaby to say “hey, you ought to resent THOSE people, be mad at THEM” is just more hypocrisy. He would be on much more sensible ground if his message was to resist the temptation of jealousy and envy, and redouble your efforts to make the most of what you’ve got”.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Agreed. We all start with certain advantages and disadvantages. So for this particular self-pitying crybaby to say “hey, you ought to resent THOSE people, be mad at THEM” is just more hypocrisy. He would be on much more sensible ground if his message was to resist the temptation of jealousy and envy, and redouble your efforts to make the most of what you’ve got”.
I don't know the author resents anything, other than being accused / berated for having some mythical privilege. It's in many people's DNA to try to correct injustice. He's feeling that the placing of "white privilege" on his shoulders is unjust. I think your description of him is quite harsh

In the end your message is absolutely correct. Anyone who has earned their way to a better life than their parents, as hard as they worked for it, has a great deal to be thankful for. I know I do. I might have been born in a country where opportunity is indeed rare, if not altogether absent.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
...And understand that the tiny percentage of Americans who actually have "white privilege" are spoiled-brat, Ivy League-educated white liberals.

Whenever you meet a liberal lawyer, powerful Democratic politician or member of the media, there's your "white privilege." They're the ones you should be angry with. They're the ones you should be protesting.
I don't know the author resents anything, other than being accused / berated for having some mythical privilege.
It’s quite understandable if you chose not to endure all of Mr Root’s whine fest. But when he says (paraphrasing), “Hey, I earned everything myself, but yeah - those other guys - you are right; you really should resent them”, he is buying into the whole sniveling envy thing. I can’t endorse such nonsense.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Yet more desperate attempt to deny White Privilege exists. Proven :rolleyes: (((sarcarm))) by posting a rant by a known conspiracy theorist (Root) and author the book, White Angry Male, which is no doubt a best seller among the KKK for it's message that White males are threatened with being, "virtually wiped off the planet".

Regardless of the bias background of the rant author, the message yet again simply echos the ignorance of what White Privilege is by yet again ranting about a white mans financial struggle, totally missing the point of comparison advantage of White over colored people within that struggle.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
It’s quite understandable if you chose not to endure all of Mr Root’s whine fest. But when he says (paraphrasing), “Hey, I earned everything myself, but yeah - those other guys - you are right; you really should resent them”, he is buying into the whole sniveling envy thing. I can’t endorse such nonsense.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did he say that? Show me the quote.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Where did he say that? Show me the quote.
I think where he says you should hate the white spoiled brats who had it all handed to them. I took it to mean that if you're going to call out privilege, that's who you should be pointing at. I didn't take it to mean that he, personally, resented them. But, if you resent anyone, pick them first. That's how I read it anyway. I think it can read a number of ways, depending on what you want to find there.

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think where he says you should hate the white spoiled brats who had it all handed to them. I took it to mean that if you're going to call out privilege, that's who you should be pointing at. I didn't take it to mean that he, personally, resented them. But, if you resent anyone, pick them first. That's how I read it anyway. I think it can read a number of ways, depending on what you want to find there.
Got it! (y)

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Says the guy that has interacted with as many black people his whole life as I do in a single day.
My current best friend is African American and one of my other best friends of 25 years was also, but that has zero relevance. I suppose you're trying to imply that one can't venture an opinion about a race without interacting with that race? I haven't interacted with any Native American Indians that I'm aware of, but I can still venture an educated opinion about the systematic slaughter of their race by Whites. Anyone who is a student of history, poverty and sociology can venture an educated opinion about the validity of White Privilege.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I haven't interacted with any Native American Indians that I'm aware of, but I can still venture an educated opinion ......
I’m thinking someone who says “Native American Indian” is going to be hard pressed to offer an educated opinion about anything. Similarly, I would also shrug off the blubbering chatter of someone who said “Negro African-Americans”.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
.............., he is buying into the whole sniveling envy thing. I can’t endorse such nonsense.
I'm ready for a glowing example....yourself perhaps.

:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
yet again simply echos the ignorance of what White Privilege is by yet again
Ahhhh ... there it is. I was wondering when we'd see it. Several posts without it ... I was needing a hit. I think this stretch is close to a record.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I’m thinking someone who says “Native American Indian” is going to be hard pressed to offer an educated opinion about anything. Similarly, I would also shrug off the blubbering chatter of someone who said “Negro African-Americans”.
Bad comparison. Adding "Native" to American Indian isn't to clarify which Indian's I was referring to, but rather was used as a reminder (no everyone remembers) that they were here 1st. It adds context. The English language is full of redundant phrases (You've never said, "It's twelve midnight?") this doesn't mean anyone who utters a redundant phrase has disqualified their intellect. Stating such would be pompous and likely clueless of your own such utterances.

Reactions: DrDolittle
1 - 20 of 31 Posts