Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the bridgestone excedra tires and if so how do you like them. Thanks in advance. Ride safe

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not picking on your choice, or anyone's for that matter, but I have wondered why the grass looks so much greener...
You know, if a certain size isn't available, or you have a special application... I can understand why someone may switch to another brand. But Dunlap spends gobs of money on research for the best compounds, tread design etc. Their record for winning races is a benchmark.
If its prices, IMO, this is not the place to scrimp. The tires designed for this bike are really good. And they were designed for the bike. Size matters, too. The diameter, height, width were all inputted with suspension design and changing any of those, will cause a change in handling.
If you disagree, I want to see/hear some quantitative evidence, not some butt-feel subjective evidence.
Of course, fatties do look cool...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Too bad no carry over posts from original board .....

dd3genrider said:
Not picking on your choice, or anyone's for that matter, but I have wondered why the grass looks so much greener...
You know, if a certain size isn't available, or you have a special application... I can understand why someone may switch to another brand. But Dunlap spends gobs of money on research for the best compounds, tread design etc. Their record for winning races is a benchmark.
If its prices, IMO, this is not the place to scrimp. The tires designed for this bike are really good. And they were designed for the bike. Size matters, too. The diameter, height, width were all inputted with suspension design and changing any of those, will cause a change in handling.
If you disagree, I want to see/hear some quantitative evidence, not some butt-feel subjective evidence.
Of course, fatties do look cool...
The quantitative info was thick, as many people were having loads of cupping & premature wear problems with the Dunflops. Some were able to get covered under warranty, others not so lucky. I myself having taken delivery of my 1800C in August 2001, found this site shortly thereafter & one of the big issues at the time were Dunlops, tire pressure & the need to increase it over factory recommendations. Even after doing so, I was lucky to get 5K out of my tires. They were cupped so badly you felt like you were riding on a washboard road all the time.
Now have over 15K on my Meltzer’s & not one iota of trouble. Say what you will about research, development, testing & racing. But I think many on this board could give first hand experience that the Dunies flat out didn't deliver!
Chet's write up explains in detail. http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

·
Registered
278 Posts
Motorcycledaily.com

From "fastdates.com" regarding Daytona and Dunlop

Editor's note: Michelin successfully concluded it's Superbike tire tests at Daytona the week before with Team Austin Ducati running theWorld Championship winning factory 999 Superbike and Valvoline EMGO Suzuki their GSXR1000, both without tire failures. Troy Corser reportedly broke 200mph at Daytona on his Michelin tire equipped factory Ducati back in 1999 without tire problems. Nor has Michelin experienced any major tire failures in MotoGP where the factory bikes turn out 200-240hp. The tire failure problems in AMA Superbike are definetlyan inherent Dunlop design problem and the factory teams Yoshimua Suzuki and Honda may be forced to leave theirbig bucks tire sponsor Dunlop for another tire brand.

Hot on Ruben's exhaust pipe was Gregorio Lavilla with the GSXR and James Toseland on the HM Pant Ducati, but in the closing laps both riders found their Dunlop rear tires chunking and Toseland had to retire to the pits. Dunlop has being trying to enter the World Championship arena, but even in American Superbike, has been having a difficult time developing a new tire for the new generation of high horsepower 1000cc Superbikes.

Draw your own conclusion...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts