Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a '05 1800 last week. Going over it there is a loose baffel vibrating in tbe top (stacked) pipe. Don't know the brand ,but they are black. They are not V&H. Anyone, what would be the best way to secure that issue,to stop the vibrating? Going over the bike to get a baseline on fluids, and routine maintenance as It came with no records on the history of the bike.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
How far from the end?
Any screws visible?
Some have less than 360 degrees heat shield, pull if off.
You may see something..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 4" from the end of the tail pipe. There is a 3" end cap attached with a screw. I can reach the baffel with my middle finger.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
About 4" from the end of the tail pipe. There is a 3" end cap attached with a screw. I can reach the baffel with my middle finger.
Is it missing the bolt that holds the baffle, or is it just loose? Either way, the baffle is secured with a tight bolt and you'll have to figure how to make it tight so it doesn't rattle. My HK3" had a single bolt a foot or so from the outlet. I wanted to add some baffling, tone down the roar a bit. I added Smartz Baffles, a 4-1/2" that fits just inside the HK endcaps. No way to secure the Smartz Baffle other than that single endcap bolt, and they would rattle against the HK baffle because they didn't match up with their diameters. I took some fiberglas wrap and with a couple loops and a piece of mechanics wire to hold it in place, sort of shoved it inside the HK baffle.I then drilled an extra hole through the end of the HK endcaps to add a second bolt to secure the Smartz Baffle. I used a stainless acorn nut on the small machine screw I used. Decided I liked it enough to drill a third screw hole and acorn nut. Very secure now. And about 10-15% quieter than it used to be. With no rattle.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Are the heat shields welded to the main pipe?
My HK 2.5" pipe is welded to the heat shields in several places.
At the rear of the pipe-bracket attachment is a wide strap that is welded
to the shield and pipe, it has the model # stamped on it.
Fran is your HK3 about the same?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
64,346 Posts
I took my baffles out, and then gently stepped on the non-screw end to make it slightly out of round. Then forced it back in the pipes and put the screws back in and no more buzzing

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I agree, there must be a bolt holding the baffle in. It usually faces toward the motorcycle (to be hidden from plain sight). If the bolt is missing, I'd check the other pipe, the baffle and bolt placement on longer pipes tends to be pretty similar. You might find an empty hole where the bolt used to be. Or you might find the bolt. I'd remove it and remove the baffle for inspection. Something might be broken.
Got pictures?

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Are the heat shields welded to the main pipe?
My HK 2.5" pipe is welded to the heat shields in several places.
At the rear of the pipe-bracket attachment is a wide strap that is welded
to the shield and pipe, it has the model # stamped on it.
Fran is your HK3 about the same?
I believe it is. Somewhere back in the early 2000's, there were reports of HK heat shield welds breaking on the early model years they were made, but the problem was supposedly remedied on later ones. I have no idea when the updated pipe fix began. I can only hope my current ones were made after that elusive date.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I agree, there must be a bolt holding the baffle in. It usually faces toward the motorcycle (to be hidden from plain sight). If the bolt is missing, I'd check the other pipe, the baffle and bolt placement on longer pipes tends to be pretty similar. You might find an empty hole where the bolt used to be. Or you might find the bolt. I'd remove it and remove the baffle for inspection. Something might be broken.
Got pictures?
The baffle bolt on mine, if you look forward from the rear of the bike, the head of the bolt is on the left or inside of the pipe. It threads into the baffle. Believe me, if the bolt is out, it takes a lot of maneuvering to get it to line back up to tighten. If possible though you should pull the baffle out to inspect it and see how everything lines up.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was mistakenly thought the end cap was 3" .It measure 1/4" and a screw held it to the pipe. I removed the cap and the baffel has a tab close to the end. I don't weld, but my neighbor does across the street. I'm going to get him to tack weld both baffels to eliminate any future rattles in the pipes...thx for everyone's input...much appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts