Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VTX came with V&H Big Shots and I installed their "quiet" glass-pack baffles. They slid nicely into place and I secured them with the single bolt.

However, now I cannot remove them after a few miles. The bolt comes out and the baffle spins freely and I can pull it back about 1/2" but it won't come out all the way.
Is the glass-packing getting bunched up and preventing me from pulling it out all the way?

How would you recommend to remove the baffles?
TIA for any helpful advice.
Lou

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you want to remove it? I had the same problem, alot of twisting pushing and pulling, maybe get creative with a slide hammer. Yes the packing is bunching up.
Why remove it? To get it out. >:)
But seriously, you confirm my suspicion on the packing bunching up. Sucks. I should have wrapped it in tin foil before installation. I thought I was silly to even consider it because the manufacturer certainly knows what they're doing, right? Right? :)

Don't own a slide hammer. Might be a time to finally buy one. *sigh*
So more lubricant and twisting.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
Yes, more lube will help. For a slide hammer, do this. Get some 3/16" rod, long enough to get to the front part of the baffle, and bend the end into a hook. Slide the rod in and hook it in. Using your largest vice-grips, lock onto the rod, back far enough that you can use a hammer right close to the potion where the vice-grips are clamped to the rod. Being anything but gentle, give it a good whack, and look for progress. Presto, home made slide hammer substitute. I used the heaviest oxy-acetylene filler rod I had. Did the trick for me.

Just a note ... too much oil in the packing will require new packing material. Oil will cause the packing to mat and compress. Takes the fluffy out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
The baffle deepens the tone and takes away some of the harsh blat sound. It still, very much, has a cammed Nascar sound to it though. I really liked the sound.

·
Super Moderator
63,661 Posts
I'll ask too....Why after putting them in...why? Use a slide hammer and you will destroy the baffles and may even destroy the pipes. The other way to get them out is leave them in a year or so and much of the baffle material will have been blown out by then and then you can remove them easily

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I was going to repack mine as they are getting loud again. May leave them in a couple more years, lol.. Dam..

They are better with the baffles IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts