Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure somewhere this question has been asked and answered but I am wondering if anyone has ever taken off the mufflers and heat shields on their 1300 and welded straight pipes on and wrapped with exhaust wrap? If so, how did they sound? For you guys that are more mechanically inclind- Are there any issues with doing this if the bike were to be jetted? I own a '07 1300 C and I'm just trying to weight options at this point as I live on a very tight budget being a single father. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
welcome cinncybb...

to the board. You will get lots of good advice and opinions here, from more knowledgeable people than me, but I don't know of too many here that have done major modifications like you have suggested. Having said that, I did a major mod to mine that I will tell about. I did the clayton mod first, (do a search for this if you haven't already on youtube.) It was ok, but I needed more. One day, told my 20 yr. old about my idea, and he helped me remove the heat shields , we cut the rear end of the mufflers / and baffles out, then reattached the heat shields. It was LOUD. Sounded ok while accelerating, HORRIBLE if just idling, kinda had some weird pipe sounds, hard to explain. Had a few compliments from Harley guys, (they couldn't really hear it over there own, while riding alongside:lol:. Rode it for the summer, couple of months longer, then broke down and bought the BUBS. If you were close by, I'd let you use my mod stockers, but that is not the case. My recommendations on this would be : Save your time, money, and stock pipes, and be patient. Listen to as many different brands of pipe in PERSON if possible, and when the time is right, buy an aftermarket brand pipe. As for me, I LOVE the BUBS, and they do sound good at most all the time, but especially at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
No problems if you just do the pipes. If you change the intake you will have to rejet. I have HK'2 and run them Straight. I'm not sure if you know how loud they really are. I'm good when I come home at night and keep the as quite as I can. But they are very loud. When I come home during the day and I'm on it, my wife know's I'm on my way from from block away. Just something you might want to think about, Smitt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... Looks like I may have a set of Cobra Dragsters from a member on here. Trying to finalize the order now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW would you guys recommend doing a stage 1 re-jet with the Cobra Drags? I've read a few different places that it is and isn't needed. Some say you can adjust valve under the airbox (?)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Unless you change the intake you don't have to rejet, Smitt
BTW would you guys recommend doing a stage 1 re-jet with the Cobra Drags? I've read a few different places that it is and isn't needed. Some say you can adjust valve under the airbox (?)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Whatever happened to the guy that was doing this with stock headers and was supposed to be putting sound bites

·
Registered
669 Posts
I wouldn't see anything different mechanically than running a set of aftermarket pipes and taking the baffles out of them, like everything with motorcycles, it's trial and error, try it, if it runs good and you like it great, if it doesn't run good you can always start with a scar mod (do a search) all you'll need is 2-3 dollars of washers from radio shack and a pair of toenail clippers.

as far as how it sounds, who knows, and anyway you might like it and the next guy might think it sounds horrible, the point is its your bike do what you want to it, if you like it great, if not do something else to it

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
All ya gotta do is pull the mufflers, crank it up and see if you like it. I heard one like that and it sound like ****, but that's my option. You will lose bottom in torque, but Big City monster baffles makes a small insert with a washer welded in it to bring it back.

Thunder
Monster Baffles for large diameter mufflers, ie. - ie. If you have installed aftermarket mufflers or you have “gutted” your stock mufflers, drilled them out, removed or modified the baffles, have a free flowing type baffle, or have an application in which you are not able to install the Thunder Monster baffles in the rear portion of the pipe, Big City Thunder has a Thunder Monster baffle that installs in the exit end of the head pipe where it joins the muffler. As with all our other products the Thunder Monster baffles will provide the proper amount of back pressure, flow the exhaust gases properly and deal with reversion. The Thunder Monster baffles will also provide a deeper, throatier, hot rod/hot bike sound. . $79.95 per pair + S&H*

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I agree with it sounding like crap. Mine sounded great on take off, as long as you had a load on the bike. ( after I shorten them ) decell sounded like a can of marbles. A buddy said to put a funnel looking spacer between the head and the pipes. I'm not sure where he got them from and not sure what they are called. But added back pressure, so my the bottom end came back and sounded great. Some one on here has to know about them. Pretty sure he found them on line. But the sound is going to depend on how much you cut off. Then when mine were stock, not as short, they sounded great with out the baffles. Trial and error. But start small, you can take more off but can't put it back on. Smitt
All ya gotta do is pull the mufflers, crank it up and see is you like it. I heard one like that and it sound like ****, but that's my option. You will lose bottom in torque, but Big City monster baffles makes a small insert with a washer welded in it to bring it back.

Thunder
Monster Baffles for large diameter mufflers, ie. - ie. If you have installed aftermarket mufflers or you have “gutted” your stock mufflers, drilled them out, removed or modified the baffles, have a free flowing type baffle, or have an application in which you are not able to install the Thunder Monster baffles in the rear portion of the pipe, Big City Thunder has a Thunder Monster baffle that installs in the exit end of the head pipe where it joins the muffler. As with all our other products the Thunder Monster baffles will provide the proper amount of back pressure, flow the exhaust gases properly and deal with reversion. The Thunder Monster baffles will also provide a deeper, throatier, hot rod/hot bike sound. . $79.95 per pair + S&H*

·
Registered
389 Posts
as blunt as i can be its holy **** loud enough to just about make your ears bleed but damn was it fun ram roding it around the block once.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I agree with it sounding like crap. Mine sounded great on take off, as long as you had a load on the bike. ( after I shorten them ) decell sounded like a can of marbles. A buddy said to put a funnel looking spacer between the head and the pipes. I'm not sure where he got them from and not sure what they are called. But added back pressure, so my the bottom end came back and sounded great. Some one on here has to know about them. Pretty sure he found them on line. But the sound is going to depend on how much you cut off. Then when mine were stock, not as short, they sounded great with out the baffles. Trial and error. But start small, you can take more off but can't put it back on. Smitt
These? http://motorcycle-accessories.cruisercustomizing.com/accessories/Power Cones?utm_campaign=sitechampion&utm_medium=sli&utm_source=google

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the info and insight. I have my exhaust delema fixed as I just sent over payment to Wood42 for a set of 2" Cobra Dragsters. Really looking forward to getting these on next week and seeing how they sound. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That;s them, they make a big different, good find , Easy,,Smitt
All ya gotta do is pull the mufflers, crank it up and see if you like it. I heard one like that and it sound like ****, but that's my option. You will lose bottom in torque, but Big City monster baffles makes a small insert with a washer welded in it to bring it back.

Thunder

1 - 20 of 20 Posts